Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Battery Drain Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2021, 12:52 PM
New2MeZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery Drain Help

Just bought a project Z with a supposed parasitic drain, but I have no issues starting it up after sitting for 4-5 days. I read a few threads before posting this on how to troubleshoot. However, I noticed a few things that blew my mind today:
1. The positive terminal was broken - replaced
2. Battery latches/hold-downs are completely missing. Is it safe for DD without them? If not, does anyone know the part number or correct term? I cannot think of what to even search for.
3. Copper(?) wires to the side of the battery. Speak wires? Can anyone ID them?
4. Large red wire was disconnected; you can also see it in pic 2 at the front. Does anyone know what this could be used for?

This car used to have an aftermarket set-up, so I do not know how a stock 350z terminal should look like. If these wires do not mean anything, then great!

Car has probably been modded in a couple areas, but it starts and drives well enough. A lot of little things to fix: window motors, it's missing one of the hatch springs (will probably replace both), etc. But having a great time driving it to and from work. It's so much more fun compared to my '95 Corolla! ​​​​​​​

Positive terminal wasn't making good contact

Not locked down inside the car. Notice the red wire.

Speaker wires? Do they need to be connected to something?

Where the red wire ends. Should it be connected somewhere?
Old 03-05-2021, 01:16 PM
New2MeZ

Red face Battery Drain Help

Recently bought a used Z with a supposed parasitic draw. I have been able to start it even after 4-5 days of sitting. I also read up on many threads before posting this. I found a few troubling things that I need help ID'ing.
1. The positive battery terminal was broken, but I replaced it.
2. There is nothing holding down the battery. What do you call that? Is it safe to DD it without the bars?
3. There are some copper(?) wires to the side. Do they need to be connected to anything?
4. There is a large red wire in the front. What could it be and what should it connect to?

It's a pretty good car that definitely needs a lot of little things; window motor, missing hatch spring (will replace both), key doesn't unlock door. Otherwise, it seems to starts and runs well, but the parasitic draw is the 1st thing I need to fix since I cannot rely on the 1 keyhole; it doesn't turn the door cylinder.

Thanks!

Nothing holding it down. Notice the red wire in the front.

Should these be connected to something?

Should this be connected to something? Battery is on the left in this angle. The front of the car is to the right.

Last edited by New2MeZ; 03-05-2021 at 01:18 PM.
Old 03-05-2021, 02:51 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,307 Likes on 907 Posts

Welcome- it looks like you've purchased a host of electronic mysteries along with the Z. First, you do need a battery tiedown strap to hold the battery in position. Go to your local Nissan dealer to buy a new metal strap with the threaded J poles. Otherwise, you might be able to get them at a salvage yard. As for the copper/black wires and the red connectors, I have no idea. Did the previous owner give you any details? Aftermarket alarm, stereo system? That's for you to figure out, and you may have to trace the wires down. .
The following users liked this post:
New2MeZ (03-10-2021)
Old 03-05-2021, 04:11 PM
New2MeZ

Originally Posted by dkmura
Welcome- it looks like you've purchased a host of electronic mysteries along with the Z. First, you do need a battery tiedown strap to hold the battery in position. Go to your local Nissan dealer to buy a new metal strap with the threaded J poles. Otherwise, you might be able to get them at a salvage yard. As for the copper/black wires and the red connectors, I have no idea. Did the previous owner give you any details? Aftermarket alarm, stereo system? That's for you to figure out, and you may have to trace the wires down. .
Hi! Thank you! This is certainly a treasure trove of information and posts. This car has definitely been modified in a couple of ways before and current. I do not have much experience with Zs prior so my main question is if say the red wire is stock and people know it should be connected to something.

Thank you for the idea about reaching out to the old owner. Unfortunately, it sounds like it was from the prior owner to them. He mentioned they were connected to the negative and positive terminals before, but cannot remember if the drain started happening before or after he changed out the battery.

Fingers crossed that terrible positive terminal was the cause of the drain. HAHAHA

Old 03-05-2021, 05:46 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,307 Likes on 907 Posts

Neither the red wire nor the black/copper connectors are stock. There's no way for any of us would know what they were powering.

Last edited by dkmura; 03-05-2021 at 05:50 PM.
The following users liked this post:
New2MeZ (03-10-2021)