Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

check engine light

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2015, 01:50 PM
bricesaun

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default check engine light

I have had cel for over a year now..it started as soon as I changed to full after market exhaust ..I'm getting the 1273 code does anyone know how to fix this
Old 12-04-2015, 02:12 PM
verdict.
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 648 Likes on 491 Posts

1273 implies that the A/F has shift to the lean side of the scale. 1273 = Air/Fuel Ratio Sensor 1 (Bank 1).

Could be an exhaust leak, low fuel pressure or problem with injector(s). Could also be a bad O2 sensor.
Old 12-04-2015, 02:20 PM
bricesaun

Originally Posted by verdict.
1273 implies that the A/F has shift to the lean side of the scale. 1273 = Air/Fuel Ratio Sensor 1 (Bank 1).

Could be an exhaust leak, low fuel pressure or problem with injector(s). Could also be a bad O2 sensor.
Yeah cause I've had quite a few ppl check it out and no one can figure it out and checked for leak..nothing I have even changed the bank 1 sensor 1 and light come back on after about 80 miles
Old 12-11-2015, 01:48 PM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

If the O2 bung on the exhaust isn't the right size, your O2 sensor will send a bad reading to the ECM.
Old 12-11-2015, 01:50 PM
bricesaun

Originally Posted by zakmartin
If the O2 bung on the exhaust isn't the right size, your O2 sensor will send a bad reading to the ECM.
Is there anyway to bypass this
Old 12-11-2015, 02:52 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,263 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by bricesaun
I have had cel for over a year now..it started as soon as I changed to full after market exhaust ..I'm getting the 1273 code does anyone know how to fix this
Given that it occurred right after exhaust was opened up, the O2 sensor and the ECU are *likely* both doing their jobs correctly. (And particularly if the P1273 code is standalone - that is, not in the presence of any of the other P114x codes for O2 assemblies which would occur simultaneously if it were a faulty O2 related fault) - That's to say that the freer flowing exhaust has caused a change in your A/F Mix - which is NOT in the least bit unusual.

Have you had the car tuned? Not the usual plugs and such; rather, a performance tune such as Uprev/Osiris, Cobb, etc. If not, I'm guessing that's your problem. The A/F has not been corrected for increased exhaust capacity/velocity. Would tend to think that's your best solution....which should be done with any major change in exhaust systems.

Please note that not all changes as such will trigger a code throw. Lots of other factors in the environment, your particular car, fuel quality, etc influence P1273.

If there are no other codes thrown at the same time, e.g., P114x codes for O2 sensors as mentioned, it's not likely that there are other components like the MAF for instance, involved. That's a good thing.

Read your plugs to determine if it's truly too lean and if so, some ECM parameter tweaks are called for. Good luck.

Mic
Old 12-11-2015, 03:15 PM
bricesaun

Originally Posted by MicVelo
Given that it occurred right after exhaust was opened up, the O2 sensor and the ECU are *likely* both doing their jobs correctly. (And particularly if the P1273 code is standalone - that is, not in the presence of any of the other P114x codes for O2 assemblies which would occur simultaneously if it were a faulty O2 related fault) - That's to say that the freer flowing exhaust has caused a change in your A/F Mix - which is NOT in the least bit unusual.

Have you had the car tuned? Not the usual plugs and such; rather, a performance tune such as Uprev/Osiris, Cobb, etc. If not, I'm guessing that's your problem. The A/F has not been corrected for increased exhaust capacity/velocity. Would tend to think that's your best solution....which should be done with any major change in exhaust systems.

Please note that not all changes as such will trigger a code throw. Lots of other factors in the environment, your particular car, fuel quality, etc influence P1273.

If there are no other codes thrown at the same time, e.g., P114x codes for O2 sensors as mentioned, it's not likely that there are other components like the MAF for instance, involved. That's a good thing.

Read your plugs to determine if it's truly too lean and if so, some ECM parameter tweaks are called for. Good luck.

Mic
I have had the car tuned by uprev They did a reflash
Old 12-11-2015, 03:42 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,263 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by bricesaun
I have had the car tuned by uprev They did a reflash
Hmmm, OK, strike one.

Try cleaning the MAF? The "read wire" tends to gunk up pretty good and could also cause what you're experiencing. Worth a try at this point.

Even after cleaning and clearing the code, drive a while to see if it comes back.
Old 12-11-2015, 03:52 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

What is full aftermarket exhaust?
Old 12-11-2015, 04:05 PM
bricesaun

Originally Posted by MicVelo
Hmmm, OK, strike one.

Try cleaning the MAF? The "read wire" tends to gunk up pretty good and could also cause what you're experiencing. Worth a try at this point.

Even after cleaning and clearing the code, drive a while to see if it comes back.
Yeah I tried maf sensor cleaner that did not work either
Old 12-11-2015, 04:07 PM
bricesaun

Originally Posted by dboyzalter
Headers cats and exhaust
Old 12-11-2015, 04:15 PM
bricesaun

Headers cats and exhaust
Old 12-11-2015, 04:58 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Originally Posted by Andrei
It's kind of tedious to diagnose. The sensor could have been damaged when it was installed back on the car. Are u using the stock metal exhaust gaskets? Did you check to make sure all the bolts are tight?
That code is for bank 1, passenger side by the way.
Originally Posted by the_coupe
yeah, bank1 sensor1.....its on the manifold. if you did test pipes, you didnt touch the sensor. so unless your manifold has a crack/leak somewhere or you have an intake leak....the sensor is bad.
So you replaced the sensors on the headers? I would imagine getting your old sensors out probably wasnt an option... And I would imagine changing that sensor isnt a pleasure but I would try replacing that sensor on the passenger side header with a new one and then erase the code with your reader and see if it comes back again...
Old 12-11-2015, 05:01 PM
bricesaun

So you replaced the sensors on the headers? I would imagine getting your old sensors out probably wasnt an option... And I would imagine changing that sensor isnt a pleasure but I would try replacing that sensor on the passenger side header with a new one and then erase the code with your reader and see if it comes back again...
Yeah I did that light came right back on
Old 12-11-2015, 05:33 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Did you do a mail in reflash?
Old 12-11-2015, 05:49 PM
bricesaun

Did you do a mail in reflash?
Yeah it was an email then I downloaded it to my ecu
Old 12-11-2015, 06:19 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

So you got osiris standard and then got a etune... Or something similar... Did you use an uprev maf sensor? If you have that it could be your problem.
Old 12-11-2015, 06:37 PM
bricesaun

So you got osiris standard and then got a etune... Or something similar... Did you use an uprev maf sensor? If you have that it could be your problem.
No I never changed the maf sensor still factory
Old 12-11-2015, 06:48 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Its beyond me man... I would call the good people at Z1 they can hopefully get you situated...
https://www.z1motorsports.com/engine...ne-p-9041.html
Old 12-11-2015, 06:52 PM
bricesaun

Its beyond me man... I would call the good people at Z1 they can hopefully get you situated...
https://www.z1motorsports.com/engine...ne-p-9041.html
Yeah Thank you for ur help...but I think I'm just going to have to live with the light just being on.. Its just driving me crazy cause no one can figure out what the problem ....crazy. Lol

Quick Reply: check engine light