Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2005, 08:16 PM
raidersfan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree John.
Old 03-14-2005, 12:53 PM
iceco1d

Guys, I haven't gotten a chance to read all of these posts, however, I have an 03 Touring and have recurring tire feathering. The dealer I go to tells me that they don't know if it can be fixed, they've already adjusted it and replaced the tires under warranty. However, with the recurring feathering, they are going to give it another shot when they get their new equipment later this year, and eat the cost of another set of tires (because Nissan will only do it once). I didn't think this was fair for the dealer to have to do, so I contacted 1-800-LEMON LAW or www.lemonlaw.com. The law firm is Kimmel and Silverman and they have handled the feathering issue with the Z before, and they took my case (granted, I've had every freaking TSB in the book, some that weren't in the book!). But if you are looking for some closure, they would be the people to contact, they handle the cases without charging you a dime, they will get their compensation from Nissan. Good luck!
Old 03-15-2005, 04:23 PM
seabass

Update, had tires replaced today with new tread design and 4 wheel alignment.

WOW, what a difference.

I forgot how nice it was to drive this car.

I have an 04' with 7000 miles and only 10 months old and nissan will NOT cover 04''s.

I was told by the S.E. rep to try to get the DEALER to cover the cost, but nissan will NOT paid for tires on 04's.

Thats why I now have a lawyer on the case.
Old 03-29-2005, 08:26 AM
danielkh

Default 2004 update

I have now put on over 5000 miles since they did the alignment and replaced the front tires. As of this time, there is no sign of recurrance. I believe the alignment does fix the problem, so being negative and suggesting that you have to replace your tires every 15000 miles is just taking the great Z fun and throwing it right out the window. Just go get on the freeway, find that silly little kid that wants to show you how great his corolla is by going 110 and let him run the front door for you!! I love those guys. Really helps getting from point A to point B.

Heck, the tires just have a tread wear of 140 anyway. You'll be lucky to get 25,000 out of them.

Enjoy! If you can't afford tires, then you really can't afford a Z and should have just gone with that ford minivan. I apologize if this sounds mean. I don't mean it to. But this is a sports car and they ain't cheap. Especially when the gas required is $2.30 a gallon. Nobody is complaining about the gas mileage.

Dan
Old 03-29-2005, 08:59 AM
pulpz2

Originally Posted by danielkh
I have now put on over 5000 miles since they did the alignment and replaced the front tires. As of this time, there is no sign of recurrance. I believe the alignment does fix the problem, so being negative and suggesting that you have to replace your tires every 15000 miles is just taking the great Z fun and throwing it right out the window. Just go get on the freeway, find that silly little kid that wants to show you how great his corolla is by going 110 and let him run the front door for you!! I love those guys. Really helps getting from point A to point B.

Heck, the tires just have a tread wear of 140 anyway. You'll be lucky to get 25,000 out of them.

Enjoy! If you can't afford tires, then you really can't afford a Z and should have just gone with that ford minivan. I apologize if this sounds mean. I don't mean it to. But this is a sports car and they ain't cheap. Especially when the gas required is $2.30 a gallon. Nobody is complaining about the gas mileage.

Dan
Dan, I tend to agree with you but at the same time a think the feathering problem varies in severity from car to car. Considering the fact that getting a good (accurate) alignment is a problem, the RE-040 tread pattern is conducive to feathering, the RE-040 are a noisy tire to begin with (yes, owners of other types of cars are complaining as well), and daily straight line freeway (Johnny law abiding commuter) driving does not evenly wear the front tires, this has been a very frustrating problem for some more so than others.

I too am a victim of tire feathering (I think of this thread as a support group, LOL). However I caught it a 7k and had the dealer redo the alignment a second time (it was wrong the first time). I also drive aggressively, thus evening the wear on the fronts. I have 16k miles and the rears are worn to the wear bars. The front have another 5k miles left in them (noisy as they are), but the left front has a nail. So IÃÎ getting new Goodyear F1 GS-D3s tomorrow.
Old 03-29-2005, 08:10 PM
danielkh

Actually,
I could have been a bit more helpful. Once any dealer states they are not willing to fix the problem, you should send a scathing e-mail to Nissan directly stating how well you like their cars, but if service is this bad, you would not be willing to purchase another. Wait for a reply and then go back to the dealer. They are ALL wired together. Ever fill out one of those reports on a dealership? The dealership knows the second it gets into Nissan. Tell them you want the regional manager to judge the tire damage. This should get you new ones. If it doesn't, go to another dealer that hopefully isn't too far away.

One thing I learned right off the bat with Nissan. Complain (loudly) once in their showroom and after that, you get pretty good service!

Oh, and to answer the previous posting on '04. Mine is an 04 enthusiast that had over 9000 miles on it and Nissan replaced my front tires. Not the dealership. And my car was bought from Carmax, not Nissan. GET THE NISSAN REGIONAL SERVICE MANAGER INVOLVED! Beats paying a lawyer.

Last edited by danielkh; 03-29-2005 at 08:17 PM.
Old 05-27-2005, 07:05 AM
danielkh

Default I now have almost 21000 miles on the Z

That is about 9000 or 10000 miles on the new tires. So far there has been no recurrance and even my back tires look like they have lots of wear left in them. Thank goodness for traction control. The Z just went through its 15000 mile checkup (a little late) and everything looked great including the tires.

Dan
Old 05-27-2005, 02:40 PM
Reese

Default Update

My '04 Z has 20,500 miles on it. Its been about 7,000 miles since I had tires replaced for feathering. I took front wheels off on Sunday and looked at them no feathering issues yet, no roar....wearing evenly!! Rears need replacing though probably have 2000-3000 miles left before they are seriously bald. Now I just need to decide if I am going to just replace the tires or the rims too!