Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Attn: Z owners - Alignment Issues - Please Read (moderators included)

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2004 | 11:27 AM
fdao

It appears to me that in order to minimize the tire feathering issues, after getting new tires and realigning, you have to periodically realign them. One of the Hawaii 350Z members align his car every oil change, and so far has not encountered any of the roaring issues. His mileage is over 15K.
Old 07-02-2004 | 04:04 PM
zzz350

this issue blows goats!
Old 07-02-2004 | 04:46 PM
fdao

Originally posted by zzz350
this issue blows goats!
And a bunch of other god forsaken excrements
Old 07-05-2004 | 03:47 PM
hungster

wow i just bought my freakin z and now i find out that will prob have to align it almost every oil change? a alignment is like 80 bucks or more usually. This is something i hope that my nissan dealer will take care of.
Old 07-06-2004 | 12:35 PM
fdao

Originally posted by hungster
wow i just bought my freakin z and now i find out that will prob have to align it almost every oil change? a alignment is like 80 bucks or more usually. This is something i hope that my nissan dealer will take care of.
Well, your dealer will most likely not cover you on that one . This is what I would do; do an alignment now to see if you're in spec. If not, this is the time to get it right. Then do an alignment once a yr if you can. I think the every oil change alignment is a bit overkill, but hey, still cheaper than a set of Bridgestone tires.
Old 07-07-2004 | 03:17 PM
postal

I was considering a purchase of the Z until I ran across this thread. Now i am scared.

However after having read through most of them i recall the same thing happening to my 1984 thunderbird, my 1990 Mustang, my 2000 Ford Explorer, my wife's F150 and my old 1986 Honda civic. All of them had a toe-out problem that caused the cupping on the inside of the tire, a few had a caster change due to struts movement in the shock towers and I had a number of camber changes that due to wearing of the ball joints or failing struts.

But all these occured over many more miles that you guys are encountering. It is worht purchasing what is apparently a flawed design?
Old 07-07-2004 | 06:21 PM
cdemot02

This info appeared on another forum site on 7-5-04:

About the feathering.... The nationwide recall will not be a "new tire" and "alignment" fix. It will actually be new (or refurbished...depending on available quantity) parts that will be swapped out for existing parts. I do know this.....it has NISMO stamped on the part(s), so I dunno if Nissan will change that when recall time comes around....
Old 07-11-2004 | 05:55 PM
GaryK

Originally posted by cdemot02

About the feathering.... The nationwide recall will not be a "new tire" and "alignment" fix. It will actually be new (or refurbished...depending on available quantity) parts that will be swapped out for existing parts. I do know this.....it has NISMO stamped on the part(s), so I dunno if Nissan will change that when recall time comes around....
Where did this info come from?
Old 07-13-2004 | 09:15 AM
Thaddeus

Originally posted by GaryK
Where did this info come from?

Dito, where did this come from??
Old 07-14-2004 | 07:12 AM
akula13

Angry

Hello all,
i have the same tire wear on my Z and have noticed the tires last somewhere around 10 to 12k miles in florida, i currently have just a klick over 30 k on my z i have had my tires replaced by nissan and will have them replaced again. i spent nearly 2 hours on the phone with a NNA rep that informed me nissan and bridgestone changed the compunding of the tires to make the inner section a bit harder, and therefore more resistant to wear, and will solve the problem of the tires feathering, i dont buy it but we will see as i get my new tires this week sometime. hopefully. i have had a lot of sports cars and none have ever behaved like this, i think someone will come up with a fix for this maby it will come from the aftermarket (stillen hopefully) but for nissan to fix this is going to mean a long arduous process for all of us. i did sign up on the nissan tirewear site as i will gladly join the fray to have nissan take responsibility for this problem with our cars
thanks
James
Old 07-14-2004 | 06:11 PM
busam26

