Notices
Media Share Z Related Photos and Video

picture quality question

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007 | 07:49 PM
joe645733

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default picture quality question

hey guys, im pretty sure im in the right section, but i forgot what u can save ur pics under to keep the quality perfect right out of the digi cam.

i have a new sony 7.2 MG camera.

anddd sometimes when i put them on my pc, then load them, they get kinda pixely after saving them or somethin. or the quality isnt as perfect.

anyone have any tips? programs to load the pics on? or format save?

thanks guys
Old 06-28-2007 | 11:41 PM
emulzhn

real precious images,use ".tiff". but for most uses..."jpg" will suffice.

tiff will allow you to alter images without degrading effects. "minimal alteration can be done on jpgs without seeing some type image degradation.

for the web, use gif's for fast downloads...
but if you must display HI RES images of your Z,...use jpg

fix it on tiff but final convert it to a jpg...
Old 06-28-2007 | 11:46 PM
Elohite

do you need 3 threads? noob
Old 06-29-2007 | 01:08 AM
ctzn
inquisative
Premier Member

Just a suggestion when loading the pics...

Use a card reader instead of a cable, sometimes the cable will automatically adjust the pics thus loosing quality. Whereas using a card reader will keep the integrity of file as shot.

Save the images as .jpg with the quality setting to 'large file' keeping in mind that the higher quality you save the file the large the size it will be = longer load times.
Old 07-02-2007 | 10:40 PM
joe645733

k, here's the pic saved under .tiff

but thats the best quality im gonna get out of it huh.
is there a program to enhance the quality or just straight from the camera?

but for example:

on this pic, focus is obviously used and all. but is there any way i can get my 7.2 MG to focus like that??? or do i need those big cameras haha
Old 07-02-2007 | 10:45 PM
FALLEN1z

Originally Posted by joe645733

k, here's the pic saved under .tiff

but thats the best quality im gonna get out of it huh.
is there a program to enhance the quality or just straight from the camera?

but for example:

on this pic, focus is obviously used and all. but is there any way i can get my 7.2 MG to focus like that??? or do i need those big cameras haha

the only way you can do that on yours is if you have manual overrides for aperture and shutter speed. what that pic is an example of is depth of field. to get that real sharp focus in the front and blurred in the back is by setting the aperture to a physically small hole (larger number). also the manual focus must be used in most cases. the three things that will determine how clear the focal point is and how blured everything else is is focal length (how zoomed in you are), actual distance from lense to object, and the aperture. to get a really blurred background like that you generally need to be pretty close to your focus point with a good amount of zoom combined with the small physical size ((large number) aperture.
Old 07-02-2007 | 10:46 PM
joe645733

on my pic up above, the camera automatically grabs everything in the pic.

and another example:

here is an image with a glow. and say if i try that effect in microsoft digital image pro 9. it loses its quality alooot. gets comepletley pixely or somethin. but if u guys have anything to say just plz lemme know. any easy programs or anything with the camera. thanks guys
Old 07-02-2007 | 11:09 PM
FALLEN1z

on my pic up above, the camera automatically grabs everything in the pic.

and another example:

here is an image with a glow. and say if i try that effect in microsoft digital image pro 9. it loses its quality alooot. gets comepletley pixely or somethin. but if u guys have anything to say just plz lemme know. any easy programs or anything with the camera. thanks guys
if the camera is on full auto mode it will grab everything because it has no idea what look you're going for. see if you have a dial or something on the camera that says either M, A, S...... M stands for full manual where you can adjust aperture and shutter speed, A is where you adjust aperture and it automatically adjusts shutter speed, and S is where you adjust shutter speed and it automatically adjusts aperture. you'll need to play with these to get the differant effects. otherwise, the camera will continue to grab everything. playing with A is probably the easiest way to do what your trying to. as far as digital imaging software goes i'd go for photoshop, it really is the champion comapred to the others
Old 07-03-2007 | 07:52 PM
joe645733

Originally Posted by FALLEN1z
if the camera is on full auto mode it will grab everything because it has no idea what look you're going for. see if you have a dial or something on the camera that says either M, A, S...... M stands for full manual where you can adjust aperture and shutter speed, A is where you adjust aperture and it automatically adjusts shutter speed, and S is where you adjust shutter speed and it automatically adjusts aperture. you'll need to play with these to get the differant effects. otherwise, the camera will continue to grab everything. playing with A is probably the easiest way to do what your trying to. as far as digital imaging software goes i'd go for photoshop, it really is the champion comapred to the others
hey dude thanks, yeah ive always known about the auto focus stuff. i know i can take that off. but i dont know how detailed u mean about *adjusting* the picture before taking it. like, say on a manual focus, will it know what i want to get? u know? but im guessing it will grab the biggest image like it has that box around things on auto. thank u
Old 07-04-2007 | 10:00 AM
FALLEN1z

