Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

AC + Idling issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2015, 05:01 PM
bradkculp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question AC + Idling issues

Let me start by ranting real quick..I've been having weird issues with my AC for some time now, and recently, my car started overheating, which led me to find that my driver side fan burnt up, sending a blade through the radiator.

So, I installed a new radiator and fan (and battery and starter while I was at it). Radiator lasted about 3 days before dumping all of the coolant in a parking lot because it wasn't sealed properly. Returned radiator and installed new one, all was well for a week or so..until the other day, while I was on my way to the local Z shop in town to get a new clutch put in, the car started overheating again..Turns out the fan was defective too.

So, got another fan, put it in, and replaced most of the related fuses/relays.

Which leads me to the problem I have now:

Firstly, when I cold start the car, I get a very loud and obnoxious squeal coming from what I assume to be one of the pulleys/tensioners (belts are new). When I turn off the AC and rev the engine a couple times (or wait about a minute) the squeal stops. Have done some reading/searching and what seems to be consensus is either alternator pulley or tensioner. Any other ideas on that?

My other issue is that A) When my AC is off, my RPMS drop to ~600 and it also starts throwing codes for a misfire in (I think) cylinder 2. Turn AC back on, RPMs return to normal and no longer throws any codes.

And B) In traffic, sometimes at stoplights, or if the car sits while running for a few minutes, the AC will cut off, start blowing warm air and, again, drop the RPMS to ~600. This isn't always the case, but just kind of happens sporadically.

Vehicle is '04 Base Model with 102k miles. Lightly modded, nothing serious..headers, exhaust, cats, intake..etc..nothing that should play a role in any of my issues.

Thoughts?
Old 10-14-2015, 05:59 PM
'WhiteRoadster

Many thoughts. Belt might be a loose tensioner, try tightening it and see if it helps. You said ur modded. Have u tuned it? Ac coming on and off might be a few things. Pressure switch in the lines, wiring, compressor might be locking up on you. Id start with tightening the tensioner, after that id either get a tune done or/and go to a shop/the dealer that can properly diagnose your ac system without throwing parts at it. Can be really simple if your mechanically inclined. If your not get your pocket book ready.
Old 10-14-2015, 06:30 PM
bradkculp

Belts are tight, first thing I checked.

Haven't tuned it. Recommendation? Regrettably, I am not very knowledgable when it comes to the tuning side.

I am fairly inclined mechanically, and my brother (aka my mechanic most of the time) runs a towing company and has a shop. So I have access to any tools/equipment and help I need. I just lack the ability to properly diagnose these particular issues.
Old 10-14-2015, 06:36 PM
'WhiteRoadster

Ok well if I were in ur shoes I would depending on ur priorities, get it tuned 1st then take it to a dedicated a/c shop. Ur compressor might be failing on you. If ur belt is screeching with ur ac on its Prob. loose, if not theres resistance on the ac pulley which would indicate a siezing compressor. Also when tightening the tensioner you are unscrewing the pulley first right? Try over tightening it just by a turn or two to check if ur belt might be slipping, i remember when i changed my belts i had to go under there a second time, initially when i would start my car as soon as the ac kicked in it would give a quick screech. It was a pita..
Old 10-14-2015, 06:41 PM
'WhiteRoadster

a tune should fix your idling issue, also taking it to a dedicated a/c shop vs the dealer or any other type of shop will be easier on the pocket book.
Old 10-14-2015, 06:46 PM
bradkculp

Ok, I'll start with that. Thanks for your help!