Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

steering wheel crooked.

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 08:07 AM
turboed350z

Received 277 Likes on 215 Posts
Default steering wheel crooked.

Before instart of, yes i have research this subject.

Ok so i noticed that my steering wheel is crooked. It sits about 10° to the right. The alignment seems fine. It drives straight, brakes straight, no pulling, the wheel just seems off.

Base on my search, there could be 2 way to fix this, the steering colum and the pivot joint. Or i can remove the steering wheel and reinstall it.

I would like to remove the steering wheel and reinstall as appose to jacking up the car and getting underneath it.

Now heres my question, can i safely (as in not damage anything) adjust the steering wheel and have it sit straight? Or should i get under the car abd adjust it at the pivot point?
Old 04-23-2015, 08:36 AM
iideadeyeii

Received 446 Likes on 362 Posts

If you can disconnect the wheel and then put back on straight, that's how I would do it.
Old 04-23-2015, 08:39 AM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,594 Posts

It's easier than that, assuming the steering wheel's never been pulled.

My guess is that last time it was lined-up the tech was too lazy to set steering wheel first. I would go in for a free alignment check and go from there.
Old 04-23-2015, 08:42 AM
turboed350z

Originally Posted by iideadeyeii
If you can disconnect the wheel and then put back on straight, that's how I would do it.
My understanding is that i remove the battery, let the car sit for 5 min, remove the 2 tamper proof bolts, remove air bag, and a 19mm bolt and the steering wheel comes off. Then i just move it by a hair and reinstall right?
Old 04-23-2015, 08:52 AM
turboed350z

Originally Posted by jhc

My guess is that last time it was lined-up the tech was too lazy to set steering wheel first. I would go in for a free alignment check and go from there.
I would prefer not to pay the shop. Like i said, in fairly certain that my alignment is fine. I could be wrong, but tire wear indicates that its within specs
Old 04-23-2015, 09:24 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

First off, if your steering wheel was on straight and THEN you noticed it's off 10 degrees to the right, there's something else going on. How long ago was your Z aligned?
Old 04-23-2015, 09:28 AM
turboed350z

Originally Posted by dkmura
First off, if your steering wheel was on straight and THEN you noticed it's off 10 degrees to the right, there's something else going on. How long ago was your Z aligned?
Actually it has been off since the day i bought it haha. Just not really bothersome to me until i recently got my second z. Its been a few years now. But as i said, im not sure if it could be an alignment issue as it drive straight, it brakes straight and the tire wear are even. Like i can point the car straight, let go of the wheel and it will still drive straight. Its just the steering wheel sits crooked while its going straight. No pulling or anything.

Do you still think it could be an alignment thing?
Old 04-23-2015, 02:35 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

Originally Posted by turboed350z
Actually it has been off since the day i bought it haha. Just not really bothersome to me until i recently got my second z. Its been a few years now. But as i said, im not sure if it could be an alignment issue as it drive straight, it brakes straight and the tire wear are even. Like i can point the car straight, let go of the wheel and it will still drive straight. Its just the steering wheel sits crooked while its going straight. No pulling or anything.

Do you still think it could be an alignment thing?
So, what you're saying is the car has always been like this since you bought it? I'd say it's overdue for an alignment check and the tech will put the steering straight afterwards.

But that's just me- as a racer, I tend to want my equipment in the best possible shape. It's a philosophy that's served me well over the years...
Old 04-23-2015, 06:45 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,265 Likes on 2,323 Posts

Originally Posted by dkmura
So, what you're saying is the car has always been like this since you bought it? I'd say it's overdue for an alignment check and the tech will put the steering straight afterwards.

But that's just me- as a racer, I tend to want my equipment in the best possible shape. It's a philosophy that's served me well over the years...
^^^ This.

It IS an alignment issue. Along with "Is it pulling to either side?", one of the check-in questions the shop should be asking is "Is the steering wheel straight?" This helps the tech figure out something's off even BEFORE it goes on the alignment rack.

As far as the "take-off-the-steering-wheel-and-reinstall-it-straight", umm, no.

Even though you're not taking out a lot of steering input in one direction by moving the wheel a couple splines over, the fact that I KNOW it's off would bug the s**t out of me.
Old 04-23-2015, 11:34 PM
dowo12

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1 month ago i had similar problem and it was steering rack
Old 04-24-2015, 06:58 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,079 Likes on 6,539 Posts

Originally Posted by jhc

this.. if they straighten the steering wheel it is more work for them adjusting it
Old 04-24-2015, 07:06 AM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,594 Posts

Originally Posted by travlee
this.. if they straighten the steering wheel it is more work for them adjusting it
Still the professional, courteous way to go so we don't get what we have here.
Old 04-24-2015, 07:07 AM
turboed350z

Thanks everyone. I was confuse since it seems like the steering wheel just like a spine or 3 over to the right. Will bring it in for an alignment check today.