Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Please help with overheating!

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2016, 02:12 PM
justinsG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help with overheating!

Hey guys whats up, im pretty much at a loss with my g35 and don't know what to do about its overheating problem. A little back story. Bought the car about 8 months ago, motor blew up the second day of having it. 6 months down the road I finally was able to drop a new VQ in it with 40k miles and now im left with constant overheating problems. Every time it overheats I pop the hood and their is coolant sprayed everywhere on the motor and puddles on the ground. I had it at a mechanic shop last week where "they put in a new radiator, thermostat, and reserve tank." Needles to say the car started having the same problems within two days. when it does overheat there is a lot of smoke coming from where the coolant dumps out at whit is always in the reserve tank area. So I am officially done with mechanics and taking this into my own hands. This car was supposed to end up being a drift car, have pbm coils and camber arms to start but with its overheating problem I cant ever hit more than a corner or two without all the coolant just dumping out. Any help you guys have is much appreciated, im at a loss and just want this to be my daily/ occasional track toy. Thinking of upgrading the radiator and hoses to mishimoto and a weapon r coolant tank but other than that I don't know what to do anymore.
Old 01-16-2016, 02:22 PM
RWDBajan

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Sounds like a blown head gasket. Combustion gases blowing the coolant out of the tank.
Old 01-16-2016, 02:33 PM
PP08HR

Received 96 Likes on 65 Posts

Well lets hope it is just a bleeding issues.

From what I understand these are a bit*h to bleed the cooling system.
Old 01-16-2016, 07:14 PM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

You mention you have a new engine, which makes me assume the water pump, is new. Given that your "mechanic" has basically been throwing parts on the car without confirming they're bad first and he/she hasn't addressed your radiator or heat exchanger, you might want to chech if you're getting flow through them. A Prestone flush kit will make short work of that diagnosis.
The following users liked this post:
Syner (01-22-2016)
Old 01-16-2016, 07:45 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

head gaskets...
Old 01-22-2016, 06:09 AM
KJFire4Life

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Start the car up, run for 1 minute. 2 minutes tops. kill it, open radiator cap SLOWLY!!!!!!!!!! If there's pressure in there your head gaskets blown. As was said above, combustion pressurizes your system fast! My moneys on head gaskets. Especially with it over heating that badly. You might have head damage to with that much heat stress. Gaskets are not hard to do on this engine. Just time consuming. You could easily tear it down in a day and send the heads to a machine shop to get checked/cleaned. Assuming everythings good. Buy new gaskets and spend the next weekend re-assembling slowly and carefully following the FSM. I've done several of these and no they aren't fun but they aren't hard either. Just be careful and think everything through