Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Ticking noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2017, 09:59 PM
irbullet

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ticking noise

Well, my car has pretty much always had some sort of ticking noise coming from the engine bay regardless of oil changes, oil viscosity or oil level. It is only heard at idle and there's no other symptoms just a little bit of a noisey idle. Should I be worried? I've driven it like this for at least 25k miles and nothing has changed or worsened. My car has almost 182k miles. It runs fine otherwise.

I've done research here, although most of it points to the fuel damper (I do not believe it is the damper) or valve ticking but I'd like to know whether I should be worried and if anyone has any suggestions.

Thanks to any replies!

Last edited by irbullet; 09-16-2017 at 10:02 PM.
Old 09-17-2017, 09:34 AM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by irbullet
My car has almost 182k miles. It runs fine otherwise... I'd like to know whether I should be worried and if anyone has any suggestions.
Honestly, with that many miles on the car, I'd be surprised if that's the only issue you should be worried about. Without knowing exactly where the tick is coming from, it's impossible to diagnose. Maybe you can get in there with an automotive stethoscope and try to nail down where the tick is loudest.

Also, without knowing what kind of general maintenance has been performed on the vehicle or what kind of mods are on the car, you're essentially asking us to take a shot in the dark on this one.
Old 09-17-2017, 06:49 PM
irbullet

Originally Posted by zakmartin
Honestly, with that many miles on the car, I'd be surprised if that's the only issue you should be worried about. Without knowing exactly where the tick is coming from, it's impossible to diagnose. Maybe you can get in there with an automotive stethoscope and try to nail down where the tick is loudest.

Also, without knowing what kind of general maintenance has been performed on the vehicle or what kind of mods are on the car, you're essentially asking us to take a shot in the dark on this one.
ive maintained it well since I got it but not sure on past owners. I have kinetix plenum, popcharger, hi flow cats, a tune and various other small things done though.

im guessing if it runs fine and has for a long time with the noise and the noise hasn't gotten worse I should probably just leave it alone at this high of mileage?
Old 09-18-2017, 08:51 AM
craig12895

Received 160 Likes on 129 Posts

I would say it isn't worth fighting. Its likely that motor is still very strong and will keep on pushing but I don't think its worth trying to track down any internal noises at this point.

And in my experience, these motors are rather noisy to start with, so what you're looking for really may not be a problem.
Old 09-18-2017, 09:42 AM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

Hmmm... is it AT or MT?
Old 09-18-2017, 10:00 AM
iideadeyeii

Received 442 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by irbullet
my car has pretty much always had some sort of ticking noise
I've driven it like this for at least 25k miles and nothing has changed or
Everything is fine for 25k miles and NOW you ask if the thing making noise is a problem, but is hasn't been a problem for 25k miles. . .

So...I'm just going to say it's not a problem.
Old 09-18-2017, 10:26 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,046 Likes on 6,512 Posts

Old 09-18-2017, 08:47 PM
irbullet

Originally Posted by zakmartin
Hmmm... is it AT or MT?
AT, unfortunately
Originally Posted by iideadeyeii
Everything is fine for 25k miles and NOW you ask if the thing making noise is a problem, but is hasn't been a problem for 25k miles. . .

So...I'm just going to say it's not a problem.
Yeah I figured but ive been wondering about it for a while. I really just wanted to hear suggestions.
I actually laughed, thanks lol
Old 09-19-2017, 10:45 AM
Atreyu'z 350

Received 262 Likes on 228 Posts

Can you post a sound clip please?... because trying to discern a noise over the internet with only words is fuking hell.