Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

HELP- Car wont engage in clutch after clutch replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2018, 06:17 PM
Heizuke

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP- Car wont engage in clutch after clutch replacement

Hi there I'm new on the forum also a beginner when working on cars and I would like some of you guys help. So basically about a month ago I installed an exedy clutch to my 2008 350z because I was changing the slave so I thought might as well change the clutch as well. After the install I realized that it was hard to put it into gear and the higher I went the harder it becomes. I thought that it might've been because the master wasn't pushing enough fluid to the slave so I replaced the master but I still had the same result. So I opened the transmission again this time I installed the Cmak CSC elimination kit and put it back together. Now after I was done I dealt with the same issue when it's hard to put it into gear and the higher the gears go the harder it is to put it into gear(It's impossible to put it in reverse). So I thought since this is the second time happening I decided to just drop it and test drive it maybe it will fix itself when the disc gets worn but no. Now when it's on the ground it doesnt engage in any gear at all. At the moment I'm out of options on what to do, I really dont want to drop it a second time because it's a pain to do so but if I must I'll do it. I just want to know what I did wrong and how do I solve it. I read somewhere that the pilot bearing has to be replaced when doing a clutch but I didn't do it could that cause that issue? Or what other thing could be affecting it. Any ideas would be appreciated it. Thanks
Old 10-23-2018, 05:59 AM
iideadeyeii

Received 442 Likes on 358 Posts

Defective pressure plate? Happened to me once and it wouldn't let me fully disengage the clutch.
Old 04-18-2019, 07:34 AM
TheKobester

Did you bleed the clutch all the way? Did you adjust the clutch pedal after changing the clutch? Can you feel the clutch engage/disengage at all? Did you put the clutch disk on the right way (the part that sticks out faces away from the engine)?

If you can feel the clutch engage or disengage, where does it grab, high or low to the floor?
Old 04-18-2019, 08:08 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,047 Likes on 6,513 Posts

Originally Posted by TheKobester
Did you bleed the clutch all the way? Did you adjust the clutch pedal after changing the clutch? Can you feel the clutch engage/disengage at all? Did you put the clutch disk on the right way (the part that sticks out faces away from the engine)?

If you can feel the clutch engage or disengage, where does it grab, high or low to the floor?
six months late to the party, and the op hasnt logged in for 5 months now
Old 04-18-2019, 05:47 PM
TheKobester

Originally Posted by travlee
six months late to the party, and the op hasnt logged in for 5 months now
Yep, realized that after I was just looking through the posts and thought “that post was probably a year old”

Whatever ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Old 07-20-2020, 06:56 PM
Gnarhound

Want to revive this thread as I am having a very similar issue with the same clutch in my 07 Z. Gears have been notchy since the clutch was installed and I usually get locked out at high rpms. Installed the RJM pedal assembly today and now the car won't go into gear at all when it's running . I have played with every adjustment possible on the rjm pedal and it will not go into gear. Something seems to be going on where the clutch is not fully disengaging and I am worried it has been happening for awhile.
New OEM master, zspeed heavy duty slave, new steel braided line, bled properly.
I am thinking its unfortunately slave or pressure plate related and I will need to drop the trans. Going to swap back to the OEM pedal tomorrow so I can hopefully at least drive it again.
Any info would be appreciated!
Old 07-20-2020, 07:06 PM
TheKobester

Originally Posted by Gnarhound
Want to revive this thread as I am having a very similar issue with the same clutch in my 07 Z. Gears have been notchy since the clutch was installed and I usually get locked out at high rpms. Installed the RJM pedal assembly today and now the car won't go into gear at all when it's running . I have played with every adjustment possible on the rjm pedal and it will not go into gear. Something seems to be going on where the clutch is not fully disengaging and I am worried it has been happening for awhile.
New OEM master, zspeed heavy duty slave, new steel braided line, bled properly.
I am thinking its unfortunately slave or pressure plate related and I will need to drop the trans. Going to swap back to the OEM pedal tomorrow so I can hopefully at least drive it again.
Any info would be appreciated!
Make sure your Master is adjusted correctly. Where the pedal links to the master there’s a little U-bracket that can be adjusted to provide more movement. Adjust that outwards as far as it will go on the threads and then try to go into gear. From there you can fine tune the pedal with the pedals settings
Old 07-28-2020, 02:22 PM
BavSOUND

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, also bleed the system fully (see page 7) https://www.carmanualsonline.info/ni...orkshop-manual anyway all the removal process is listed here step by step, good luck, it is totally do-able without visiting shop
The following users liked this post:
Painterguy39 (07-29-2020)