Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Emissions Issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 10:47 AM
shadowoffair

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

UPDATE:
Well thought I would update this once again since i have had a change. I now have 123K mi on my Z (I have been driving A LOT) and she is still pulling strong. I'll be doing a tune up soon even though I don't think she really needs it. We have been having cold weather here in TN but I don't really think that factors much to my situation. I digress...My SES light is intermittently disappearing! Either the fault is now permanently stored in the bank and extinguished the SES light or my car is FINALLY figuring out the new fuel/breathing pattern with the HFCs and exhaust. But whatever it is I'm fine with it lol. It started about a week ago when I got up in the morning for the normal cold weather routine before work: Let it warm up for 10-30 min.

Last Thur after warm up I noticed the light was gone when I was ready to roll out. Ten min down the road it came back, so I wasn't surprised. Today, same thing let it warm up and when i was ready to go it was gone. Took off down the highway to work and it didn't return the whole way to work. It felt great to have a seemingly full functioning healthy engine (maybe). I sat in the car and just let it run for an hr for lunch and I noticed that the Idle is much smoother than I have noticed before. I have read on multiple occasions that the random supper subtle "miss like" idle is normal for these engines so I let it go for the longest. Now it almost never does it and its practically a steady purr. I'll get an OBD reader and check things out then report back. My goal is to get the UPREV software so I can see in detail what is going on.

This sudden change is leading me to believe I most likely had fuel problem or an ignition problem, but I really don't know since I have had no codes other than the A/F lean & rich codes. Whatever it is something just decided to start working like its supposed to. Well I doubt this will help anyone but it might be worth a read to someone. Cheers all
Old 08-24-2016, 03:57 PM
shadowoffair

So here is my Aug 2016 update.

My Z now has 140k on it and still pulling strong. This previous Monday I decided to change the S1B1 and S1B2 heated sensors due to the p1273&1284 codes. I got under the hood to disconnect the sensors before removing them. I removed the battery and was out for a few minutes while I went to work. As I pulled the plug on the bank one (passenger side) pre-Cat sensor I realized it was a 6pin connector... I immediately noticed had ordered the wrong replacement sensors. So with my plans foiled I put everything back together.

110mi later no check engine light at all! I pulled out the reader for a scan just a few moments ago and now I have a pending code for p1166, which is coincidentally a "faulty" Bank 1 heated sensor the one I unplugged. But it's pending so that means it has not been stored to throw the SES light yet. The idle is now smoother than before all of this with little to no minor skips/sputtering.. I'll keep driving and if it doesn't show up as a SES light I'm gonna call it good for now and eventually replace those two sensors.

Ony other fixes I have done since are basic maintenance. I hope this helps someone a bit.

Cheers all.

Edit: update on my way home from work 123mi after the last ecu reset via battery removal my SES light is back. As I mentioned earlier I unplugged the S1B1 heated air/fuel sensor to change it but was halted due to having the wrong replacement parts. The SES light is now a hard fail msg for P1166 the sensor I unplugged and re-plugged in. However there are zero codes for the p1273/184. I think this could have been causing my issue the whole time. I of course will be replacing this sensor. In the name of proper maintenance I am also tempted to replace the other associated sensor but I'm afraid I'll get a msg for it later..ya know kinda one of those things where if it ain't broke don't fix it. I'll update this as I go. Cheers again all!

Last edited by shadowoffair; 08-25-2016 at 01:01 AM.
Old 09-08-2016, 01:38 AM
shadowoffair

Just trying to log my journey to eliminate the SES light. I changed the S1B1 and S2B1 sensors yesterday. Drove it to work like normal and then on the way home after 66ish mi it came back. I used the ecu reset method to check the codes and I think (if I recorded the blinks correctly) I came up with the 1273 and 1166 again at the same time! But I was expecting it though so I wasn't surprised. On a positive note my fuel economy is up 3mpg noticeably from 19 to 22-23 so I'm happy with that to say the least. I will be diving into replacing fuel sys components next starting with the fuel pressure dampers/regulators and then the fuel pump and sending unit.

The pump and unit was already on the list because my gas gauge fluctuates a lot and occasionally doesn't even read. Plus I know it's time for the work to be done.

I'll post more as soon as I read something to sway me to another ideaor make headway on the maintenance p

Peace!!
Old 06-25-2017, 11:29 PM
shadowoffair

Well this will be a happpy unexpected update! as of 6-25-17. Not a lot has visually changed with my 350z but I still own it! No car payments. Still daily driven now at 163kmi. Still wonderful! What has happened since my last update the car now has a new CD009a tranny the newest latest and greatest. (LONG STORY) but what matters most right now is I think my SES light has been solved! and this time on its own!! So I'll tell my story that has lead up to it...Everyone knows about the oil consumption issue and my engine is no exception. After working a double and knowing it was about time to add a bit more oil to the engine I broke away from the job mid shift and swung into autozone for a jug. (I knew I really needed oil because I would loose a cylinder around the critically low point and it had begun to do so once again long story..). I filled the engine but the misfire continued so I instantly thought i cooked the piston rings on now dead cylinder. fast fwd a bit ran a compression test and it hit 180psi! thats almost new numbers. Needless to say I was happy. So I replaced the coil pack for the cylinder and it fired right up! And its been the smoothest it has ever been! I drove on it exactly one day then it was time to fill the gas tank. I put a bottle of lucas injector cleaner and a full tank of premium and go to start the car...SES light gone!! I couldn't believe my eyes. I will now go change the remaining 4 coil packs and and watch my fuel efficiency increase to where it should be.. long story short. check your ignition system guys if you have high mileage and Lean/rich codes. Hope this helps someone cheers all!
The following users liked this post:
Atreyu'z 350 (06-26-2017)