Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

HR engine to DE chasis and trans swap

Old 05-02-2019, 10:58 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Originally Posted by 260DET
For my purposes the Haltech ECU would probably solve most problems
The issue here is that most states/counties require emissions control and a standalone will instantly fail emissions.

start rant...

I giggle when where people want to put a HR / VHR into a DE chassis...

A. no gives a **** ... No one cares that you put a 2008-2015 nissan engine in a 2004 nissan chassis...people care if you LS-swapped or JZ-swapped
B. no significant power gains (keyword 'significant' - save your tweets, 40hp gain is not significant ... if 40hp is a significant gain in your world youre a small fish in a small pond) between a DE and an HR/VHR
C. Arguable more expensive and less options to power-mod a HR / VHR as compared to a DE. Some will argue...nfg

I laugh at HR guys that are proud of their 310hp FBO/tuned 350z - I make 310hp ... right around 3100rpm

end rant...
The following users liked this post:
Zvick91 (06-17-2019)
Old 05-02-2019, 11:01 PM
BabyZ33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bealljk
The issue here is that most states/counties require emissions control and a standalone will instantly fail emissions.

start rant...

A. no gives a **** ... No one cares that you put a 2008-2015 nissan engine in a 2004 nissan chassis...people care if you LS-swapped or JZ-swapped
B. no significant power gains (keyword 'significant' - save your tweets, 40hp gain is not significant ... if 40hp is a significant gain in your world youre a small fish in a small pond) between a DE and an HR/VHR
C. Arguable more expensive and less options to power-mod a HR / VHR as compared to a DE. Some will argue...nfg

I laugh at HR guys that are proud of their 310hp FBO/tuned 350z - I make 310hp ... right around 2300rpm

end rant...
Lol you still own a de and I'm not doing this swap to impress it's for fun I could care less I drive a s197 5.0 I bought these cars for fun since their dirt cheap
Old 05-02-2019, 11:25 PM
260DET

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by bealljk

start rant...

I laugh at HR guys that are proud of their 310hp FBO/tuned 350z - I make 310hp ... right around 3100rpm

end rant...
You are missing the point. If power is the main requirement then don't consider a 350Z which just happens to be the subject of this forum. Get it? Just to get some perspective I have a LS3 in a 280ZX , both it and the Z33 are fun in their own way.

Last edited by 260DET; 05-02-2019 at 11:30 PM.
Old 05-02-2019, 11:27 PM
BabyZ33

You are missing the point. If power is the main requirement then don't consider a 350Z which just happens to be the subject of this forum. Get it?
Bro these guys been talking so much Im just here to ask for help on this swap I guess that one guy is jealous cause he has a de??? Lol thanks for the info btw
Old 05-03-2019, 04:48 AM
coletrickle74

Received 86 Likes on 60 Posts

We were trying to save you time and money. Its not a direct bolt in swap and you won't gain much over the DE.

From a 2 second search, you need HR trans, steering rack, starter, and Haltech. The wiring harnesses and even the computers are completely different.

No one does this, because its not worth it. Just doing it "for fun" or not makes no difference. Also, its not fun throwing a bunch of money at a car to basically end up with the same thing you started with. You have an HR engine so I get why your inclined, but you can literally buy a 07 or 08 car for the same price as the swap will cost.
Old 05-03-2019, 04:56 AM
BabyZ33

Originally Posted by coletrickle74
We were trying to save you time and money. Its not a direct bolt in swap and you won't gain much over the DE.

From a 2 second search, you need HR trans, steering rack, starter, and Haltech. The wiring harnesses and even the computers are completely different.

No one does this, because its not worth it. Just doing it "for fun" or not makes no difference. Also, its not fun throwing a bunch of money at a car to basically end up with the same thing you started with. You have an HR engine so I get why your inclined, but you can literally buy a 07 or 08 car for the same price as the swap will cost.
if I have time and money why not swap it your broke if you think hrs are expensive 800 is not much
Old 05-03-2019, 05:04 AM
coletrickle74

Received 86 Likes on 60 Posts

K good luck, you'll need it. Prove us wrong with a build thread when (if) you get started. I'm out
Old 05-03-2019, 05:09 AM
BabyZ33

Originally Posted by coletrickle74
K good luck, you'll need it. Prove us wrong with a build thread when (if) you get started. I'm out
Dude I have an 350z with an hr but its auto im just swapping the engine into a de chasis that is manual so I wont have to do a custom shifter or clutch pedal I will also swap the auto to manual It has the 5at cpu and harness I heard its just minor wire work like switching some cables around in the harness All I will need is a 6 speed hr trans cause you cant use the 6 speed due to diffrent bell housings
Old 05-03-2019, 07:43 AM
i8acobra

Received 1,265 Likes on 1,014 Posts

This is why we rag on you... You ask for advice, advice is given and you respond with, "you're advice is s***". Even if you include the fact that you already have an HR engine and would need to buy an LS, the LS swap is cheaper and gives you 400HP to start with. It really is a no-brainer. We're telling you, there's a door right there and you're choosing to instead throw your body at the wall until you break through.

