Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

clutch/flywheel issue?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 07:03 PM
Ironnipple

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch/flywheel issue?

So

I've been having a bad shaking problem with my car for quite some time (had another post up concerning it on his site). But now I think I've finally narrowed it down.

It seems there is a problem in my clutch/flywheel area, so I removed my transmission and now have the clutch off. Looking inside it seems like the center hole of the remaining flywheel (and whatever else?) Isnt perfectly lined up.

(Kind of looks like if you drew a circle on a piece of paper, then cut out the same size hole on another piece of paper and slightly offset them overlapping each other).

So I'm wondering, is there a bearing or something in there that maybe now isn't, or broke or something?

I can post a pic if needed later, but its dark now and I'm eating dinner. So that would have to wait till tomorrow.

Thanks ahead of time guys

This is the shaft coming out of my transmission

Not sure if you can see what i mean by this pic, but the straight on shot didnt seem to capture it either.<br/>

Last edited by Ironnipple; 05-31-2015 at 08:01 AM.
Old 05-28-2015, 04:43 AM
travlee
Master
Premier Member

Received 9,155 Likes on 6,603 Posts

pics would definitely help
Old 05-29-2015, 03:17 PM
guitman32

Received 108 Likes on 90 Posts

If it is as you described, that would be your OEM dual mass flywheel in which it appears the secondary flywheel has shifted, though from your picture its hard to tell how much or if there is anything else weird going on.

Keep in mind the bore of the flywheel does not contact the input shaft...only the tip of the input shaft spins in the pilot bushing in the block as the bore of the flywheel spins freely around it. So the flywheel may look off kilter via the bore but still be in-balance via the whole assembly.

Remove the pilot bushing and check for play by sliding it on the transmission input shaft...if you notice excessive or non-symmetrical play this may indicate a balance issue on the flywheel/clutch assy.

Try taking another picture with the lens of the camera centered on the hole to eliminate any perspective issues. Also include one zoomed out so we can see the flywheel surface. If the primary and secondary flywheels have shifted relative to each other, that would definitely cause NVH (and likely greater) issues, and you would need to replace the dual-mass flywheel assy.

Last edited by guitman32; 05-29-2015 at 03:18 PM.
Old 05-29-2015, 03:21 PM
travlee
Master
Premier Member

Received 9,155 Likes on 6,603 Posts

if it were me (and depending on your funds) i wouldn't even mess with it, i would swap it with the JWT clutch flywheel combo and call it a day. if you do, don't forget the pivot ball replacement

edit...
all you would need
https://my350z.com/forum/drivetrain/...-stock-35.html

Last edited by travlee; 05-29-2015 at 03:24 PM.
Old 05-29-2015, 03:38 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 3,302 Likes on 2,350 Posts

Originally Posted by travlee
if it were me (and depending on your funds) i wouldn't even mess with it, i would swap it with the JWT clutch flywheel combo and call it a day. if you do, don't forget the pivot ball replacement

edit...
all you would need
^^^ This. I mean, EVERYTHING is O-U-T already. The hard part is done.

Unless of course, you're like me on my first clutch replacement back in the day. Three days toiling to get the tranny back in and bolted up. My dad says, "Is it aligned?" I say, like a teen wiseacre, "Of course, you think I'm stupid?

I look at the alignment tool after he leaves.... BENT.

Eyeballed the clutch, bolted it all back on, slid right in, 5 minutes.

But ya, OP, replace the clutch, pilot bearing, refresh the fluids in the tranny and slave sys, GO.
Old 05-29-2015, 05:00 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Clutch replacement can turn into a nightmare. --Spike
Old 05-31-2015, 07:23 AM
Ironnipple

I have yet to remove the flywheel. Mainly because those metal strips that go around the star pattern bolts that hold the flywheel on, are actually slightly covering some of the bolts (which actually furthers my thoughts of that not sitting right on there.)

A secondary question is, the spine shaft that comes from my tranny, should that have a little bit of play on it as far as being able to wiggle it up and and down, or should that be rock solid?
Old 05-31-2015, 08:56 AM
Ironnipple

Originally Posted by travlee

edit...
all you would need

I don't have a lot of money to spend on a new clutch and flywheel kit, (in the process of moving). So I found an "ACS stage 1 performance" clutch kit with flywheel for $300. Have you guys heard anything about this kit? Good? Not good?
Old 05-31-2015, 09:22 AM
guitman32

Originally Posted by Ironnipple
I have yet to remove the flywheel. Mainly because those metal strips that go around the star pattern bolts that hold the flywheel on, are actually slightly covering some of the bolts (which actually furthers my thoughts of that not sitting right on there.)

A secondary question is, the spine shaft that comes from my tranny, should that have a little bit of play on it as far as being able to wiggle it up and and down, or should that be rock solid?
Yea it is normal for the input shaft to wiggle slightly even on a new CD009 transmission.

You should be able to manually rotate the secondary flywheel (with the help of a pry tool) out of the way to get to the torx bolts on the flywheel.
Old 05-31-2015, 04:40 PM
guitman32

Nice work updating the pics...I dont know about the bore of the flywheel, but the wear pattern on the flywheel face looks very strange. It looks to have two wear patterns, one with the direction of motion that you would expect and one perpendicular thereto, which is definitely not normal.

Pic of the clutch?

Definitely seems like a flywheel issue, pressure plate and clutch will likely also need replacement.
Old 05-31-2015, 05:10 PM
guitman32

In addition to the clutch also a picture of the pressure plate, both sides, would be nice. If you are getting this kind of movement there will almost certainly be accompanying wear marks elsewhere.