Notices
Media Share Z Related Photos and Video

One Sweet Z!!! 350hp Na...

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 06:07 AM
taurran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RBlover69
Thats good in all but ur telling me that a turbo car will have the consitancy and match throttle responce as a High REv NA motor. Putting out the exact same hp. And are u telling me that a tuned NA motor or stock NA motor putting out the same hp as a FI tuned or stock FI car will be just as reliable and consistant on the track in all temps. lol.
Don't put words in my post.

I never said anything about "putting out the exact same hp", because that's impossible on a well built/tuned setup. The FI motor will always be making more power unless it is detuned or the boost is lowered.

The day an NA/non-sprayed/non-stroked VQ35 makes 400whp I'll bend over and kiss my own ***.

Im not a NA fanboy at all i love TTs i plan on getting my Z to that point aswell eventually. But Cmon man. Facts are facts. I love TT cars but is stand by my statement.
What facts? You haven't presented any thus far.

And yes the cost effectiveness is something that i def agree on but to me , i would give more props to companies like amuse who get into the guts of the VQ then just FI the motor with a build. To me the ladder goes to the tuning involved in creating NA power.
I already said its just as hard to build a 350hp NA VQ35 as it is to build a high hp FI VQ35. But, if you don't think it takes a lot of custom modification, tuning and DRIVETRAIN work to build a 600+hp Z then you need to do more research. Motors making that kind of power have some serious internal and headwork modification as well.

Also u say the trick is to keep in in boost , as i epirenced when i used to brake boost my friends evo, but see theres no trick to a NA machine its raw. Theres nothing like raw engine power to me.
Once again you're comparign a 2.0l 4 cyl motor to a 3.5l V6. With a TT setup built for quick spool (JWT, PETT), there is no percievable lag. If you can't adjust to that then you really have no business boosting the car anyway.

And your incorrect for saying A FI motor wont detonate cause i mean cmon, thats rediculous, A tuned FI VQ shouldnt detonate
You just totally contradicted yourself. I also stated that a PROPERLY TUNED FI vq35 won't detonate. If you have a bad or mismatched tune and drive it aggressively there is always the chance of that. BUT, on a high compression custom built NA motor, you also run into a much larger chance of detonation than the stock VQ35. With a bad tune on a highly modified NA car you're also likely to detonate and/or blow the motor without the proper precautions.

It's all in the tune. And, once again, you're incorrect.

but there are more variables involved in maintaining a FI vehicle then A NA vehicle
Lets see... change oil more often... retune or get custom maps for climate changes... I'm failing to see where "more variables in maintaining" comes into play.

Like I said, on a high power modified NA car you're going to be running into maintenance and downtime as well.

and , i just dont see ur validity that a fully built NA motor isnt more reliable then a built FI motor. Down the line when the care has X miles on it , your telling me that its reliability would be on par and performance wise. Im asking you about that one ???
So now its reliability? Good job changing the subject. Try reading my post again and tell me if you see the word "reliability" in it.

Besides, on ANY highly modified car, NA or FI, you're going to run into issues that need to be addressed. Longevity totally depends on the tune, how well the car is maintained, and the driving habits of the owner. A well built turbocharged motor and ball bearing or water cooled/dual ball bearing turbos can last 100k+ with proper upkeep. The same can be said for the NA motor , BUT in both cases it is totally dependent on the owner.

A big difference in the two setups is that on the turbocharged motor you can simply lower boost for daily driving purposes and put less wear and tear on the engine. With an NA motor your only options are to detune, run multiple maps, and hope for the best.
Old 11-16-2006, 06:22 AM
THE TECH

^^ Nuff said!
Old 11-16-2006, 07:35 AM
RBlover69

Originally Posted by taurran
Don't put words in my post.

I never said anything about "putting out the exact same hp", because that's impossible on a well built/tuned setup. The FI motor will always be making more power unless it is detuned or the boost is lowered.

The day an NA/non-sprayed/non-stroked VQ35 makes 400whp I'll bend over and kiss my own ***.

What facts? You haven't presented any thus far.

