Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Attn: Z owners - Alignment Issues - Please Read (moderators included)

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2004 | 09:21 AM
4myZ350

the last couple of post or saying we are respossible for aligment but thats not for sure as long as nissan has lost every LL case they will have to check alignment when feathering starts again and replace the tires each time WE (you , I , they )see the tire getting to the State Specs for safety.
Old 03-31-2004 | 09:50 AM
4myZ350

go to Discussions>to Nissan >tire feahtering SULUTION $$$$$'s
Old 03-31-2004 | 09:52 AM
4myZ350

send the bill to Nissan NNA . then pat. the fix and Nissan will have to pay each time a car is fixed . LOL!!!
Old 03-31-2004 | 10:22 AM
kbsig106

Default Feathering in and out

Just got the word - my hearing is to be held on April 16th @ 10:30 am to finally settle the Lemon Law claim.

So I'll be happy to provide any info I can.
Old 03-31-2004 | 12:37 PM
VandyZ

All I am saying is Nissan has done what they need to do to suit me. I have 30,0000 miles on my car. I am on my 3rd set of tires (really 2nd cause I got new wheels). My replacement tires started roaring after 17,000 miles since they first fixed the issue. I fault myself for not getting the alignment checked at the 10K or even 15k mark on the new tires.

For those of you who drive the car hard and who have crappy roads the car is not going to stay aligned as long. Now if Nissan wants to release a fix that will make an alignment last longer, that would be awesome. I am not holding my breath.

I am sorry to those individuals who are really having issues where the car will not stay aligned causing improper tire wear. I am seeing this issue come around in a cyclic manor for many and it is something that could be prevented by either the consumer or the vendor. We have been hearing rumors of a fix since early 2003 so if one comes around I hope it fixes your issue.

Best of luck to all.
Old 03-31-2004 | 07:09 PM
j-man

Hey Guys,
Just to clarify from an earlier post, the TSB is for a 'pull to the right', the feathering is just a result of an alignment issue.

From what I'm seeing, the alignment issue isn't just do to poor roads or excessive driving conditions--I dont drive my car hard at all, and only have 4.5K miles, 4 visits to two dealerships to resolve in that period is grossly unacceptable. And apparently, a significant majority of us are dealing with this.

I am interested to the outcome of kbsig's BBB case, although laws vary from state to state, it's an indicator.

I've spoken to various people about this outside of this site as well. I've been recommended by different specialty Z shops in my area of a shop that can get me going. Guess this guy is yoda of alignment world, I hear in best in No Cal. Guess I'll be the judge of that.

For those of you who have indicated that you're seeking legal advise, seriously, if you dont mind, please keep me in the loop on this. You can email me at the owners350z@yahoo.com address. I had been thinking of coming at them from the consumer affairs perspective, but if there's a more appropriate means of going after them, I'm in full support of this.

With respect to what I was looking for, I've received some information--which was more than I expected, but if you're uncomfortable with providing that much data, I completely understand. If you could just provide name, city, state, and if you can formally document all your service records on this issue, I'm okay with that. I just want to be able to provide their consumer affairs and my local BBB of this. California also has thier New Motor Vehicle Board--I'm looking into how they might be able to help here as well.

Thanks.

And to clarify, I'm not at all agreeable to half-azz fixes by Nissan. We've all spent way to much money on this vehicle to suffer from mechanical issues, as well as poor service and support from their service groups AND their consumer affairs organization.
Old 04-01-2004 | 06:44 AM

has anyone considered class action suit?
Old 04-06-2004 | 04:38 PM
pbenchin

Another tale of tire wear:

I just encountered the dreaded rumble noise on the front wheels at 12,000 miles. So far the dealer, Schair's Nissan in Long Beach, has not stepped up to the plate to even do the TSB. They are trying to charge me for an alignment AND the tire swap! $155 for a service that shouldn't be charged to the consumer. Not to mention that now I have damaged tires. The Service Advisor said that I should have had an alignment at 7,500 miles. He also tried to accuse me of low tire pressure, even though I just had the car serviced there 2 weeks prior.