BTW, you'll also need a front subframe, or a tall cowl hood as the HR motor is much taller. The HR subframe mounts the engine lower than the DE subframe.
The following 2 users liked this post by i8acobra:
813_350Z (06-03-2019), coletrickle74 (05-03-2019)
Old 05-03-2019, 07:48 AM
BabyZ33

Originally Posted by i8acobra
This is why we rag on you... You ask for advice, advice is given and you respond with, "you're advice is s***". Even if you include the fact that you already have an HR engine and would need to buy an LS, the LS swap is cheaper and gives you 400HP to start with. It really is a no-brainer. We're telling you, there's a door right there and you're choosing to instead throw your body at the wall until you break through.

BTW, you'll also need a front subframe, or a tall cowl hood as the HR motor is much taller. The HR subframe mounts the engine lower than the DE subframe.
I wont need anymore advice I already have the engine inside the chasis I see that I can use the same de radiator core support and hood also I never liked ls engines and am not looking to spend 4k on a engine and trans when I have a hr engine with low miles and is healthy I would only waste around 800 bucks for the trans and new lines an ls is a waste of money and no real ls out of a camaro or vette is cheap
Old 05-03-2019, 10:39 AM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Originally Posted by BabyZ33
I wont need anymore advice
good - see yourself to the door

wait! That was rude ...

please hang around and start a build thread so you can showcase your automotive skills - I’m 10,000% serious...start a thread, upload pictures, and document your build. I’m interested to see this take shape.
Old 05-03-2019, 10:49 AM
i8acobra

Received 1,265 Likes on 1,014 Posts

I wont need anymore advice
Bye!
Old 05-03-2019, 11:52 AM
Cracka350

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Last edited by Cracka350; 05-03-2019 at 11:55 AM.
BabyZ33 (05-03-2019)
Old 05-03-2019, 12:50 PM
WYZIWYG

Received 203 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by MicVelo
THIS WILL STOP NOW!

Friend of mine asked me why I don't post as much as before. This thread is one reason why.

Here's the thing.... people come on here with all sorts of attitudes. The same monosyllabic tones and one sentence "requests for information" that go nowhere and then they get all sulky when people point out why they can't really answer or they don't like the answers they're getting.

Thought about just dropping out of this place but saw some questions that actually made sense and were thought out and researched. And then I see this thread and the defensive posturing to people who tried to help. Obviously not to the OP's liking I guess. Definitely rethinking my decision again.

Anyways, if this goes on any further, well, been awhile since anyone got banned here (Mostly because no one really cares what's on here anymore.)
Question: Do you guys think it's worth posting issues in this forum for historical purposes? After 14 years of relatively trouble free ownership I've experienced my first serious issue with the tranny [P1759]. Currently, there's not much on the forum regarding this and I was wondering if it's even worth documenting this in a new thread or one of the existing ones for future owners? Especially after seeing the nonsense that occurred upthread.
whatZheck (05-08-2019)
Old 05-03-2019, 01:04 PM
Cracka350

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

I'd encourage it. These forums are simple and last for years. Give specifics and maybe even pictures along with a searchable title and you're helping the lurkers that dont want to cause any trouble.
Old 05-03-2019, 01:16 PM
WYZIWYG

Received 203 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Cracka350
I'd encourage it. These forums are simple and last for years. Give specifics and maybe even pictures along with a searchable title and you're helping the lurkers that dont want to cause any trouble.
LOL, well there won't be any pix unless you guys want to see my car getting loaded onto flatbed before they towed it away. The shop said they wouldn't remove the old TCM to actually show me the broken sections and suggested it'd be easier to replace my existing transmission [123k] with a slightly less used one [50k] with all parts included instead of me just purchasing a replacement TCM.
Old 05-03-2019, 02:05 PM
260DET

Back on topic, there seems to be a bit of a misunderstanding in this thread as to advice ie the financial aspect of a swap and the mechanics of said swap, two separate questions. Perhaps OP's should make it clear which aspect they would like advice on. It's understandable why someone would get peed off when they think financial aspect advice is what the OP wants.

My 33 is a circuit race car, AKA money pit, with a six 50mm throttle body DE so if it blows I'd want to keep it all Nissan with a VHR if possible. Another reason not to go LS is that would push more weight forward when a stock 33 is already front heavy. We all have our own priorities and requirements so there is 'no one size fits all' when it come to engine swaps. Given the above i'm interested in a VHR swap just in case.

EDIT The alternative for me would be to stay with a built DE, an ultimate DE if there is such an animal. More revs please

Last edited by 260DET; 05-03-2019 at 02:17 PM.
Old 05-03-2019, 02:08 PM
BabyZ33

Back on topic, there seems to be a bit of a misunderstanding in this thread as to advice ie the financial aspect of a swap and the mechanics of said swap, two separate questions. Perhaps OP's should make it clear which aspect they would like advice on. It's understandable why someone would get peed off when they think financial aspect advice is what the OP wants.

My 33 is a circuit race car, AKA money pit, with a six 50mm throttle body DE so if it blows I'd want to keep it all Nissan with a VHR if possible. Another reason not to go LS is that would push more weight forward when a stock 33 is already front heavy. We all have our own priorities and requirements so there is 'no one size fits all' when it come to engine swaps. Given the above i'm interested in a VHR swap just in case.
I will post pictures the HR fits well in the DE chassis I am just going to figure out all of the wiring for the manual swap
Old 05-03-2019, 02:20 PM
260DET

I will post pictures the HR fits well in the DE chassis I am just going to figure out all of the wiring for the manual swap
That would be useful, I'm sure others would be interested too if only to say "That's too hard" LOL.
BabyZ33 (05-04-2019)