I already said its just as hard to build a 350hp NA VQ35 as it is to build a high hp FI VQ35. But, if you don't think it takes a lot of custom modification, tuning and DRIVETRAIN work to build a 600+hp Z then you need to do more research. Motors making that kind of power have some serious internal and headwork modification as well.

Once again you're comparign a 2.0l 4 cyl motor to a 3.5l V6. With a TT setup built for quick spool (JWT, PETT), there is no percievable lag. If you can't adjust to that then you really have no business boosting the car anyway.

You just totally contradicted yourself. I also stated that a PROPERLY TUNED FI vq35 won't detonate. If you have a bad or mismatched tune and drive it aggressively there is always the chance of that. BUT, on a high compression custom built NA motor, you also run into a much larger chance of detonation than the stock VQ35. With a bad tune on a highly modified NA car you're also likely to detonate and/or blow the motor without the proper precautions.

It's all in the tune. And, once again, you're incorrect.

Lets see... change oil more often... retune or get custom maps for climate changes... I'm failing to see where "more variables in maintaining" comes into play.

Like I said, on a high power modified NA car you're going to be running into maintenance and downtime as well.

So now its reliability? Good job changing the subject. Try reading my post again and tell me if you see the word "reliability" in it.

Besides, on ANY highly modified car, NA or FI, you're going to run into issues that need to be addressed. Longevity totally depends on the tune, how well the car is maintained, and the driving habits of the owner. A well built turbocharged motor and ball bearing or water cooled/dual ball bearing turbos can last 100k+ with proper upkeep. The same can be said for the NA motor , BUT in both cases it is totally dependent on the owner.

A big difference in the two setups is that on the turbocharged motor you can simply lower boost for daily driving purposes and put less wear and tear on the engine. With an NA motor your only options are to detune, run multiple maps, and hope for the best.
1)first off i said putting out the same hp as i stated before.
2)second i never said u can make more power NA with the VQ that would be obsured i said equal powers i believe that track wise consitantly i believe a NA car same hp will be more consistant and a better vaible solution then a FI car. Thats my opinion > Heat soak (turbos) etc are things that i see on the track that reduce consistancy. Thats my point.
3)Third Any engine can detonate i just stated with a FI vehicle the chances for a engine mishap in my opinion would be increased due to more variable for something to leak and go wrong. Are u arguing that?
4) My comparisons are just for turbo references as , u can also brake boost a FI z aswell right, and i do believe JWT is the best turbo option for the Z. But lets say once again that a 500rwhp NA z and a 500rwhp TT z are on the same track and ran at temps of a normal florida summer 90 + do u think that the engine performance efficiency would be exactly the same thus being equal on both platforms.??
5)And reliablility , um yea thats one of the most important things of building a car right. Why would u create something that isnt reliable? i stated that becasue reliability track wise of the setups and overall , to me is gonna benefit the NA version of the vehicle in general. in terms of lesser chances of leaks , heat, ECU variables, Wear , tear. Again, theres risk in any moddifiying with a car u gotta pay to play but do u understand my point??
6) Also as a general question to u. Do u beleive that given equal circumstances, and equal HP wise that a TT vehicle will have the exact same throttle response and instant power 100% as a NA counter part around a track?
DOnt get me wrong with the Z TT is the way to go anyone in there right mind would see that , but if we were able to get a viable solution for reaching power levels NA similar to a basic rich tuned FI Z within a reasonable price range. Do u believe that the FI route would still be the most popualr route. Purely a question?

Last edited by RBlover69; 11-16-2006 at 07:42 AM.
Old 11-16-2006, 07:45 AM
taurran

500rwhp NA z and a 500rwhp TT
So what is the name of this dream world you're living in?