So now I am having lack of response from Nissan North America. My car has been at the dealer for 8 days now. The Nissan North America rep. actually told me he couldn't reach the dealer after repeated efforts. Still no word on what will happen with the car. So I sit getting more and more angry with the dealer and Nissan North America. Has anyone else been getting treatment this bad from their dealer or Nissan?

J-man I'll be sending you my info. Thanks for taking the fight on for all of us!

Sincerely,

Paul Benson
Old 04-07-2004 | 04:54 AM
FairladyZ

Anyone with this problem in the Texas area should goto Bankston Nissan of Lewisville. Ask for Brad Reed in the service dept, and tell them Paul sent you. He will be glad to replace your tires and fix your car. They replaced both front sets of tires (2 pairs) on my Z's. And it seems for now the problem is completely gone. Took less than a month to get my tires, it seemed like 2 weeks maybe?

The brick had the pulling to the right problem+feathering+noise, for now they are all fixed.
The white one had unbearable noise+feathering. Fixed.

Now when you drive the cars with everything off all you hear is the noise of the wind.
Old 04-08-2004 | 04:35 AM
web guy

Update on my post from before: If you are interested in filing a class action, I suggest that everyone check out my site, www.nissantireproblems.com. On the site, there is a link to the leading lemon law firm in Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Delaware and there are links to other firms as well. The firm, Kimmel & Silverman, has indicated that if there is enough interest from consumers to pursue a class action lawsuit, they would do so, seeking to compel Nissan to acknowledge the problem with an appropriate and effective repair, or compel Nissan to buy back all affected vehicles.

They have an excellent reputation and have handled over 25,000 cases and are very familiar with the Nissan 350z situation. They are certainly interested in pursuing a class action nationally, but they tell me that a NJ client would be more desirable because it would be the most friendly place to get the class action certified and resolved. Apparently the outcomes tend to be more consumer-friendly in New Jersey even though the resolution would affect consumers throughout the United States.

If anyone is willing to be the lead plaintiff in NJ, please let me know, and we can get the ball rolling. Send me your information via the form on the website http://www.nissantireproblems.com/class_action.php or via pm and we should hopefully get the feathering issue resolved once and for all.
Old 04-11-2004 | 09:47 AM
barrybell

Originally posted by j-man
Westpak--it's an alignment issue, pulls hard to the right.

I'm certainly not a mechanic and do not profess to have expertise in this area, but it appears that these two things are inter-related. The alignment issue, I would speculate, is a root cause of the tire feathering. Most of what I've read from the people in this forum would cause me to believe this.

T.Lowry--I welcome your suggestions, and you're right, we must all be speaking the same language with respect to what we're dealing with. With only 4K miles on my Z, I've yet to notice the sound or the feathering however, the alignment issue however, is absurd.

Most, and I'm going to guess >90% of the complaints I've read with respect to the 'pull' regards pulling to the right. There are two other possible causes, 'road crown' and the fact that most cars are designed to slightly pull to the right.

Nissan's definition of the alignment issue is outlined in their TSB:

A. - The vehicle completes a lane change in less than 7 seconds
B. - With no steering correction from the driver and
C. - When driving at 60mph
D. - All four wheels must pass into the other lane (in 7 second period)
E. - While driving on a crowned slope road of less than 1%

Outside of "E", I think many of us can confirm the first 4 items--as has two of the dealerships I've visted.

The 'feathering' issue I've not really started to notice, so I'd need assistance in clarifying specifically a 'text book' definition of what this issue is. I've seen some links to other 3rd party sites providing definitions...

Right now, I'm only focused on this alignment issue, I've not experienced any other real issues with my car.

As a secondary thought, based on past experience in lemon law related issues (Nissan repurchased a '95 Sentra from me that was classified as lemon due to 'stalling' issues)--I think we need to somehow try and leverage 'safety' as an issue / concern. And quite honestly, this is a valid concern on my behalf. I would tend to believe that the more we push the safety issue, the greater visibility we can get on this complaint.

This is all a bit new to me and I'm not quite sure how to address either. I've already involved my local BBB office as I have to have this documented on my end. However, this, in the end, may only help me and not resolve the underlying issue that many of their consumers are dealing with.

