Notices
Media Share Z Related Photos and Video

THE NEW Rota Boost on our Z!!! (Gold & Hyper Black)

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 12:36 PM
Rickdogg
Out of hiatus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AlvinHuyN

Let's just say that people will judge you base on what you purchase, and as simply put, if you want to "look" good, you might want to start looking good in people's mind and not just through the eyes:

Quote from someone comparing my car with another Evo.
I don't think that it really matters about what other people think based on just looks or what you purchase per say. However, the main point is the ethical part of the business practices that people seem to be so dumbfounded about...wondering why people don't cut resellers of replica items much slack. The other main point I was also referencing was the fact of how some people's actions cause problems for others which is not right.
Old 03-17-2009, 06:45 PM
MethodRN
For Sale

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rickdogg
I think most of us understand that Wheeldude is just trying to make a living. However, when the income is coming from a company such as Rota that blatantly steals ideas/designs from other companies for their own profit, the concept of trying to make an "honest living" sort of goes right out the window. Reference a basic list of how much "stealing" Rota does below. This is not the case of Robin Hood here guys. Making an honest living is one thing, but when it involves indirectly stealing from others, there naturally is not much sympathy in people's hearts. I believe the people bashing his business practices would find another product to sell or do something else to make an "honest living" if they were in his shoes.

The truth of the matter though is during economic times like this, inferior goods (economics term not that the product is completely horrible) tend to sell really well. Good examples would be Coca-cola vs. store brand cola etc. Couple that with the fact that the owners of 350z's are getting younger by the day due to the price drop on the vehicles and it's just a recipe for lower quality products being thrown on similar to the kids over at honda-tech. I'm sure replica companies sales are doing just fine if not better than before during this recession and with the influx of young blood in the 350z community. Either way, money talks and bs walks which is why the forum allows this to go on. If wheeldude pays his vendor fees, that's all they care about with all ethical issues aside. That is a whole entire topic aside from this though.

Actual thread tags from this very thread:

Some "new" Rota products:

Well said brotha!

Also look at the cost of authentic parts. A main reason why authentic parts have become expensive, aside from the exchange rate, is the fact that manufacturers have to recoup their cost of R&D as well as make up for their loss of sales because of "knock-off" companies.

Some will argue the fact that every wheel company that has a mesh design knocked it off a BBS design. However, there are differences, as slight as they maybe. With Rota, they are blatantly stealing designs from companies like Advan, Work and Volk.

In the end, the community as a whole suffers when companies that put time and money into R&D go under because they can't compete with companies that are stealing their designs and selling them at a fraction of the cost because they do not have to recoup capital that was invested into R&D.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:26 PM
costilla

Yeah the 350z is becoming cheaper every year for used ones. Someone goes to the used carlot and decides between a civic or 350z. What do you think that person will buy if he is in the hunt for speed? A 350. Well I do feel that the 350 is starting to become the civic and you know how many riced out civic's there are out The only thing that might keep people from buying one is the insurance
Old 03-18-2009, 05:24 PM
synth19

Well said. I put all of these comparisons and many more on my blog:

www.FakeWheels.com

Seems like there pretty much is a replica for everything!

Originally Posted by Rickdogg
I think most of us understand that Wheeldude is just trying to make a living. However, when the income is coming from a company such as Rota that blatantly steals ideas/designs from other companies for their own profit, the concept of trying to make an "honest living" sort of goes right out the window. Reference a basic list of how much "stealing" Rota does below. This is not the case of Robin Hood here guys. Making an honest living is one thing, but when it involves indirectly stealing from others, there naturally is not much sympathy in people's hearts. I believe the people bashing his business practices would find another product to sell or do something else to make an "honest living" if they were in his shoes.

The truth of the matter though is during economic times like this, inferior goods (economics term not that the product is completely horrible) tend to sell really well. Good examples would be Coca-cola vs. store brand cola etc. Couple that with the fact that the owners of 350z's are getting younger by the day due to the price drop on the vehicles and it's just a recipe for lower quality products being thrown on similar to the kids over at honda-tech. I'm sure replica companies sales are doing just fine if not better than before during this recession and with the influx of young blood in the 350z community. Either way, money talks and bs walks which is why the forum allows this to go on. If wheeldude pays his vendor fees, that's all they care about with all ethical issues aside. That is a whole entire topic aside from this though.

Actual thread tags from this very thread:

Some "new" Rota products:
Old 03-18-2009, 06:32 PM
dan avoN7

Originally Posted by synth19
Well said. I put all of these comparisons and many more on my blog:
www.FakeWheels.com
Seems like there pretty much is a replica for everything!
I just read through your blog and it's a complete joke

you do realize Rays made these wheels for Axis right? They aren't replica's..
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c1...s/IMGP1322.jpg
http://fakewheels.com/2009/03/gram-l...-axis-circuit/

these wheels don't even look similar
http://fakewheels.com/2009/03/volk-g...-adr-sokudo10/

I stopped after the first few entries, didn't want to waste my time reading anymore garbage
Old 03-18-2009, 06:48 PM
68Stang

Maybe the prices charged by the boutique wheel brands have created the 'knock-off' market.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:50 PM
MethodRN
For Sale

Originally Posted by dan avoN7

I stopped after the first few entries, didn't want to waste my time reading anymore garbage
I've actually seen both the ADR and Volk up close and the Sokudo is a REPLICA. I think that picture just hides the similarity because the ADR is white and you can't see the details.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:18 PM
synth19

Here's anothe pic of the sokudo10:

http://www.fakewheels.com/images/ADR-sokudo-10.jpg

It's an exact replica. The white version i posted hides the details due to color and proportion.