hey dude thanks, yeah ive always known about the auto focus stuff. i know i can take that off. but i dont know how detailed u mean about *adjusting* the picture before taking it. like, say on a manual focus, will it know what i want to get? u know? but im guessing it will grab the biggest image like it has that box around things on auto. thank u
the camera is a very stupid machine, it never has any idea what you want to do, that's y u need to set it how you want it. with the manual focus, you set the camera's focus where you want it, if you want to make the ic look like the one that's sharp in the foreground and blurred in the background, do what i described in my other post, and if you want it focused in another place, play with the focus until what you want to be sharp is in sharp focus. if you dont play with the aperture, it probably will do exactly what it would in auto mode, but if you set the aperture then you will be incapable of making the whole pic in focus, it will only be able to focus on a certain part of the pic, that's when you use the manual focus to pic what you want to be sharp. the only way to get pictures exactly how you want them is to play with things like ISO, shutter speed, aperture, and focus. it takes a while to learn how to manipulate things to get the results that you want, but if you want to take really unique pictures then it's the best way to go. here's an example....

note: the smaller the physical size of the aperature, the smaller amount of the object will be in focus.

pic: zoomed in a lot, small physical aperture (large number), lense is about 8 inches away from the emblem
Attached Thumbnails picture quality question-aaa1.jpg  

Last edited by FALLEN1z; 07-04-2007 at 10:03 AM.
Old 07-04-2007 | 03:31 PM
joe645733

ahh ic.

hey i actually just found a pretty old minolta x-700 SLR camera in my closet. MINT condition. still has some plastic on it lol. im excited to try it out and i already got the hang of the whole focusing the item while everything is all blury. looks awsome.

but i have a question. say if i take the roll, and develop them and have the lady save it on a CD for me. im pretty sure it will lose some quality huh? cuz i want the pics on the PC.

but in the mean-time, ill try using the digital cam.
Old 07-04-2007 | 03:39 PM
FALLEN1z

ahh ic.

hey i actually just found a pretty old minolta x-700 SLR camera in my closet. MINT condition. still has some plastic on it lol. im excited to try it out and i already got the hang of the whole focusing the item while everything is all blury. looks awsome.

but i have a question. say if i take the roll, and develop them and have the lady save it on a CD for me. im pretty sure it will lose some quality huh? cuz i want the pics on the PC.

but in the mean-time, ill try using the digital cam.
it probably would lose some quality because with a completly non-digital file, they have to scan the image to get it into a digital format which would usually result in some quality loss
Old 07-04-2007 | 04:19 PM
MR_X

Also, MP rating is important but also need to take into consideration at what size will it keep that quality. For example:
A Canon XTi is rated at 6.1 mp but it will take better quality pics than your Sony set at the biggest sizes.
Old 07-04-2007 | 10:17 PM
joe645733

Originally Posted by MR_X
Also, MP rating is important but also need to take into consideration at what size will it keep that quality. For example:
A Canon XTi is rated at 6.1 mp but it will take better quality pics than your Sony set at the biggest sizes.
isnt that the rebel slr though?

u have the extended lense and that style of camera. has the whole manual focusing adjustment to it.

mines just a regular 7.2 cybershot. normal looking digi cam.
Old 07-05-2007 | 03:23 AM
gr?

Originally Posted by FALLEN1z
note: the smaller the physical size of the aperature, the smaller amount of the object will be in focus.

pic: zoomed in a lot, small physical aperture (large number), lense is about 8 inches away from the emblem
OP is probably using a point and shoot camera, which means most things will remain in focus regardless of how large an aperture is used or distance from out of focus object. the only way to get the blurred background with a p&s is via macro mode.
Old 07-05-2007 | 09:50 AM
gdup35sedan

Originally Posted by MR_X
Correction: the Canon XTi is a 10+ mp camera. The Canon XT even is an 8+ mp camera.
-GP-
Old 07-05-2007 | 10:19 AM
HyperSprite
Mad Scientist
Premier Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey guys, im pretty sure im in the right section, but i forgot what u can save ur pics under to keep the quality perfect right out of the digi cam.
i have a new sony 7.2 MG camera.
anddd sometimes when i put them on my pc, then load them, they get kinda pixely after saving them or somethin. or the quality isnt as perfect.
anyone have any tips? programs to load the pics on? or format save?
thanks guys
Just about any camera made by a reputable brand can take fine point and shoot shots. If they look good right out of the camera but then look trashed after you play with them, check your jpeg save settings. Chances are you are over compressing them and they are getting artifacts (pixely could be used to describe this).

Chris