I welcome further thoughts on this approach. Also, any updates on the additional TSB's? The only one I have is dated April 25, 2003. I've seen posts of an additional TSB released in December...
As a transportation engineer, I know for a fact that many State and Federal Interstate highways are built at 2% or greater cross slope.
So for Item E. good luck finding that 1% cross slope highway.

Item E is a catch22 for many of us.

Last edited by barrybell; 04-11-2004 at 09:52 AM.
Old 04-13-2004 | 11:04 AM
DumbGenius

http://autoweek.com/weekart/2004/0419/350Z_tsb.pdf

Link to the TSB related to the issue.
Old 04-23-2004 | 08:52 PM
mxpx_8

Nissan is still 'investigating' this issue for the 2004's. I have tire feathering on my '04.

Confirmed by a 3rd party (Goodyear Tire Shop)....
Old 05-04-2004 | 08:58 AM
rclab1

Default I too.....

I too am developing (actually really loud) rumbling and roaring Noises from 40mph to 0mph......

its like there is a dead spot on the front tires
and you can hear it round and round .....

its very annoying.....

Last Week i made an appoint at mY Nissan dealership
and today is the day I'm going to get
front New Tires (RE 040) and a
complete alignment.....

i will repost tomorrow on what the car
sounds like after......

As for the consumers who had a
New FRont tire swap plus a alignment
and it didn't work, or it came back after
3000 miles......
what are your next options....

isn't it obvious that if a consumer
keeps coming back at every 3-5K miles
there's a Problem with Feathering!!!!????!!!!

please let me know and keep me informed

i paid close to 40,000 dollars on my Z-Roadster
and it has 5000 miles on it and i'm encountering
this Roaring noise already!

please post, thank you for everyone's input.....
Old 05-04-2004 | 01:29 PM
pulpz2

rclab1

You may want to read the following thread . It is much more active than this thread.

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=15758
Old 05-05-2004 | 05:10 AM
rclab1

Default just got my front new tires/and alignment from Nissan

boy what a difference.....
my Z-Roadster has only 5k miles on it
and it sounds like its new again,,,,,

no more roaring noises from the tires......

hope it doesn't come back after 3k miles of
driving,,,,,someone in the forum mentioned
that it happened to them.....

keep me posted
Old 05-05-2004 | 07:07 AM
Sly_Z

Is this still an issue after you get the alignment done properly.
Old 05-05-2004 | 11:25 AM
boodong

I had my tires relpaced at about 19000 miles and had an alignment done. Both on my own dime. Then I read about the new TSB extending the warranty on alignment / tire replacement and thought I would get reimbursed for my front tires.
I called NNA for the right procedure in filing my claim.
well, here is some news...if you replaced your tires with any other tire than the Potenzas you will not get your money back.
I put on some Michelin Sports tires and because of that, I am screwed.

good job NNA
Old 05-05-2004 | 01:55 PM
pulpz2

Originally posted by boodong
I had my tires relpaced at about 19000 miles and had an alignment done. Both on my own dime. Then I read about the new TSB extending the warranty on alignment / tire replacement and thought I would get reimbursed for my front tires.
I called NNA for the right procedure in filing my claim.
well, here is some news...if you replaced your tires with any other tire than the Potenzas you will not get your money back.
I put on some Michelin Sports tires and because of that, I am screwed.

good job NNA
Did you get a notice in the mail from NNA last week concerning the "growl" issue? There was a response card included with this letter that is used for getting a refund on tires purched after 12k miles. I thought this included other tire brands. But maybe I'm wrong - I'll double check.

If people are not getting this notice I can scan and post the letter I recieved.
Old 05-05-2004 | 02:25 PM
BRONXWARRIOR

SCAN AND POST IT please.

im waiting for this letter so i can go for the third time for the feathering shitt.

i am considering THE LEMON LAW from what i here you have to do it in 2 years from purchase WHICH is september for me.

so ill fix the tires in may and if its back by august im returning the car "

Quick Reply: Attn: Z owners - Alignment Issues - Please Read (moderators included)