Anyway, I'll respond to your post tonight. I've gotta run for now. See ya.
Old 11-16-2006, 07:50 AM
MIAPLAYA

1)first off i said putting out the same hp as i stated before.
2)second i never said u can make more power NA with the VQ that would be obsured i said equal powers i believe that track wise consitantly i believe a NA car same hp will be more consistant and a better vaible solution then a FI car. Thats my opinion > Heat soak (turbos) etc are things that i see on the track that reduce consistancy. Thats my point.
3)Third Any engine can detonate i just stated with a FI vehicle the chances for a engine mishap in my opinion would be increased due to more variable for something to leak and go wrong. Are u arguing that?
4) My comparisons are just for turbo references as , u can also brake boost a FI z aswell right, and i do believe JWT is the best turbo option for the Z. But lets say once again that a 500rwhp NA z and a 500rwhp TT z are on the same track and ran at temps of a normal florida summer 90 + do u think that the engine performance efficiency would be exactly the same thus being equal on both platforms.??
5)And reliablility , um yea thats one of the most important things of building a car right. Why would u create something that isnt reliable? i stated that becasue reliability track wise of the setups and overall , to me is gonna benefit the NA version of the vehicle in general. in terms of lesser chances of leaks , heat, ECU variables, Wear , tear. Again, theres risk in any moddifiying with a car u gotta pay to play but do u understand my point??
6) Also as a general question to u. Do u beleive that given equal circumstances, and equal HP wise that a TT vehicle will have the exact same throttle response and instant power 100% as a NA counter part around a track?
DOnt get me wrong with the Z TT is the way to go anyone in there right mind would see that , but if we were able to get a viable solution for reaching power levels NA similar to a basic rich tuned FI Z within a reasonable price range. Do u believe that the FI route would still be the most popualr route. Purely a question?
I think I can sum this up with one post. How many turbocharged 350Z track cars do you or have you owned? How often do you road race a 350 WHP N/A Z against a turbocharged 350Z? If you can't answer either of these your posts are useless. I assure you if you set up a 350 WHP N/A Z you are going to get plenty of credit. But thats never going to happen. And as an FYI I can't think of one forced induction kit that makes 350WHP or less at the wheels aside from the Stillen kit. I can bolt on any turbo kit on the market and make 380 WHP with a safe tune ALL DAY LONG. And jsut for reference I HAVE run my turbo Z at the track several times. With over 50k miles on my car and still on the stock motor your reliability argument is a load of crap. Furthermore I have never heat soaked my car at the track sooner then any N/A Z I have ever run with. When you have actually done the things you are guessing about then perhaps you can come back and show us imperical proof of your statements. Until then you are just another person who talks about turbo lag and turbo issues but don't own one.
Old 11-16-2006, 08:02 AM
RBlover69

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
I think I can sum this up with one post. How many turbocharged 350Z track cars do you or have you owned? How often do you road race a 350 WHP N/A Z against a turbocharged 350Z? If you can't answer either of these your posts are useless. I assure you if you set up a 350 WHP N/A Z you are going to get plenty of credit. But thats never going to happen. And as an FYI I can't think of one forced induction kit that makes 350WHP or less at the wheels aside from the Stillen kit. I can bolt on any turbo kit on the market and make 380 WHP with a safe tune ALL DAY LONG. And jsut for reference I HAVE run my turbo Z at the track several times. With over 50k miles on my car and still on the stock motor your reliability argument is a load of crap. Furthermore I have never heat soaked my car at the track sooner then any N/A Z I have ever run with. When you have actually done the things you are guessing about then perhaps you can come back and show us imperical proof of your statements. Until then you are just another person who talks about turbo lag and turbo issues but don't own one.
Its my opinion, i mean what r u gonna do sue me lol. I been to pocono, actually might take my Z to the next level if my morgage goes through.Theres alot involved with actually getting invovled with racing manly money lmao. but i would love to do so. And what u dont understand to me is though i love FI cars. I for some reason gravitate more to awwwing over a lopey cammed high compression built NA motor. lol. U gonna bust my ***** for liking and having a opinion over something that i chose to like lol. TO me i been to alot or Road Races talk to alot of the guys at them aswell ...hey in jan if ur down im going to see the playboy.unitech Z run at daytona lol. (didnt check ur local lol) but companies like amuse etc. To me deserve a higher level of credit then just a boost app . Everyone i was asked that races always states that boost is amazing but a high NA vehicle is more trackable for consitancy. What r u gonna do kill me for choosing this route aswell. lol. Yea well probaly never see a High Hp NA VQ in the states. But i still stand behind my preference, if the VQ modded in a respecatble price range was able to produce 350rwhp +/- i believe that it would be more viable then a boost app at the same hp levels .
And dude since theres no NA app possible right now thats affordable for the Z of course i myself are going Greddy when i get my suspension done. But u cant hate on me wishing that we had a stronger NA following , becasue to me NA for consitancy around the track is second to none .( my opinion ) lo l relax. god u guys talk with ur blowers lol.jk all love we all drive Zs right lol

