Notices

San Antonio AutoX March 18

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 04:43 AM
z-u-later

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by priscilla ls1
Hey guy sorry I could not make it I would have loved to be there can somone explane the PAX deal to me. Next if I go I will try and be pushing 500hp.
Come on out next month on Sunday, April 15th. Make sure you have the brake setup to handle all that hp & torque. Unfortunately in auto-x, you will not be able to use all that power since you will stay in 2nd gear the entire time. The course is laid out so there's really no opportunity to go to 3rd gear.

Here are a couple of websites you need to visit to learn more about SASCA (local auto-x club) and DLB Racing (where you signup for the events):

SASCA: http://www.sasportscar.com/forum/log...al_content.asp
DLB Racing: http://www.dlbracing.com/default.aspx

Let me know if you have any questions. BTW, get rid of those 20" rim setup that you have. Not ideal for auto-x. If you need smaller 17" stock rims for auto-x, PM me and I'll hook you up with someone who is selling a set locally.
Old 03-20-2007, 06:00 AM
z-u-later

Originally Posted by JasonZ-YA
what i dont understand is when someone in a highly modded car complains when he looses to someone in a stocker miata?! obviously at a novice level you have a better driver in the miata! my .02 cents? from what i see the pax factor seems to be somewhat fair....

- j
Aren't you being a jerk here? I know who you're referring to me so I'll go ahead and ask you to point me where I posted that I was complaining. Brandon & I were merely pointing out that in the novice group, the PAX index calculation is factored in to level the playing field because of the wide array of cars in the group. Those are facts, and individuals who are new to auto-x need to understand this.

Now, if you're going to insinuate who the better driver is, here are some facts if it makes you feel better:

RAW TIMES:

RUNS: 1st Run | 2nd Run | 3rd Run | 4th Run | 5th Run | 6th Run

MIATA (1st Heat): 63.897 | 62.664 | 79.261+DNF | 58.757 | 58.850+1 | 57.699+1
JASON (2nd Heat): 84.444 | 64.465 | 63.063+1 | 57.376+1 | 58.905 | 57.749
ME (1st Heat): 60.799+1 | 64.833 | 80.876 | 56.649 | 56.205 | 56.263

NOTE: DNF means Did Not Finish. +1 means a cone was knocked down & two seconds is added to the raw time.

I was in the 1st Heat with the Miata and you were in the 2nd Heat. The 1st Heat ran with a slight drizzle in the 1st Run & got worse during the 3rd Run, where almost every car spun out and/or dragged cones throughout the course. This is the reason why we had slower times in the 1st three runs, especially the 3rd Run.

In your case, all six of your runs were on dry pavement so what's your excuse for having slower times. Heck, your best run of the day could not even beat my last three runs when I finally ran on dry pavement! Also, a good driver does not spin out his car (in dry pavement) three times in three different runs.

Here are additional information so you can cut all the BS and get down to the facts:

RAW TIMES (Best Run Time)
Miata: 58.757 (#54)
Jason: 57.749 (#49)
Me: 56.205 (#40)

http://www.sasca.org/forum/uploaded/...-03-18_raw.htm

PAX (Adjusted Times - PAX index multipled against Best Run Time)
Miata: #45 (0.812 index)
Jason: #46 (0.828 index)
Me: #50 (0.853 index)

http://www.sasca.org/forum/uploaded/...-03-18_pax.htm

If you need the PAX index to help you think you're a better driver, then more power to you. I hope that makes you feel better.

Just my two cents . . .

Last edited by z-u-later; 03-20-2007 at 09:24 AM.
Old 03-20-2007, 07:38 AM
ravensaxe

Hey guys lets all chill out here, come on now. We were just out to have fun, I never heard anyone *****ing or complaining. Anyways I had a great time and hopefully can make it out next month.
Old 03-20-2007, 02:23 PM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by ravensaxe
Hey guys lets all chill out here, come on now. We were just out to have fun, I never heard anyone *****ing or complaining. Anyways I had a great time and hopefully can make it out next month.
Im with you on that....im not complaining nor pointing fingers....
Old 03-20-2007, 02:49 PM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Default ?huh?

Originally Posted by z-u-later
Aren't you being a jerk here? I know who you're referring to me so I'll go ahead and ask you to point me where I posted that I was complaining. Brandon & I were merely pointing out that in the novice group, the PAX index calculation is factored in to level the playing field because of the wide array of cars in the group. Those are facts, and individuals who are new to auto-x need to understand this.

For 1 i wasnt even talking about you, so i dont know where you got so offensive for? i was mearly answering the question that the other guy asked on the pax factor. I had answered it because i just got off the phone with Ed Harloe from the Club and he explained everything to me?! i left early that day and didnt stick around after my last run because i personally didnt think i did well compared to most others.... I had no idea about what a PAX was or anything, heck remember this was my first AutoX event ever! and i found out about it because of this post!!?!?

I completely understand what the pax is and why its used! what im saying is why does anyone get mad when there modded car gets a lower score due to the improvements they have? should help them, or put them at an advantage...

