Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Shifter Alignment -

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 10:14 PM
Chromatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Shifter Alignment -

I've had some work done that required the transmission dropped, shifter out.. and resulted in the shifter now going too far to the right.

Essentially the shifter before the work stopped at the far right and directly UP was 5th. Now it goes 1-2 inches past that point, and to get to say, 5th gear, I have to go all the way right, then come back with the shifter lever 1-2 " to find 5th gear.

Here is a video showing how it goes to the right:

I haven't taken it apart yet,.. But I'm just curious what you guys think about the cause of why it would do this? From research it seems moving the plate maybe can correct this? Am I correct?

I also get exhaust/road noise coming up from the shifter area -- So something is not blocking that out like it did before the mechanic took apart the shifter and put it back on.

This thread seems to shed some light on alignment:

https://my350z.com/forum/engine-driv...alignment.html

I am hoping this is just a simple adjustment. But I'm making this thread to get some feedback on why the shifter would do this?

Is it the indent that is there to not allow over and down for reverse to engage unless you press down the shifter -- Now is somehow not blocking the right motion?

Or is it likely just the shifter plate itself?

The noise,.. that has to be just the boot(s) being on properly and the bit of foam over top.. that's all that is blocking that out.

I wanted to get your thoughts on this before I open it up. One post here says to line up 5th somehow then tighten the top bolt on the plate, then line up 6th and tighten that bolt.

Then another post says to loosen the plate and move it as far to the left as possible and tighten down the bolts.

Thanks for any insight.
Old 02-10-2015, 05:40 AM
92K1500

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

It's all in the link you gave.

9) move the shifter into the 6th gear position and make the notch sticking out of the shifter level with the shifter plate "guide" by slightly pushing down on the shifter. move the shifter plate (the plate with the 3 bolts) accordingly to make sure the "guide" on the plate is touching the shifter. once that is accomplished, at the same time tighten the bolt at the right rear on the plate (to keep it in place)
10) now move the shifter into the 5th gear position and align the shifter notch with the plate like i explained in step #9. When it is aligned right and touching then you tighten the bolt at the front of the guide plate (closest to the engine).
**side note. the reason the shifter notch has to touch the side of the plate is so that it guides the shifter into the 6th gear from fifth; as well as when you push down to go into reverse the notch goes underneath the plate to make it go into the reverse gear. once there is the correct alignment the other gears are in syncronation as well.
11) tighten the left bolt now then torque them all down to 88 inch pounds
Old 02-10-2015, 03:51 PM
Chromatic

Originally Posted by 92K1500
It's all in the link you gave.
Yeah I'm going to pick the car up Wednesday,.. maybe the Nissan Mechanic aligned it properly and I won't have to mess with it. We'll see.

If not, I'm just trying to get a good solid idea of what to check and do before I open it up.

The noise issue after the first mechanic opened it and then had to close it back up before doing any work that is now present.

Exhaust/Road noise.. a little tranny noise when driving coming from the shifter area -- From what I can see from pictures on the net it seems like there is nothing but the foam, and two rubber boots on top to keep any noise out. So that noise has to just come from either something missing (boot/foam) or a boot shifted off and not covering the hole right? Anything I'm missing in that regard.?
Old 02-10-2015, 03:55 PM
92K1500

I can't remember what the second boot is attached to unless it is the one that goes down to cover up the linkage bolt.

The top boot is screwed down so it wont move. Then there is a little white circle of cloth stuff. I've driven with it and without it and couldn't tell a difference. So I don't know where your extra noise is coming from.
Old 02-10-2015, 05:03 PM
Chromatic

I can't remember what the second boot is attached to unless it is the one that goes down to cover up the linkage bolt.

The top boot is screwed down so it wont move. Then there is a little white circle of cloth stuff. I've driven with it and without it and couldn't tell a difference. So I don't know where your extra noise is coming from.
Hrmm.. well this could all be for naught, other than I've learned another troubleshooting fix regarding the shifter machanism and essentially how to swap out for a diff shifter If I ever wanted to (and I don't). Since Nissan did the clutch, master, slave, flywheel, etc job and by doing so hopefully would have fixed any misplacement the first non "nissan" mechanic screwed up.

But, from the design of things, I don't see how my shifter going to far to the right can be anything but that shifter alignment plate.

The noise -- I don't see anything else blocking the big hole from the shifter to the ground but a few parts that are quite simple to place. Even if something is literally missing, not a big deal to buy it, or pick up from a junk yard and replace.

Point is, I don't see how a guy removing the shifter and putting it back on only could have done any major damage/or caused any problems that weren't fairly simple to fix.

I agree it seems odd to get noise with the 2-3 parts that are keeping road noise and such out.. but he got a disturbing call,.. had to leave town immediately and hurridly put it all back together (along with a few other Z's he had in the shop for us to come get them out).

I'm picking this thing up in the morning,.. the mechanic was recommended by the first guy who had to leave.. And the mechanic is the senior Master Mechanic at this Nissan Dealership , has worked for nissan for a quarter century and just came back from "Nissan School" (I imagine they have to get ongoing training) -- So I'm sure he knows what the heck he is doing.

I'll find out in about 12 hours.

I appreciate your advice/troubleshooting/thoughts.
Old 02-10-2015, 05:06 PM
Chromatic

I
The top boot is screwed down so it wont move.
My guess is this boot wasn't attached fully..
Old 02-11-2015, 09:49 AM
Chromatic

Update:

Opened up the shifter housing -- and the Shifter was backwards!!

The Stop that is supposed to be on the right hand side was on the left hand side. How it even went into first gear is beyond me.

Flipped it around.. Aligned it in 5th, then 6th.. and it's butter smooth perfect!

The noise:

The boot wasn't secured on one side,.. fixed that in 10 seconds.. buttoned it back up and she's perfect!

Thanks for the help.
Old 02-11-2015, 10:53 AM
92K1500

Glad you got it fixed. I knew it couldn't be too hard to figure out.
Old 02-11-2015, 04:04 PM
Chromatic

Glad you got it fixed. I knew it couldn't be too hard to figure out.

Thanks. I appreciate your advice/replies through this thread.

I didn't think it could be that difficult either after I started examining pictures of the shifter/tranny breakdown online.. (As my car was at Nissan) --

Still sort of amazes me the guy put the shifter in backwards.. and doesn't secure half the boot. Oh well,.. took less than 15 minutes to fix it up and I learned something new, all good in the end. Perhaps the thread will help someone else down the line with a similar shifter alignment or noise issue.