Last edited by RBlover69; 11-16-2006 at 08:12 AM.
Old 11-16-2006, 08:17 AM
MIAPLAYA

Its my opinion, i mean what r u gonna do sue me lol. I been to pocono, actually might take my Z to the next level if my morgage goes through.Theres alot involved with actually getting invovled with racing manly money lmao. but i would love to do so. And what u dont understand to me is though i love FI cars. I for some reason gravitate more to awwwing over a lopey cammed high compression built NA motor. lol. U gonna bust my ***** for liking and having a opinion over something that i chose to like lol. TO me i been to alot or Road Races talk to alot of the guys at them aswell ...hey in jan if ur down im going to see the playboy.unitech Z run at daytona lol. (didnt check ur local lol) but companies like amuse etc. To me deserve a higher level of credit then just a boost app . Everyone i was asked that races always states that boost is amazing but a high NA vehicle is more trackable for consitancy. What r u gonna do kill me for choosing this route aswell. lol. Yea well probaly never see a High Hp VQ in the states. But i still stand behind my preference, if the VQ modded in a respecatble price range was able to produce 350rwhp +/- i believe that it would be more viable then a boost app at the same hp levels .
And dude since theres no NA app possible right now thats affordable for the Z of course i myself are going Greddy when i get my suspension done. But u cant hate on me wishing that we had a stronger NA following , becasue to me NA for consitancy around the track is second to none .( my opinion ) lo l relax. god u guys talk with ur blowers lol.jk all love we all drive Zs right lol
N/A for consistency? Are you kidding me? Any driver with half an ounce of skill can be consistent in any car. Are you now going to tell me the JGTC GT500 turbocharged race cars are incosistent and unreliable on a race course? I personalyl don't care what you choose. And your opinoin is absolutely yours. What I don't agree with is you posting random, misleading, and completely false facts about turbocharged cars in a road race arena. You have been to a lot of road races but have you driven in any of them? A properlly setup turbocharged car is just as consistent and reliable as any N/A car. And lets step into reality for a minute. It costs $30k+ to build an N/A in the 350WHP range. For under $7k I have a turbocharged car that makes more hp and tq. And if you put the same driver in both cars I assure you that he isn't going to tell you the N/A car was more consistent. Consistency lies more with the driver of the car then the car itself. In the end if Amuse really has 350 WHP on an N/A motor I do give them credit. But your posts are so off base and include very little "giving credit" and a whole lot of assumptions about turbo cars and their consistency. Again if you don't own a turbo Z that you track why are you giving people data on how they perform? Your basically posting facts with ZERO experience and ZERO clue of what a turbo z can really do.
Old 11-16-2006, 08:55 AM
RBlover69

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
N/A for consistency? Are you kidding me? Any driver with half an ounce of skill can be consistent in any car. Are you now going to tell me the JGTC GT500 turbocharged race cars are incosistent and unreliable on a race course? I personalyl don't care what you choose. And your opinoin is absolutely yours. What I don't agree with is you posting random, misleading, and completely false facts about turbocharged cars in a road race arena. You have been to a lot of road races but have you driven in any of them? A properlly setup turbocharged car is just as consistent and reliable as any N/A car. And lets step into reality for a minute. It costs $30k+ to build an N/A in the 350WHP range. For under $7k I have a turbocharged car that makes more hp and tq. And if you put the same driver in both cars I assure you that he isn't going to tell you the N/A car was more consistent. Consistency lies more with the driver of the car then the car itself. In the end if Amuse really has 350 WHP on an N/A motor I do give them credit. But your posts are so off base and include very little "giving credit" and a whole lot of assumptions about turbo cars and their consistency. Again if you don't own a turbo Z that you track why are you giving people data on how they perform? Your basically posting facts with ZERO experience and ZERO clue of what a turbo z can really do.
well, its not to be taken to the butt, its a learning expirnce right? i doubt everything taken here its factual and researched to the point of validity. JGTC is a diff arena completly but i do understand ur point. I just havent seen it for myself. This is my personal expirence. You or anyone do not know everything there is to know about our apps. So u have to apply what u know and prove how your opinion works. Im stating my knowledge and if i am wrong. Prove it. And i learn. but thats just my opinion of what i knw and prefer. lol. Boy its so funny how some get offended lmao.
Old 11-16-2006, 09:10 AM
kwiker
Shift_Dorifto

