Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Lights stay on and car wont start.

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2018, 06:55 PM
z33Nick

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lights stay on and car wont start.

Hello everyone, ran into a problem that I cant seem to find anyone else with the problem so far.

1)

2)

Story:
I went to my car in the morning to witness the gauge cluster lights on. I went and tried starting the car and it wouldnt start. I then charged my battery and watched it disappear after about 5 minutes. The car drove and ran fine after as I went to work. I then went on break and drove the car and went back to work. I took the key out of the ignition and the car was staying on. I was able to drive it without the key. The idle was a bit weird though. It was dropping every so often as if it was about to stall. I just stalled the car to get it to turn off and immediately saw the lights on again (yes car wasnt starting right after I stalled it). I left the car like that and went back to work. Two hours later I went back to my car to see the lights off and the car started and ran fine. In that moment I was left dumbfounded.

It came back again in about two weeks and in the second video this happened right when I turned off my car. The lights eventually stayed on and the car wouldnt start once again. I replaced the battery and everything was fine for another two weeks. But just yesterday after I turned off my car and went back into it, the lights were on with a car not wanting to start. I charged it and the lights disappeared with the car starting and running fine.

I have yet to run into the problem that when I take the key out the car stayed on. BUT the problem that is still happening, I am guessing after it drains my battery? Is the left gauge cluster lights stay on or turn on with the keys out, and thats a clear indicator to me that the car wont start.

Something is at fault. I just dont know what. I was told the Alternator but its reading 14v on the pod in the car.

I would appreciate any help!

Last edited by z33Nick; 05-11-2018 at 06:59 PM.
Old 05-13-2018, 08:53 AM
yosip1115

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Someone told you it was the alternator? lol
Old 05-13-2018, 08:53 PM
Hornlesscow

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

edit: headphones were plugged into work computer...

was it a cheap battery?

Last edited by Hornlesscow; 05-13-2018 at 08:57 PM.
Old 09-01-2018, 09:14 PM
z33Nick

Update: I replaced the alternator and battery. Problem went away for 2 to 3 months. Now its back. I just went to my car in the morning to see the left side of the gauge lights on and I knew the car would only crank. Now everytime I turn off the car it stays on with a rough idle and shuts down with the left side of my gauge cluster flickering and making the beep noise as if I put my key into the on position of the ignition switch.

heres a video
Old 04-02-2022, 02:42 AM
ChitownZ33

Originally Posted by z33Nick
Update: I replaced the alternator and battery. Problem went away for 2 to 3 months. Now its back. I just went to my car in the morning to see the left side of the gauge lights on and I knew the car would only crank. Now everytime I turn off the car it stays on with a rough idle and shuts down with the left side of my gauge cluster flickering and making the beep noise as if I put my key into the on position of the ignition switch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axy9ZlXx2Nw

heres a video
literally the first post on any forum with the same issue as me if you found a fix for it please contact me
Old 04-05-2022, 07:19 PM
PeterPotatoes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ChitownZ33
literally the first post on any forum with the same issue as me if you found a fix for it please contact me
Looks like a bad ignition switch. Do you know how to use a multimeter?