Notices
Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to not blow a fuse when installing new LED's?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 06:20 PM
WEARERAD1CAL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to not blow a fuse when installing new LED's?

Okay this probably sounds very dumb but last time i put LED's in I blew a fuse and almost all of my lights stopped working. I want put blue domelights in, what do I need to do ensure that I don't blow a fuse again? The lights I got last time were from ebay, was that the problem? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:12 PM
beezee

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

It is always recommended to disconnect the negative battery cable before any kind of electrical work. That simple
Old 12-28-2012, 07:14 PM
WEARERAD1CAL

Originally Posted by beezee
It is always recommended to disconnect the negative battery cable before any kind of electrical work. That simple
don't make fun of me, but I don't know how to do that
Old 12-28-2012, 09:21 PM
beezee

Originally Posted by WEARERAD1CAL
don't make fun of me, but I don't know how to do that
lower both windows about an inch or 2 or way down if you want. The reason is to avoid the glass hitting the edge of the roof when you close the door while the battery is disconnected. You know anytime you open your door the window slides down a bit so it does not hit when you close it. Now when the battery is disconnected you lose that function. that is why you have to lower it.
Now open your hood. (i hope you can do that). Open the plastic battery cover to expose the battery. The negative terminal is the left wire that goes from the left terminal of the battery to the body of the car (left fender on the passenger side). use a socket wrench (10mm i think. i do not have the stock battery anymore so i don't quite remember the size of wrench). CAREFULLY loosen the wire and disconnect from the battery terminal. I usually put a dry rag on he post to avoid accidental contact while disconnected. when done with your led install, CAREFULLY connect the wire back to the post. do NOT disconnect the positive battery terminal (the one with red cap). you may need to reprogram some functions on your headunit.
hope this helps. DISCLAIMMER: I am not responsible for any dammage to your car or injury to yourself or others in the proccess. follow instructions in your manual
Old 12-28-2012, 10:22 PM
jomamahama

okay sit down in car, usually there is a lever below and to the left of the steering wheel. Pull that lever and this disengages the hood lock. Go to the front of the car and slide your fingers under the hood until you feel a latch/lever you can push. If you do it right, the hood comes fully unlocked and you can push it up and balance it with a stick lying down at the front of the car near the latch you just opened. Prop open the hood and look for a plastic compartment in the shape of a rectangle near to your windshield on the left side. That should be the battery (if not there, then check the right side). Use a little wrench to unscrew the negative wire (usually black). I always just disconnect both if i'm not sure.
Hope that helps!
Old 12-28-2012, 10:57 PM
SR71
Lead Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 305 Likes on 166 Posts

Take a deep breath, relax, and take your time when working on a car. This should help you from bowing a fuse and getting worked up over a small thing.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:00 AM
WEARERAD1CAL

Originally Posted by jomamahama
okay sit down in car, usually there is a lever below and to the left of the steering wheel. Pull that lever and this disengages the hood lock. Go to the front of the car and slide your fingers under the hood until you feel a latch/lever you can push. If you do it right, the hood comes fully unlocked and you can push it up and balance it with a stick lying down at the front of the car near the latch you just opened. Prop open the hood and look for a plastic compartment in the shape of a rectangle near to your windshield on the left side. That should be the battery (if not there, then check the right side). Use a little wrench to unscrew the negative wire (usually black). I always just disconnect both if i'm not sure.
Hope that helps!
Oh geez, I know how to open the hood hahah i just wasn't sure about the battery
Old 12-29-2012, 09:02 AM
WEARERAD1CAL

lower both windows about an inch or 2 or way down if you want. The reason is to avoid the glass hitting the edge of the roof when you close the door while the battery is disconnected. You know anytime you open your door the window slides down a bit so it does not hit when you close it. Now when the battery is disconnected you lose that function. that is why you have to lower it.
Now open your hood. (i hope you can do that). Open the plastic battery cover to expose the battery. The negative terminal is the left wire that goes from the left terminal of the battery to the body of the car (left fender on the passenger side). use a socket wrench (10mm i think. i do not have the stock battery anymore so i don't quite remember the size of wrench). CAREFULLY loosen the wire and disconnect from the battery terminal. I usually put a dry rag on he post to avoid accidental contact while disconnected. when done with your led install, CAREFULLY connect the wire back to the post. do NOT disconnect the positive battery terminal (the one with red cap). you may need to reprogram some functions on your headunit.
hope this helps. DISCLAIMMER: I am not responsible for any dammage to your car or injury to yourself or others in the proccess. follow instructions in your manual

with that disclaimer, I don't trust myself doing this... is it really that risky to just put the domelights in without disconnecting it? The led that blew my fuse last time was the trunk light and they were really cheap LED's. The domelight ones I bought were a little more expensive
Old 12-29-2012, 09:22 AM
beezee

cheap or expensive does not play a role here. it is just a safe precaution for any kind of electrical work on your car. if disclaimmers scare you i bet you can never do anything by yourself. Mcdonalds has disclaimmers too. you just have to look for them. lol
Old 12-29-2012, 09:29 AM
WEARERAD1CAL

cheap or expensive does not play a role here. it is just a safe precaution for any kind of electrical work on your car. if disclaimmers scare you i bet you can never do anything by yourself. Mcdonalds has disclaimmers too. you just have to look for them. lol
Hahah yeah I understand, I talked to someone else and they said that you don't really need to disconnect the battery to replace the domelights, just make sure the lights are off and have been off so the bulbs aren't hot. Thanks for all the help!
Old 12-29-2012, 09:31 AM
WEARERAD1CAL

btw, i'm more worried about blowing a fuse then shocking myself because 12volts won't do much to me haha