Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

vibration at 80 mph, comes and goes

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 05:58 PM
travlee
Master

Received 9,045 Likes on 6,511 Posts

guess you didn't read thread... not only would a balance issue cause that , but a tire issue would too.....
Old 07-26-2015, 08:52 PM
black38

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wont be able to get the tires mounted until next sat, going out of town for work.
I travel almost every week. Hence the usual week between responses.

If the tires dont fix it I will def have a shop look into the tie rods and ball joints. I was hoping that the shop i took it to would check that out but they didnt let me know if they did...aggravating
Old 07-26-2015, 10:00 PM
Resmarted

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

There are harmonic balancers throughout the car. It seems like an odd problem so, it could be possible that one started to go bad (they have little rubber things that the weight pivots on). Although that being said, I don't think coupes have any, or only have one? My roadster had 3. One front left I think, rear right, and then one on the transmission mount bolt. They do make the car feel more smooth. I removed two, but haven't driven the car in a long long long time

Are you sure your wheels themselves are straight? No bumps etc in the wheels? My guess would be like a mount on the drive line going bad... Does it happen at 80 under load or coast? Because that's somewhat important. And is it noisey or shakey? Can you get a video of it? Becareful obviously, but can you take it past 80?

Last edited by Resmarted; 07-26-2015 at 10:03 PM.
Old 07-27-2015, 06:06 AM
remo1356

Originally Posted by travlee
guess you didn't read thread... not only would a balance issue cause that , but a tire issue would too.....
Doubtful! BTW I did read the thread! Just trying to help out a fellow Z owner with a possible solution to his issue! As I ran into the same problem and ended up having to change the tie rods that were worn out. It solved my issue completely! No tire balance issues whatsoever!
Old 07-31-2015, 07:15 PM
black38

Originally Posted by Resmarted
There are harmonic balancers throughout the car. It seems like an odd problem so, it could be possible that one started to go bad (they have little rubber things that the weight pivots on). Although that being said, I don't think coupes have any, or only have one? My roadster had 3. One front left I think, rear right, and then one on the transmission mount bolt. They do make the car feel more smooth. I removed two, but haven't driven the car in a long long long time

Are you sure your wheels themselves are straight? No bumps etc in the wheels? My guess would be like a mount on the drive line going bad... Does it happen at 80 under load or coast? Because that's somewhat important. And is it noisey or shakey? Can you get a video of it? Be careful obviously, but can you take it past 80?
Not clue on the harmonic balancers.
I bought the wheel brand new about 8-9 months ago.
Happens between 75-85. I took it up to 100+ and it stopped quite a bit.

Not really noisey at all but kind of shakey. I posted a video earlier in the thread but can repost if needed after tomorrow.

Originally Posted by remo1356
Doubtful! BTW I did read the thread! Just trying to help out a fellow Z owner with a possible solution to his issue! As I ran into the same problem and ended up having to change the tie rods that were worn out. It solved my issue completely! No tire balance issues whatsoever!
I appreciate the help.
If the tires that get mounted tomorrow dont help I will be taking a long hard look at the tie rods

Update: tires on, guy at ntb told me there is something up with the front right and they can only get the road force down to 20lbs where the others are in the normal range of 5-7. I'm not sure what this amounts to other than I going to have a slight vibration.
He can't say if it's the wheel or tire. I've curbed the wheel slightly but nothing that should have bent it

Last edited by black38; 08-01-2015 at 09:22 AM.
Old 08-04-2015, 06:18 AM
travlee
Master

Originally Posted by remo1356
Originally Posted by black38
I appreciate the help.
If the tires that get mounted tomorrow dont help I will be taking a long hard look at the tie rods

Update: tires on, guy at ntb told me there is something up with the front right and they can only get the road force down to 20lbs where the others are in the normal range of 5-7. I'm not sure what this amounts to other than I going to have a slight vibration.
He can't say if it's the wheel or tire. I've curbed the wheel slightly but nothing that should have bent it
hmmm.... what does the bold part say?

