Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Replaced door handle, still doesn't work

Old 07-04-2018, 07:02 PM
nkbelliotti

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replaced door handle, still doesn't work

Hey all, happy fourth!!!
Decided to do work on the z today, and started with the handle. As soon as I took it off, I realized the door handle that was on there was very recently replaced, and nothing was wrong with it. However, it still doesnt unlock the door, or I guess actuate the latch. However, the inside door hinge does open the door with no problem. Is it possible that the latch end of the mechanism has either broken or malfunctioned? I checked that the blue plunger piece was in place and actuated correctly. So, I assume it is whatever the blue plunger is has broken. If anyone can point me in the right direction to the part that would be much appreciated as well.

Thanks in advance!!
Old 07-09-2018, 11:45 AM
Bernardo Z33

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello! I replaced both of my door handles as both were broke LOL! Is this the driver or passenger door were dealing with? Because the driver side is the only one with the lock mechanism bolted onto it. I can't get what you're asking. When you pull the handle does the door open or not? Or when you put the key inside of the door or use the fob does it not unlock the door? If the door handle is off and you can open the door by pressing the blue plunger it should be working fine. The locking mechanism actually has another rod that goes into a pink plunger I think. If it isn't in right when you click the lock or unlock button the rod won't be able to push the pink plunger to lock the door.
Old 07-11-2018, 09:35 AM
nkbelliotti

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bernardo Z33
Hello! I replaced both of my door handles as both were broke LOL! Is this the driver or passenger door were dealing with? Because the driver side is the only one with the lock mechanism bolted onto it. I can't get what you're asking. When you pull the handle does the door open or not? Or when you put the key inside of the door or use the fob does it not unlock the door? If the door handle is off and you can open the door by pressing the blue plunger it should be working fine. The locking mechanism actually has another rod that goes into a pink plunger I think. If it isn't in right when you click the lock or unlock button the rod won't be able to push the pink plunger to lock the door.
sorry for the haphazard story haha so to answer your questions...
-when I pull the exterior door handle, it does not open (but you can hear the plunger activating, and moving)
-the door unlocks and locks perfectly fine. Both via the key fob, and the interior rocker switch
-this is the drivers side door handle

so, I think I will order a new latch, the part of the door that actually latches into the striker in the door sill. I have a suspicion there is something wrong in the door panel, since the interior door pull works perfectly fine.

thank you for the reply!
Old 07-12-2018, 08:32 PM
Bernardo Z33

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nkbelliotti
sorry for the haphazard story haha so to answer your questions...
-when I pull the exterior door handle, it does not open (but you can hear the plunger activating, and moving)
-the door unlocks and locks perfectly fine. Both via the key fob, and the interior rocker switch
-this is the drivers side door handle

so, I think I will order a new latch, the part of the door that actually latches into the striker in the door sill. I have a suspicion there is something wrong in the door panel, since the interior door pull works perfectly fine.

thank you for the reply!
ohhh okay I see now. I need you to answer a few more questions for me.
does the door open from the inside at least? And if does when you close the door does it latch good and stay closed?
also if you have removed your door handle try sticking your finger down and open the door by pressing on the blue plunger and see if you can do It with your finger. That's how I did it to test if the blue plunger was working.