Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Emergency brake, VDC Off, and SLIP lights all on... need help troubleshooting...

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2004, 03:50 PM
John

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Emergency brake, VDC Off, and SLIP lights all on... need help troubleshooting...

I was at Summit Point this weekend, and I noticed my brakes getting a little mushy, so before my 2nd session, I decided to flush out my ATE SuperBlue for some Typ200 (same stuff, different color). Got the car out on track on the 2nd session, and the brake pedal was even mushier, but more predictable. So I bled the fluid again. Turned on the car to test the brake pedal, and I was pleased with the feel. However, I noticed that my emergency brake, VDC Off, and SLIP indicators were on.

Now, I've spun my car around on the skidpad (had the VDC off), and when you do, a lot of times the VDC system is terminated and the SLIP light comes on. The only way to reset it is to turn the car off, and then on again. While I'm not sure about this, when the VDC Off and SLIP indicators are lit, the ABS is deactivated as well (car sure didn't want to stop while sliding backwards).

I figured that I might have fried an ABS sensor, so I went back out for the 3rd session, threshold braked, andY the ABS was still active (well, at least the fronts were, not sure about the rears). Anyone have any idea what my problem could be? Car performed well for the 3rd and 4th sessions (and my drive home), but I'm perplexed. Help please!
Old 03-07-2004, 06:50 PM
D_Nyholm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm, sounds really strange to me. When I removed the fuse labeled 'Brake' by the drivers kick panel, I had the same thing happen. I doubt it, but maybe you blew the fuse? I would also try resetting the ECU and see what happens. Maybe leave the battery unplugged for 24 hours to get it to fully reset instead of messing around with a stopwatch and the gas pedal!!
Old 03-11-2004, 02:33 PM
sschmuve

I just got the same thing under heavy braking. Do you get this when the pads are low?
Old 03-11-2004, 04:13 PM
sakred

yeah all you guys need a is new pads. happened to me about a year ago when i had my Z. seems after a certain point the vdc doesnt wanna take responsibility for braking. i thought i had blown a circuit in my parking brake since the light only came on durring accel and decell in the begining and later the lights stayed on continously. all it is, is you need new pads and the problem will go away
Old 03-11-2004, 04:34 PM
2003z

probably just a temporary glitch. We were at a complete stop the other day in my wifes G35c and the slip, vdc off and abs lights all came on. Nav screen also flashed vdc failure than abs failure.

Restarted the car and all was normal again.
Old 03-12-2004, 12:28 PM
John

Plenty of life left the brake pads, plenty of fluid, and restarting the car doesn't make any difference. Lights are still there. As far as I can tell, the car is performing normal... :shrug:

I was going to try and have the dealer look at it, but I haven't had the time to get it out there.
Old 03-12-2004, 03:45 PM
sschmuve

Ok...I think I fixed it. The owners manual says to fill the brake fluid to Max. My fluid was right in the middle, and it set the lights. I filled it nearly to Max, and did a few hard stops. No lights. I'm at 22,000 miles, and it looks like there is quite a bit of meat left on the pads. I'll wait a little longer to change them.

My theory is... because I drive my baby through the winter, I have the TCS hitting the rear brakes a lot. So all 4 have worn evenly causing the low fluid level.
Old 03-14-2004, 03:46 PM
John

Heh, well this is wierd. I figured out the problem. I inspected the brake fluid reservoir, and realized there was some brake fluid on the reservoir electrical harness. I pulled it out, cleaned it up with a q-tip, and oila, no more lights. :shrug:
Old 03-19-2004, 06:19 AM
GATORZ

Default Same thing during brake upgrade

I got all the lights when I was bleeding the brakes during my line and brake upgrade. When I got it all done and the fluid was topped off everything was fine.

Dan