Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Spark Plug Tube Seal Specifics

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 05:25 PM
ihdnx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spark Plug Tube Seal Specifics

So my '03 has been misfiring lately, I figured it was time to replace the spark plugs. Upon removing old spark plugs I found a considerate amount of oil in my plug wells in the 3 cylinders on the drivers side. After installing new spark plugs, I started the car and could see/smell all the said oil being ignited. After about 20 miles though the misfire returned. Now realizing that a valve cover gasket itself would not be sufficient, I contacted my local Nissan dealership to ask if the spark plug tube seals came with the valve cover gasket. That is when I found out Nissan did us all a solid by manufacturing the tube seals into the valve cover as one. After doing some mild research I'm almost positive the information I reviewed via Nissan is true. So onto the important things: can I get absolute confirmation from a credible source that this is true? If so, do I have any alternatives to replacing my valve covers on a temporary basis(ie, a sealant of some sort)? Lastly, is there a way to replace the tube seals themselves despite what I've been informed of? I know this has been somewhat covered before but for future reference sake, I would appreciate it if I could have some straight forward answers. Yes that means leaving the politics/flaming out of this post if possible. Thanks for taking the time to look at my post and understanding my low tolerance for ********.
Old 10-01-2014, 10:24 PM
johnx818

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

https://my350z.com/forum/maintenance...placement.html
Old 10-02-2014, 04:45 AM
ihdnx

former to posting i did stumble across this but not this exact thread. thank you for sharing i was wondering if there was an actual video.
Old 10-02-2014, 10:16 AM
Arsenal350

I did it myself using Altima 3.5 valve covers and pulling the tube seals from that. I posted a few pictures here: https://my350z.com/forum/maintenance...ransplant.html