Unhappy

I work for a Nissan Dealership, and still cannot get a straight answer from service or corporate...is this feathering issue going to be resolved on the 05' Z's, or not. I would appreciate some info if anyone knows the real story!
Old 07-15-2004 | 06:41 AM
zzz350

F '05s, I have an '03 and want to know if the problem is actually curable.
Old 07-17-2004 | 09:49 AM
LunchMeatMonste

I have an '04 model with about 9000 miles so far. I had the car lowered (and aligned) about 2 1/2 months ago , and have the Nismo wheels/Bridgestones. So far i've had no feathering problems, but in the last few weeks have noticed a subtle vibration, along with a noise that sounds like the dull repetitive "phump" sound of a helicopter. It is most noticeable around 50mph, so it's off to the dealer I go to find out their "diagnosis" of the problem. If this problem falls into the same category as what you all are experiencing, then I will send my information as well.
Old 07-19-2004 | 10:21 PM
Zenvy

Originally posted by cdemot02

I dunno about the credibility of the source...skeptical but frustratingly hopeful.

http://www.zcar.com/forums/read.php?...23151&t=123151

Last edited by Zenvy; 07-19-2004 at 10:30 PM.
Old 07-20-2004 | 05:49 PM
JRock

Can someone explain why this issue cannot be fixed by either replacing fixed parts with adjustable ones or adjustable parts with more adjustable ones?

I don't understand why this issue can't be corrected by adding adjustable camber or toe parts.

I'm reading a thread over at 6mt.net where even G35Coupe owners with the 18" wheel and tire package are saying they are getting incredibly bad and uneven tire wear as well - feathering essentially, and that car shares the same front suspension.

Why after two years aren't there parts available to fix this?

Thanks.
Old 07-21-2004 | 02:54 AM
GaryK

Originally posted by JRock
Can someone explain why this issue cannot be fixed by either replacing fixed parts with adjustable ones or adjustable parts with more adjustable ones?

I don't understand why this issue can't be corrected by adding adjustable camber or toe parts.

I'm reading a thread over at 6mt.net where even G35Coupe owners with the 18" wheel and tire package are saying they are getting incredibly bad and uneven tire wear as well - feathering essentially, and that car shares the same front suspension.

Why after two years aren't there parts available to fix this?

Thanks.
This problem may be fixed with the ability to adjust caster. The tires are showing a 'heel-toe' wear pattern, and excessive caster is often the cause of it. Adjustable camber isn't going to make this particular problem go away. By adjusting the camber, you could get more even wear across the tire tread, but the heel-toe pattern would likely still exist. Regarding the toe adjustment, we already have plenty of adjustment as the car comes from the factory. Once again, adjusting the toe will not usually get rid of a heel-toe wear pattern, rather it will simply move the pattern around on the tire (inside to outside).
Old 07-21-2004 | 03:22 AM
JRock

Okay thanks for the informative reply!

Is there an adjustable caster part(s) available yet?

Which parts on the Z/G35C control the tire's caster?

Also, caster is sort of the position of the wheel/tire in relation to the axle from the side, yes? Sort of either angled ahead of or behind of pure Vertical alignment. Which was is it in the front suspension of these cars?

Last edited by JRock; 07-21-2004 at 03:25 AM.
Old 07-21-2004 | 08:42 PM
Vin Diesel

Originally posted by Grommit
My car was built the same month as yours, j-man.

The only problems I notice with my Z is that is just slightly pulls to the right and my tires are noisey when I slow down from about 35MPH. The thing is my Z did this from the day I picked it up at the dealer with only 6 miles on the car. I have been checking my tires for feathering yet there are no visible signs of it thus far. I have seen and felt quite a few '03 Z's with feathered tires so I do have a good sense of what to look for. So far with 3,800 miles on my Z, the tires are looking/feeling good, they sound noisey though.

I'll keep you updated as time goes by. The fact that the tires are noisy when slowing down worries me that in time I may see feathering. I got my fingers crossed.
The problem you are having is your inner tire is cupping this is due to the alignment settings from the manufactor my car was recalled for this and new tires were installed and my car drives like a SUV on a windy day! I have to constantly correct the steering my GOD this is their Flag Ship car!!

