Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

POST Here to see which VIN's have Tranny issues.

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2002, 11:57 PM
InternetABYSS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default POST Here to see which VIN's have Tranny issues.

MY VIN is 913

This is just to check if we can see a pattern on early productions.

Remember folks we are test pigs getting a new car so early and also its tough that the dealers dont know jack about the car except to call tech support at nissan.

Be patient your car will get taken care of...

FYI-----THIS IS HOW THE PROBLEM STARTED FOR ME.

First my car had problems putting in gear very stiff ESPECIALLY at High rpm it felt like it didnt want to accept the gear....(noticed after breakin)...which leads to misshifts, which leads to grinding , which leads to new tranny.

Looks like the measurements were off on the factory clutch throw and plate on some cars (now I don't have to push the clutch all the way in to shift).....My tranny is freaking perfect now...Too bad they didnt catch it sooner...It could have saved em bucks on replacing the tranny.

My vin is 913...

Please post last couple digits of VIN so we can find out if this problem is isolated to just a batch of cars OR its speratic occurrances.
Old 10-26-2002, 04:17 AM
Jim Reichard

My vin is 1001. No problems at 1700 miles but my clutch definitely engages almost immediately at the bottom so much so so it took me a couple of days to get used to it after driving my S2000.

Just guessing I would think the average release would start at 3" + or - and mine is more like 1".
Old 10-26-2002, 04:19 AM
2003z

Old 10-26-2002, 04:39 AM
silvertrackz

Default 564

whining sound after upshifting and during acceleration. don't know if it's tranny issues.

by the way a nissan rep interviewed me this past wednesday about my experiences...likes/dislikes and issues about my car. i took him for a ride to let him listen for the noise, the burning smell during hard acceleration, the clunk noise during full circle turn(which comes once in a while). after that he gave me a $50 travellers check and told me that he'll submit all the issues to the engineers.
Old 10-26-2002, 05:47 AM
CoachZ

ABout two weeks ago I developed a 3rd gear grind, especially for the first few shifts in the morning. VIN 690.
Old 10-26-2002, 05:49 AM
DaChoZn1

2106 No problems so far. Except for p.o.s Bose. Only have 670 miles on her. Its been raining for the entire week.
Old 10-26-2002, 05:57 AM
Z33Fan

974. 1-2 upshift at high rpm/high rate of acceleration will cause miss_shift.
Old 10-26-2002, 05:57 AM
barnicleboy
Banned

Originally posted by Jim Reichard
My vin is 1001. No problems at 1700 miles but my clutch definitely engages almost immediately at the bottom so much so so it took me a couple of days to get used to it after driving my S2000.

Just guessing I would think the average release would start at 3" + or - and mine is more like 1".
im vin 1900, yes my clutch engages about an inch from the bottom. I dont know if this is normal, it is unusual, and id like to know if it signifies a problem. Im still not 100% used to it after driving 1300 miles.
Old 10-26-2002, 06:05 AM
aggie300zx

vin# 903

I have similiar problems going into 2, 3 rd gear at higher RPMs. It's next to impossible to get it into gear unless I back off of the rpms....basically what you described that occred with your's Internetabyss.

So far it looks concentrated around 900 ish range of vins???
Old 10-26-2002, 10:02 AM
Selski12

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Vin #3519

Noticed a mellow gear whine (more like metal grind?) on 5th gear after using the car for awhile. Its not too loud but noticeable when radio is off. It goes away probably above 2000rpm.
Old 10-26-2002, 02:14 PM
2003z

I've got what internetabyss has, but haven't started grinding the gears yet, just annoying. Interesting that we are 2 numbers apart
Old 10-26-2002, 03:16 PM
Slexis200