Last edited by travlee; 08-04-2015 at 06:19 AM.
Old 08-04-2015, 07:00 AM
Cookiezor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by black38

Update: tires on, guy at ntb told me there is something up with the front right and they can only get the road force down to 20lbs where the others are in the normal range of 5-7.
that road force, honestly never worked for me. back when i used to work at a dealer, we never used road force stuff, bc it would make the whole balancing a mess. so we just put the wheels back on the cars, and guess what? - none had any problems.
Old 08-04-2015, 07:00 PM
black38

Its about the most aggravating thing in the world having a shakey car.
Im losing it over it.

i feel like i can get my wheels balanced correctly.

threw a post up on a local forum to see if someone will let me borrow a set of wheels for 15 mins to make sure it is the wheels and tires
Old 08-06-2015, 02:55 PM
Speednz

Default vibration at 80 mph, comes and goes

Okay I've balanced and diagnosed quite a few tires/ cars in my career. I apologize I am at work and have not read all 5 pages. I did however read the first page and did not see where anybody suggested it be a hub bearing. From what you described, "the whole vehicle shaking", leads me to be 90% positive one or multiple wheel bearings are bad. Sometimes they squeak, sometimes they don't, I have had to replace wheel bearings in my 350z and it has fixed the same issue you described. Depending on the type of wheel you have dictates what kind of wheel weights they used. If they used clip weights, it's almost impossible for them to fall off, and if they do you will hear it. If they used sticky weights on the inner rim they could have fallen off. There is a distinct difference in the vibration/shaking of wheel weights and bearings. If you are unsure, you need to have somebody ride with you to ensure you are pinpointing the issue. EBay sells a set of front bearing and hub sets for $70. Worked great for me. Easy to bolt on.
Old 08-06-2015, 03:00 PM
travlee
Master

You should have.....post 45 says they can't get right front balanced properly, not sure if wheel or tire
Old 08-06-2015, 03:13 PM
Speednz

You should have.....post 45 says they can't get right front balanced properly, not sure if wheel or tire
Have they tried switching the right front to left rear? If it is the tire out of balance, then that will drastically change feel of the vibration. It would change it from a steering wheel vibration to a bottom of your seat vibration.
Old 08-06-2015, 03:59 PM
travlee
Master

that i don't know, but since his tires are directional... he really can't
Old 08-06-2015, 05:19 PM
Speednz

Mhm, well a front to back rotation should be able to rule them out.
Old 08-06-2015, 05:20 PM
Speednz

That's a quick 10 minute test.
Old 08-06-2015, 05:23 PM
travlee
Master

if he could get a 275/35/19 to fit... may or may not. and once again, if you would have read... he said he is looking for someone local to let him borrow some front tires, post 48 for your reference
Old 08-08-2015, 02:35 PM
black38

so it is the front right...when will the problems end.

since i didnt buy the tires from a store trying to get it warrantied isint going to be fun, unless you want to help with that travlee haha.

Thanks for the help thus far guys.
Old 08-08-2015, 02:44 PM
travlee
Master

so they can't get the wheel balanced?
Old 08-15-2015, 03:24 PM
black38

all new tires, balanced by 3 shops multiple times...made it better but i still feel a shake in the seat of my pants.

After googling more and coming across a g35 forum a few guys changed out their compression rod bushings and it helped.

Im going to assume I have some bushings that are bad or even a tranny mount that is bad.
Old 08-16-2015, 10:14 AM
black38

a friend of mine gave me the set of rotors im running and I had them turned before putting them on.

Could rotors be warped after getting them turned.
I checked all the bushing and they look fine...loosing my mind over this
Old 08-16-2015, 02:44 PM
Resmarted

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Could be a mount in the driveline. Take a video of the tach/speedo and edit it with youtube to show when it's vibrating. Might be easier to tell for us what the fxk is going on if we could see what the car is doing beyond a description. Amazing how many times people think they're explaining something clearly, when in reality they're not in the right ballpark (no offense, I've done this too, everyone does this).

Also if you could take it to a dyno, bring the car up to that speed on the dyno, you could probably tell if it's front end related, or driveline related, or rear end related pretty quickly.

Last edited by Resmarted; 08-16-2015 at 02:46 PM.

Quick Reply: vibration at 80 mph, comes and goes