Last edited by synth19; 03-18-2009 at 07:48 PM.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:22 PM
synth19

you do realize Rays made these wheels for Axis right? They aren't replica's..
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c1...s/IMGP1322.jpg
http://fakewheels.com/2009/03/gram-l...-axis-circuit/
Correct. Updated the post.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:23 PM
synth19

Originally Posted by MethodRN
I've actually seen both the ADR and Volk up close and the Sokudo is a REPLICA. I think that picture just hides the similarity because the ADR is white and you can't see the details.
Werd. I think I will change the image to make it easier to distinguish for ppl.
Old 03-19-2009, 03:02 PM
TSG-Z

Originally Posted by 68Stang
Maybe the prices charged by the boutique wheel brands have created the 'knock-off' market.
Although I have Volks, I do have to raise the flag on the "reason" prices are so high is due to R/D! It cant be that much R/D going on to charge for some of those pieces to include CF.
Old 03-19-2009, 03:10 PM
dan avoN7

Originally Posted by TSG-Z
Although I have Volks, I do have to raise the flag on the "reason" prices are so high is due to R/D! It cant be that much R/D going on to charge for some of those pieces to include CF.
It's not all R/D.. The same Volk's I purchased in 2005 are now $800 more for the full set. In 2008 they increased MSRP $100 per wheel and again in 2009 they increased MSRP $100 per wheel. I'm sure this is mostly to due with the US dollar changing but it's getting to be too rich for my blood. After bending my Volk wheels I've now ran Rota's for the last few years and have been very happy with their quality and performance.
Old 03-19-2009, 04:05 PM
MethodRN
For Sale

Do you have pics of these bent Volk wheels?
Old 03-19-2009, 06:27 PM
dan avoN7

Originally Posted by MethodRN
Do you have pics of these bent Volk wheels?
PM sent with pictures, not going to post full size pictures and ruin this thread (like the guy above hasn't already.. )
Old 03-19-2009, 06:51 PM
Rickdogg
Out of hiatus

Originally Posted by TSG-Z
There are a lot of other costs to running a business. Marketing, sponsorships, R & D, overhead, innovation of NEW products (not leach off of and copy others), etc. are all a reality for a business of that magnitude. Reserves for all of these types of business ventures have to be present in order for a company to continue doing business. Unless everyone is happy with Mackin strictly making TE37's for the next 50 years. On the flip side, all replicas companies have to do is sit back and wait to copy products. That's why everyone loves the Chinese!

It's not all R/D.. The same Volk's I purchased in 2005 are now $800 more for the full set. In 2008 they increased MSRP $100 per wheel and again in 2009 they increased MSRP $100 per wheel. I'm sure this is mostly to due with the US dollar changing but it's getting to be too rich for my blood. After bending my Volk wheels I've now ran Rota's for the last few years and have been very happy with their quality and performance.
Good for you for being honest. It's just economics at work. The substitute good for an original wheel in this case is the replica. With the dollar's value dropping as of late, naturally price increases have to be imposed on imported goods. Unfortunately, that leads to consumers having to allocate their money to other things. It's too bad that it goes to design thieves. Either way, like I stated before. Money talks and BS walks. Ethics go right out the window for some people if it effects their pocket book. I'm not speaking of the customers here; i'm talking about vendors and forum owners that would rather see a dollar than actually follow a code of ethics that they impose on others in the TOU.

Last edited by Rickdogg; 03-19-2009 at 08:36 PM.
Old 03-19-2009, 07:27 PM
Hraesvelg
Got Uranium?

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

hate on Rota rip offs in my sig
Old 03-19-2009, 07:40 PM
ALO8

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dunno, i'm kinda starting to like rotas the more people hate on them. Just to give you sumthin to talk bout
Old 03-19-2009, 08:23 PM
Rickdogg
Out of hiatus

Originally Posted by Hraesvelg
hate on Rota rip offs in my sig
Old 03-19-2009, 08:47 PM
ttuberz
Banned

RICK i know what your saying and you got a good point but its a never ending discussion. If everyone could afford volks than you wouldn't be such a baller with yours lol. I stopped getting mad at replica or non authentic parts ppl put on z's. It's just another reason I would only get the real deal and be that much different from the rest. just my 2 cents.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:29 PM
Hraesvelg
Got Uranium?

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

POS teens get POS rims.

Hit up wheeldude for POS rip off wanna be rims. He'll probably throw in some stickers for his f4g rims.

Quick Reply: THE NEW Rota Boost on our Z!!! (Gold & Hyper Black)