i can't figure out if they are talking about crank hp or wheel hp...i'm thinking crank, but if it is wheel that would be nice.

Are those doors and the hatch the seibon or did amuse rank some out? I would hate to see what Amuse would charge for carbon doors and hatch. Ouch.

Anywho, i have been toying with the idea of bumping the compression and stroking the motor...heads and cams of course...but then when you price it out...turbo is a lot cheaper...and for those of you that don't like the lag...just throw a 35shot on it...not that there is much lag on a TT setup to begin with, but that little whiff of juice will surely do away with lag.

edit...you can setup the shot on a timer so that it will just spray for half a sec or a full sec just to get through the lag.

Last edited by kwiker; 11-16-2006 at 09:12 AM.
Old 11-16-2006, 09:17 AM
Motormouth
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

GOD DMAN< this thread has nothing to do with NA vs FI!!! lay off RB...

turbos are great, NA is great. nuff said. there really needs to be no argument for the sake of arguement, you cannot deny the hp per $ of a FI is vastly superior (in most cases) to a equivalent NA setup.
Old 11-16-2006, 09:19 AM
Steve-O Z33

Screw the debating, I like the car! I wish I could just get 300 WHP. That'd make me smile. I've always liked the Amuse front too. It's a lot like stock, so why not? The "bumper light holes" are just bigger.
Old 11-16-2006, 09:22 AM
EM-EFER

Just so you guys know its 350 at the crank. NOT WHEEL
Old 11-16-2006, 09:29 AM
350Z_LEE

Group hug
Old 11-16-2006, 10:09 AM
RBlover69

Originally Posted by Motormouth
GOD DMAN< this thread has nothing to do with NA vs FI!!! lay off RB...

turbos are great, NA is great. nuff said. there really needs to be no argument for the sake of arguement, you cannot deny the hp per $ of a FI is vastly superior (in most cases) to a equivalent NA setup.
true lol im at work, its sometimes intresting to here the vast opinons of the forum ya knw , but much respect. lol BTW has anyone reached the rwhp capacity that amuse has or are they the only ones at the acclaimed 350hp. Damn i wonder wat that amuse ECU has in it or its capabilities are.They said there is more room for imporvement also ??? Damn. Not even the espirt Z comapred to the trottle response of the AMuse Z lol. Damn
Old 11-16-2006, 10:36 AM
kwiker
Shift_Dorifto

O, i just had time to really read the entire thread...Amuse does appear to make their own carbon parts, but it will cost about the same as buying another Z. (exaggerating a little, but still)

I wish i could afford to "carbonate" my car, i would paint it just like that. Leave the inside bare and paint the outside.
Old 11-16-2006, 10:52 AM
kwiker
Shift_Dorifto

Originally Posted by JCZ33
TRY this one at the 16 minute mark...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...=skyline&hl=en

The Pikes Peak Z is in that vid, and it makes me feel good inside...i want one.
Old 11-16-2006, 11:38 AM
Mc556

I was just kinda laughing at the lack of understanding of a truly high Hp N/A motor. I'm not trying to pick on anyone but for the guys that are dreaming of a 350whp-400whp VQ let me point out a few things. To make that kinda power you have to increase the VE (Volumetric Efficiency ) of the motor. With FI you can increase the density of the charge via pressure (over 14.7 psi) With a N/A motor you have to work with what you got so to speak. Without increaseing displacement you can only make it more efficent. How do you do that.. HUGE cams(horrible idle) Big Ported heads big valves(big $$$ and really your increasing dispalcement) Ultra high compression and advanced timeing( Race fuel only C-16 is what about $8 per gal) You still have to have a great tune just like a FI motor. Woops forgot with those cams makeing power so high up in the power band you wouldn't want a 6,700 rev limit I guess when you get those heads done better get some springs and retainers ,billet crank(worked over stock one would work) some rods, pistons and a great blue print and balance done. At that point if the motor is down why in the world after spending that kinda money would you not go with a larger bore and hell you might just go ahead and get it sleeved.

