Notices
Media Share Z Related Photos and Video

What a Lifelong Z Mechanic Thinks of Nissan Today

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2018, 12:39 PM
SPM350Z

Received 163 Likes on 97 Posts
Default What a Lifelong Z Mechanic Thinks of Nissan Today

Was perusing Jalopnik this morning and came across this article with Robb Fuller of Z Car Garage where Mic, I and others go to have our Nissan sports cars serviced. Decent article with some pretty clear thoughts from Robb on where things are with Nissan right now....nothing most of us don't already know but hopefully this kind of thing makes it way back up to Nissan and the move back the enthusiast direction...at least a little.

https://jalopnik.com/what-a-lifelong...day-1830083808

Enjoy,
Shawn
The following users liked this post:
bealljk (12-07-2018)
Old 12-07-2018, 01:30 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

Originally Posted by SPM350Z
Was perusing Jalopnik this morning and came across this article with Robb Fuller of Z Car Garage where Mic, I and others go to have our Nissan sports cars serviced. Decent article with some pretty clear thoughts from Robb on where things are with Nissan right now....nothing most of us don't already know but hopefully this kind of thing makes it way back up to Nissan and the move back the enthusiast direction...at least a little.

https://jalopnik.com/what-a-lifelong...day-1830083808

Enjoy,
Shawn
Thanks for the heads up, Shawn. Good article. Pretty dead on with where Nissan is these days and echoes the sentiments found in our own thread here on "Where's the Z35 at?" (or whatever it was titled.)

Interestingly, I think Rob's perspective on Nissan today, along with his take on the past Datsun/Nissans has helped to fuel the resurgence of the S30 (and others of the era, all covered over on Japanese Nostalgic Car) and pushed their values up, just like muscle cars and other classics. That's good for me I guess, owning both old and new. But honestly, I feel it would be better if Nissan offered up something in their showrooms for today's generation to aspire to... we need a new generation of true enthusiasts, not a bunch of testosterone fueled hooners who think Fast & Furious is life and try to imitate it as if it were.

< old guy stepping down from soap box now >
The following users liked this post:
rustyschopshop (12-08-2018)
Old 12-08-2018, 01:39 PM
rustyschopshop

Received 373 Likes on 279 Posts

A really good but sad read. So much blunt truth here. Thankfully i am more than happy to stay in my 350z but we definitely need something to revive the Z scene and help it grow.
Old 03-21-2019, 04:27 AM
Nismo350z#0310

Received 562 Likes on 441 Posts

So I take a different mentality. One of the biggest reasons the Z car depreciates so badly is because they make so many. They are dime a dozen.

I wouldn't mind Nissan backing off and discontinuing the Z for a while. it would surely help values in the long run and maybe be a more coveted car.

If they do continue to make them, I wish they'd make less.
Old 03-22-2019, 09:33 AM
Frostydc4

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Nismo350z#0310
So I take a different mentality. One of the biggest reasons the Z car depreciates so badly is because they make so many. They are dime a dozen.

I wouldn't mind Nissan backing off and discontinuing the Z for a while. it would surely help values in the long run and maybe be a more coveted car.

I dont know man

The Z was originally supposed to be a relatively cheap mass produced sports car.

I would say the depreciation is a good thing since there are plenty of spare parts for the FM platform around (just don't let your friends know about this )
Old 03-22-2019, 11:57 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

Originally Posted by Nismo350z#0310

Not sure how many less they can make. Sales of the Z34 is less than 70,000 TOTAL. (69,709 if you need to know). That's in 10.16 years of production, or ~7,000/year give/take.

Put into perspective, that's 20% of the number of Camry's sold in ONE model year.

Apples, oranges? Not really.... When you do a business analysis on the feasibility and viability of continuing to build a car that fails to contribute enough margin (or is so diminished) to the corporate bottom line, facts are facts. Bread and butter Camry versus caviar Z-car. Now imagine building less (and that will happen due to market forces.... I mean, 11 years of production without any significant changes?) How much longer - financially - can the 34 go?

So in a sense, I "agree" with your assessment about discontinuing the car.... but it won't be because of anything emotional, it will be a forced, but natural and good business decision based on sales (or lack thereof.) Hell, it's not even force majeure..... it's a known fact that the end is near. I don't like it but I deal in financial reality.

Please Nissan, prove me wrong with a new Z to coincide with the key October 22, 2019 date!!! Do NOT let me down!!