Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Dealer Cracked My Bodykit

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2004 | 10:05 AM
chaknchngo

Default Dealer Cracked My Bodykit

I have a Veilside V.1 Full body kit.

That said, about 2 weeks ago I've decided that I'm sick of the road noise and the rattling inside due to the fact that Nissan didn't put together my windows right when they worked on the oil streak problem. I initially began talking to Nissan USA and complaining to them; this was my list:

Rattling - Had oil streaking problem solved, but I don't think the dealer put it together right. Took back in 2 times and both times they told me that 'all bolts and nuts are tight, i don't see the problem.'

Tire Feathering - After I found out that Nissan only covered up to 20k on the tires, I've decided that I was close to not being able to get new tires from them. (Currently @ 17k)

Rattling - This is coming from the rear view mirror. It has been ongoing ever since I got my car. Nissan USA told me they don't cover any rattles after 12.5k.

Tranny - I feel slight grind on the car, I wanted to be taken care of it before any major problems.

So I decide to make an appointment at Downtown Nissan (Los Angeles) and the guys totally says come in Monday. He can do everything aside from the rattling in the doors since this was worked on previously by another dealer. So they do not get paid by Nissan USA for the job.

I call my original dealer (Foothill Nissan) and tell them that I would like all my problems taken care of in that dealership. They tell me that they don't have the machine to do the Tire issue. So they would just take care of my window rattling problem.

I take my car in and next day it's done. Great! I take my car to Downtown Nissan next and that as soon as I get there I tell the Service Rep to go around my car and look for any damages. I told him to take a look at my rims and told them that I heard that a LOT of people were getting their rims scratched on the machine. On my left rim I have curb rashes about 5 inchens long and he said that he woulnd't pay for a new rim because there were already damages on the rims. I felt that it wasn't fair and gave him a scenario. I told him that if I had a dent on the side and another car came right at that dent and crashed into there wouldn't he be liable? He calls his manager and tells me to basically get out of their dealership. He tells me that he won't take my car. He was very rude and I call Nissan USA and complain.

So Nissan USA is no help, they tell me that they can't make a dealership fix my problem and that they can only take the complain. I said fine so I'm basically screwed. I need to take time off from my busy job and go find a dealer that will take my car. I pay a premium on the "NEW" 03 and can't get a dealership to fix my car the way it's suppose to be running?

So I call around and find out that Glendale Nissan would take my car. I specifically told the Service Tech that I want to be compesated if they scratch my rims and that I have a body kit. He tells me yes we would compensate you if we made any damages, but we need to see how low your body kit is.

I go in and does walks around my car and find no damages. He make me sign a paper stating that there is no damage known to both of us and happily takes my car. He says that he'll call me letting me know when the tires would come in.

He calls me later that afternoon saying that tires were in-stock and that they would fix it tomorrow; great I have no problem with that. Next day he calls me again and says my car was too low that they need to take it somewhere else to get my car aligned. I go ok, as long as my car is being fixed I have no problem. Now, yesterday he calls me again and tells me 'there's a slight crack on you bodykit and I will fix it tomorrow so I can have it to you for the weekend'. I go ok, I'm gonna go by today and take a look at it.

Now when I get there I wasn't expecting anything big since he didn't make it sound like it was bad. But they took a good chunck off my bodykit. This is the fiberglass and they took about 1" wide 1.5" long and about 2cm deep. Since he wasn't there I just took a look @ it and left.

Today I call them and he tells me that it's not bad that it'll be done by tonight. Well I tell him that it looks pretty bad and I don't think it'll be done today. I asked him what exactly were they going to do with it and how long would it take, since I knew that they would have to re-fiberglass, sand it and paint it. Now it's not like I asked the guy for a new body kit I just asked him what was gonna happen since it's my car and I'm concerned about it, but the guy toltally bust out saying that he should of never taken my car blah blah at the same time raising his voice. I practically started yelling at the guy telling him that they cracked it and that I had the right to know what was gonna happen with my car and so on and that I didnt' even tell him to get me a new kit or nothing.

WTF is wrong with these service reps?? They crack my kit and yells @ me b/c they cracked it? Nissan must do something about their service staff. Nissan USA needs to make a better contract with them regarding service. I will never buy a nissan again. I didn't have this much BS with my Honda Prelude service. NISSAN NEEDS TO LEARN CUSTOMER SERVICE.

Now what should I do? I just talked to the body shop they were suppose to take it to (my car is not there yet and it's 11) and they told me from what I described it would take a few days to get my car done. Do I have the right to demand for a new kit? Do they have to pay for it? What legal actions can I take? Can I go thru my inssurance and have them get it from Nissan? Do I wait until they fix my car?

The manager was suppose to call me back, but as of right now no word from her either. HOW THE F*** are these people running a business??????
Old 09-25-2004 | 11:29 AM
ProfessorKan

Glendale Nissan is shady and unprofessional.

If it's in the fine print, I'm sure the dealer would be liable for any damages. If it is clearly noted at time of dealer the car is in A condition, then it must be handed back in A condition. Just like a rental car.

Here my 2cents on bodykits.

(depending on the shop) If the kit is fiberglass, they will have to sand at least half the bumper down and then water sand some more to prep for paint.

As far as an 1" hole, most bodyshops will put bondo to fill in that space. Now this is where it gets interesting. Fiberglass is flexible, if the bondo is not done right, you will see wavy area after paint. If the area is not prep right or they rush it and not having enough time for bondo area to fully try, you might see paint peeling after a few weeks on that area as well.

The shop will also have to blend the color in with the rest of the car, again if this is not done right, your bumper might seem newer then the rest of the car.

This is my advice.

#1 I know you really want your car back, but try not to call the bodyshop and rush them. They'll only do a crappy job and rush your car out of there. i.e. let the burn in time of the paint less then 24hrs, less clear coat means less time sand and buff the paint.

#2 If you want to file anything or take any actions. Get your car back first. Don't cause anymore problems when your car is still in their hands.

#3 Read your papers that they have signed. If there is a discliamer on it, be prepared for it. If not, then challenge them

Good luck and hope everything works out soon!

Last edited by ProfessorKan; 09-25-2004 at 11:31 AM.