I'm not going to add it up but it's going to cost big money to build something that is in the end going to get it's *** handed to it. 3.5L +400whp=$$$
I hate to say it but a Z06 is what your looking for it will probley cost less in the end.
At the end of the day it's just a big air pump. You can free up choke points somewhat to make better use of what you have which is 3.5L at 14.7psi SAC. Or you can force feed the extra air you need for a denser charge. Sorry guys Nissan did a pretty damn good job from the factory and extra power N/A wouln't be cheap. And one last thing you can bet your *** that when it comes to makeing power vs displacement we in the USA own everyone elses ***.
Don't agree? 500ci and 8000whp 0-100 in .8sec I think that will top the mighty supra
Old 11-16-2006, 11:41 AM
RBlover69

Originally Posted by Mc556
I was just kinda laughing at the lack of understanding of a truly high Hp N/A motor. I'm not trying to pick on anyone but for the guys that are dreaming of a 350whp-400whp VQ let me point out a few things. To make that kinda power you have to increase the VE (Volumetric Efficiency ) of the motor. With FI you can increase the density of the charge via pressure (over 14.7 psi) With a N/A motor you have to work with what you got so to speak. Without increaseing displacement you can only make it more efficent. How do you do that.. HUGE cams(horrible idle) Big Ported heads big valves(big $$$ and really your increasing dispalcement) Ultra high compression and advanced timeing( Race fuel only C-16 is what about $8 per gal) You still have to have a great tune just like a FI motor. Woops forgot with those cams makeing power so high up in the power band you wouldn't want a 6,700 rev limit I guess when you get those heads done better get some springs and retainers ,billet crank(worked over stock one would work) some rods, pistons and a great blue print and balance done. At that point if the motor is down why in the world after spending that kinda money would you not go with a larger bore and hell you might just go ahead and get it sleeved.

I'm not going to add it up but it's going to cost big money to build something that is in the end going to get it's *** handed to it. 3.5L +400whp=$$$
I hate to say it but a Z06 is what your looking for it will probley cost less in the end.
At the end of the day it's just a big air pump. You can free up choke points somewhat to make better use of what you have which is 3.5L at 14.7psi SAC. Or you can force feed the extra air you need for a denser charge. Sorry guys Nissan did a pretty damn good job from the factory and extra power N/A wouln't be cheap. And one last thing you can bet your *** that when it comes to makeing power vs displacement we in the USA own everyone elses ***.
Don't agree? 500ci and 8000whp 0-100 in .8sec I think that will top the mighty supra
yea, i agree it was more if we could in controlled terms then reality . the VQ NA is preety tuned for what it is . preety amazing that our v6 performs better then alot of V8s for that matter. Its a great engine im curious to see what comes out of the HR. Im jsut a sucker to cammed stroked NA motors then. I wasnt getting indepth just hypotheticallly speaking. Just from what i learned from Road race and track time. Which ...i def need more time to undestand lol. but inside no matter if i FI my Z i will admire the amuse Z .lol
I guess my NA days will stay buried with good ol reliable Camaro SS lol.

Last edited by RBlover69; 11-16-2006 at 11:47 AM.
Old 11-16-2006, 12:01 PM
Winchm60

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Not too bad looking
Old 11-16-2006, 12:10 PM
kwiker
Shift_Dorifto

Titan 5l v6 swap...barely fit or possibly doesn't really "fit" but you have the cubes to potentially make power.

edit...still get beat by turbo cars off the track.

Quick Reply: One Sweet Z!!! 350hp Na...