Annoying water spots! - MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Old 07-09-2018, 07:16 PM   #1  
RD10000

Default Annoying water spots!

Hi guys!

So I moved to a new house a couple of months ago and my baby has to sleep outside. I usually cover it when I think it is going to rain but I got caught off-guard a few times. As a result, this happened:
so saaaaaad

First it really upsets me but more importantly I canít get rid of it, I spent approximately 20 minutes rubbing it with a towel damped in soap but itís still here.
So my question to you all week end warriors out there is:
How the F do I get rid of it?
RD10000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 09:22 PM   #2  
mr. sparco

Meguiar's clay kit, and watch a few how-to vids.
mr. sparco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 09:37 PM   #3  
Uncle 'B'

I would drop a note to Detailed Image along with your picture.

You can find their contact info in our Vendor Directory located in the upper right part of this page.
I'm confident they can fix you up with a cutting polish that will make your finish right as rain again (pun intended).
Bryan
Uncle 'B' is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle 'B' For This Useful Post:
jhc (07-11-2018)
Old 07-10-2018, 03:42 PM   #4  
zakmartin
orange moodring

It's probably overkill, but I use this and it fixes otherwise impossibly water-spotted windshields in about 5 minutes.

1. Griot's Garage glass polishing pad (Item# 10614)
2. Griot's Garage fine glass polish (Item# 11017)
3. Any 6" or 3" random orbital polisher
zakmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 11:03 PM   #5  
RD10000

Hi guys, thanks for your quick replies!
Thank you Uncle B for the recommendation, however before going for the pro option, my week end warrior self would like to try the old home made trick ahaha
Zakmartin, basically your recommendation is polishing with compound and a machine right?
RD10000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 08:43 AM   #6  
zakmartin
orange moodring

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD10000 View Post
Zakmartin, basically your recommendation is polishing with compound and a machine right?
Yup. Like you, I've tried various window cleaners and rags with no success. The polish and pad work like a charm. I first tried the buffer several years ago after I parked my Z in a garage under a leaking fire sprinkler pipe and nothing would get the spots off the windshield. I took a trip from Seattle to the Griot's Garage flagship store in Tacoma to see if they had a better system on the shelf (I buy most, but not all, of my detailing products from them.) The salesman actually cleaned the windshield for me to convince me that the product worked.
Old 07-11-2018, 09:39 AM   #7  
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Thanked 1,701 Times in 1,242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD10000 View Post
Hi guys, thanks for your quick replies!
Thank you Uncle B for the recommendation, however before going for the pro option, my week end warrior self would like to try the old home made trick ahaha
Quote:
Originally Posted by zakmartin View Post
Yup. Like you, I've tried various window cleaners and rags with no success. The polish and pad work like a charm. I first tried the buffer several years ago after I parked my Z in a garage under a leaking fire sprinkler pipe and nothing would get the spots off the windshield. I took a trip from Seattle to the Griot's Garage flagship store in Tacoma to see if they had a better system on the shelf (I buy most, but not all, of my detailing products from them.) The salesman actually cleaned the windshield for me to convince me that the product worked.
Pretty sure Bryan was referring to the vendor Detailed Image for PRODUCTS to take care of your issues, not to have someone actually do it.

To clarify, am I mistaken here but isn't the spotting on a painted surface? Zak mentions glass and glass products a couple of times and now I'm confused.

In any event, I've never met a water spot that didn't meet its match when facing my Porter Cable polisher and various polishes.
MicVelo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 08:39 AM   #8  
zakmartin
orange moodring

Wow, Mic, you're right dude. I took a look at the photo and figured it was a windshield (nice reflections on the black). Like you said, buffer and polishes will do the trick.
Old 07-12-2018, 09:20 AM   #9  
onevq35de

Shy of a dual action polisher and compound, Meguiars cleaner/scratch remover by hand ought to do the trick. Those spots cannot be rain water. Gots to be something else.
onevq35de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 04:15 PM   #10  
KornerCarver

You might try a mixture of half water and half vinegar. The acid in the vinegar might remove the water spots. The problem with advising products is the original poster is in Kuala Lumpur and I don't have a clue what detailing products are available there.
KornerCarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 07:02 PM   #11  
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Thanked 1,701 Times in 1,242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by onevq35de View Post
Shy of a dual action polisher and compound, Meguiars cleaner/scratch remover by hand ought to do the trick. Those spots cannot be rain water. Gots to be something else.
I dunno.... the water here in San Jose, CA is pretty hard (lots of calcium and such) that leave water spots on everything that are a bish to remove. Thass why I own a polisher and 4-5 different grades of polish. (Also why I filter the water that goes into water-using products in the house.... Keurig, vaporizer, washers.)

On the other hand, the rain here tends to leave spotting too but not nearly as bad as the tap stuff.
MicVelo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 09:32 AM   #12  
HOMiEZ

depends if the spot etched into the clear cloth enough where you will need to a poliser to take out. I would start with just simple wax and microfiber towel to see if it comes out.

you can also try some cleaner wax or polish/compound. if by this point you don't see a difference its time to get a buffer.
HOMiEZ is offline   Reply With Quote