#286, and toooo many problems!!
Old 10-26-2002, 08:04 PM
raceboy
Banned

Tranny, clutch, clutch cover, pilot bushing, and throw out bearing all replaced under warranty. Car is perfect now. In fact, I thought the only problem I had was a noise, but it now shifts much smoother and feels more positive, but goes into gear easier.
Old 11-03-2002, 06:21 PM
mysteriumZ
Charter Member #101

hey internet abyss, i encounter the same problem, when i got my car, it was stiff to begin with, but i thought thats how all of them are and it would go away after break in period. but now the problem still exist. i just met up with slexis200 today on long island, i think he has the same problem. afterward we went to my dealer because they had a DB track on the show floor. we tested that car, the shift was really smooth compared to both of our cars, and there was another black touring there, and it was smooth as well. my vin is 450. i'm going to take it to service tomorrow, i'm afraid that those guys going to tell me its not a problem and say all of those cars are the same. so what did you do to get your new tranny? any advise?

thx
Old 11-03-2002, 06:25 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

15xx and its fine to me, but I dont have a long list of cars Ive driven previously, but it seems ok. havent redlined yet, only 370miles
Old 11-03-2002, 07:21 PM
webcarconnection

Mine is 169

I drived very hard, I do not did any breaking period, it have 2300 rigth now and no problems yet, maybe the car get used to from the begining. thank God!
Old 11-03-2002, 07:30 PM
jran76

some tranny problems, mainly grinding from 2 to 3, and some in other gears on ocassions.... I have 3000 miles now, and I will have the dealer check it out when I take it in, I have been out of town for most of the last month....
Old 11-03-2002, 11:20 PM
integraowner

Default tranny

I notice that the clutch is actually operating almost from the floor all the way up to top. I think that's a long throw for the clutch pedal.

My tranny is still a bit stiff, but I don't notice it being hard to **** at higher rpms. I'm curious, just how high of rpms are you guys talking? Are you talking shiting at redline, or above 6000 rpm? I'm generally shifting at just under 6000 even under heavy acceleration (which I don't get to do all to often in the first place).

?? VIN 1366
Old 11-04-2002, 12:31 AM
InternetABYSS

I dont wanna tick any of you off and get nna pissed at me for telling you this....BUT

I read all your issues and guess what it was the same thing I had and it only got worse...As it got worse it went from hard to put in gear at high rmps, to misshifting, to grinding.....

The clutch may not be set correctly on your cars...the measurements of clutch throw/pedal/plate are not in spec. (this is based on my issue and have it reported and documented)

My new tranny takes high rpm shifts very easily...it says stick me in instead of my old tranny saying NOOOO dont put that there.

My clutch now pushes about midway or higher instead of almost at the floor very low.

It seems that nissan has fixed the errors on later cars....Im sure someone caught the problem and fixed it.

But for us early VINS or in this VIN BATCH....my bet is that once it starts grinding constantly they will have to deal with you at the dealership.

I dont condone abusing your cars....BUT

REMEMBER what happened to me??? I had the same minor issues as you do...and the way I babied it im sure my car would be in the same boat as yours...but once someone (not naming names) dog the crap out of it....my car was grinding like crazy and after 2weeks of ownership...its hard for a dealership to not see it as a defect.

I guess the dealership (111mile) test drive helped me a bunch....because now im fixed up.

*MY LUCK case in point......I have something very bad happen to me....but then it turns into a very good thing....damn my life is weird this happens all the freaking time)

LOL....The devil laughs at my misery he puts me in then God says hes had enough and tosses this dog a bone. woof woof

Last edited by InternetABYSS; 11-04-2002 at 12:35 AM.
Old 11-04-2002, 04:08 AM
VandyZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok even though I said I would not post my vin, I have 153. I cant say that I have these problems. I drive the car on the sporty side but have never had these problems. The clutch catches closer to the middle then to the floor and I usually shift between 4500 and 6500 RPM (closer to 6500 most of the time, hehe). I can chirp the tires and everything with the perfect shift and throttle control. I am worried that all you guys problems may happen to me so what do I do. I am used to my mustang which was very hard to not grind gears in. So any thing is better than that. I wonder if I am just not seeing the problems because of that reason. Anyway my vin is very low so maybe mine was checked out by nissan 2 and 3 times over being that is is very low. I wish one of you could drive my car and see for me, oh well.

Quick Reply: POST Here to see which VIN's have Tranny issues.