We have to go after Nissan as a group as our cars are not right and can't be fixed with the existing suspenion. The 2004 now have a different one if you do your research.
Vin
Old 07-21-2004 | 08:51 PM
Vin Diesel

Default Re: Attn: Z owners - Alignment Issues - Please Read (moderators included)

Originally posted by j-man
All,
This post builds off posts that I've seen from misel00 (03/19/04), overzealous (01/30/04) and droideka (01/07/04).

I've got a '04 350Z, build date 10/03--I just rolled past 4K miles and have already been to Nissan on three separate occassions to get my alignment issue resolved. As of yet, the problem remains!

This is enough--they're messing with the wrong people! I've read hundreds of posts on this site from individuals that have experienced this same problem--the service and support from Nissan on this matter is absolutely appalling.

I want to solicit your help! We will never get Nissan Motor Corporation to fix this issue unless we go in as a united front--it's the old parable, "united we stand, divided we fall" (or in this case, fail).

They destroyed my car!! I have the new settings I'll fax to you they are no good at all. The Sales Manager has the same car as mine and test drove after it was realigned and said it was like driveing a SUV on a windy day. Constantly having to correct the steering, the car dosen't push or pull just goes in the direction of the steering wheel. Is this a safety issue! Thay can't be fixed with the exsiting suspenion we have a long fight ahead of us.
Vin

The only way we can do this is if we have our problems documented, our names, our numbers, our locations, our SERVICE RECORDS.

I've set up an email account at yahoo (owners350Z@yahoo.com). I've done this for three reasons:
1.) I dont want to overwhelm this message board with posts from this community on this issue,
2.) Too difficult to document this information via posts in a chat forum,
3.) I'd like to help maintain the integrity of the confidentiality of the users of this site.

I need your help and your trust with this information (please email to above account listed):
1.) Name
2.) Address
3.) Vehicle information (year, model, vin #)
4.) Dates of documented service (full date), issue, resolution

From what I've seen, most of us have been in on multiple occassions, I need each occassion documented. Further, even if this has been resolved to your satisfaction, I need your information either way as we have to be able to show how many individuals this issue as impacted. I will never had time to respond to each of these emails, I can only document what has been forwarded to me.

This may not be a lemon law issue (differs from state to state), but this has major recall campaign written all over it! I'd like to try and collect this data over the course of the next month (through April 22)--this requires nothing from you other than what I've asked above and your trust that I will not violate your confidentiality!

I know I'm just some guy on a website thats asking for some absurdly confidential information, but we can't move forward without it. We will start first with Nissan Consumer Affairs--I'm already working with my local Better Business Bureau on this issue--we have to go after them from as many angles as possible.

Guys, we need to take this seriously--random rants as responses to this post wont help our cause. Also, I'm not sure of the size of this user community, but we also need to find a way to get in touch with people outside--I'll take recommendations in this area...?

Attn Moderators - I formally apologize to you if I'm breaking rules of this forum, thats not my intention. I just want to help everyone such as myself that is being jerked around my Nissan. If this is acceptable, I'm also asking that this 'post' be changed to a 'note' item such at it doesn't just get lost in the rolling posts section as more daily items get posted. I'd like to be listed as a 'top line' issue to get as much visibility as possible.

Attn Misel00 / Overzealous / Droideka - I will PM you separately--if you are serious about your attempts to get resolution from Nissan, then I strongly recommend that we touch case and coordinate our efforts.

Please understand, I love my car--I just want it fixed properly, once and for all.

Help us help ourselves!

thanks
Joshua Hughes,
SJ, CA
Old 07-22-2004 | 03:21 AM
JRock

Do people who put a set of coilovers on no longer have the problem or must they also install camber kits? Or does even that not help?

Quick Reply: Attn: Z owners - Alignment Issues - Please Read (moderators included)