Now, if you're going to insinuate who the better driver is, here are some facts if it makes you feel better:

I know how to look at times.....i do understand the pax did what it did and believe me when i called ed harloe he can tell you i was confused until he explained it to me? either way i take it with a grain of salt....i do realize you and MANY OTHERS out there had much better times. The way i see it the times are where it should be at? but there are not enough novice's with similar cars to make a group so they use PAX.....uumm k i guess?

RAW TIMES:

RUNS: 1st Run | 2nd Run | 3rd Run | 4th Run | 5th Run | 6th Run

MIATA (1st Heat): 63.897 | 62.664 | 79.261+DNF | 58.757 | 58.850+1 | 57.699+1
JASON (2nd Heat): 84.444 | 64.465 | 63.063+1 | 57.376+1 | 58.905 | 57.749
ME (1st Heat): 60.799+1 | 64.833 | 80.876 | 56.649 | 56.205 | 56.263

NOTE: DNF means Did Not Finish. +1 means a cone was knocked down & two seconds is added to the raw time.

I was in the 1st Heat with the Miata and you were in the 2nd Heat. The 1st Heat ran with a slight drizzle in the 1st Run & got worse during the 3rd Run, where almost every car spun out and/or dragged cones throughout the course. This is the reason why we had slower times in the 1st three runs, especially the 3rd Run.

In your case, all six of your runs were on dry pavement so what's your excuse for having slower times. Heck, your best run of the day could not even beat my last three runs when I finally ran on dry pavement! Also, a good driver does not spin out his car (in dry pavement) three times in three different runs.

I have no excuse for running my times on wet dry whatever! IT Was my first AUTOX events and insults like this make me feel otherwise on attending such functions....and now your calling me bad driver in this comment since i spun out on my first event?! wow?! how harsh?! i had a good driver friend of mine ride with me and many others commented on me needing better tires?? I even took the time to talk to Ed Harloe and asked what tires he recommended for a novice like me and how long they would last and etc...Someone said i was on M&S tires and they were crap so i payed attention to what they recommended. Also if you remember or not, i even went up to the front table and asked to be put on NBSP class with you guys so i can run with you all, but they wouldnt allow it?!

regardless, i had a good time and plan to go out again? im thinking im gonna sacrifice a set of my drift wheels and buy some 615's as suggested by many of the nice individuals i met out there and run those wheels only at autoX events when i attend.

Here are additional information so you can cut all the BS and get down to the facts:

BS huh?!?!? wow i didnt know i was even BS'ing???

RAW TIMES (Best Run Time)
Miata: 58.757 (#54)
Jason: 57.749 (#49)
Me: 56.205 (#40)

http://www.sasca.org/forum/uploaded/...-03-18_raw.htm

PAX (Adjusted Times - PAX index multipled against Best Run Time)
Miata: #45 (0.812 index)
Jason: #46 (0.828 index)
Me: #50 (0.853 index)

http://www.sasca.org/forum/uploaded/...-03-18_pax.htm

If you need the PAX index to help you think you're a better driver, then more power to you. I hope that makes you feel better.

Just my two cents . .

Once again? i dont think im a better driver? thats probably why i was out there asking you and many others advice? and why i made sure that kevin (novice coordinator) rode with me and helped me out!! I spun out with him and had a blast!? even following his recommendations through out the first lap, hence my horible 1st time...

I was in no way referring to you and if you feel so, you could have PM'd me and i could have done this non publicly? I hope you are not offended....

I had a great FIRST time and hope to get out there a few more times....I appologies if you thought otherwise, i was simply explaining the pax to the other member on here that asked and it seems you think otherwise?

- Jason!

Last edited by JasonZ-YA; 03-20-2007 at 02:52 PM.
Old 03-20-2007, 06:53 PM
z-u-later

Jason - We're cool . . . BTW, I'm sending someone your way who is looking for stock 18" rims. They should be sending you a PM shortly. Local buyer.
Old 03-21-2007, 05:12 PM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

cool.....sounds good....

ya, i had a blast and im thinking im gonna make it to the next meet...im just hope'n i can have some good set of rubber before i go out there...

- J
Old 03-21-2007, 05:13 PM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

What class would they put me in once i install my:
Coilovers, tie rods, camber arms, and good street rubber?

already have K&N drop in filter, greddy Xhaust, gauges, engine grounding kit?

- J
Old 03-22-2007, 05:25 PM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

hey ed?

what tires do you suggest??!

- j
Old 03-22-2007, 06:35 PM
z-u-later

What class would they put me in once i install my:
Coilovers, tie rods, camber arms, and good street rubber?

already have K&N drop in filter, greddy Xhaust, gauges, engine grounding kit?

- J
Those mods will probably push you to BSP, where Brandon & I are.
Old 03-22-2007, 06:53 PM
z-u-later

hey ed?

what tires do you suggest??!

- j
Hey Jason,

I've been doing some extensive research the last couple of months on the best tires for the track/autocross. Believe it or not, there is no good answer. What I'm finding out is it really depends on what you want to do. Here are a few questions that I came across:

1. Do you want tires that will be used as daily driver & autocross?

Basically, if you're going this route, the Falken Azenis RT-615 will be my recommendation. Very good autocross reviews on these tires and the prices are cheaper than most brands.

2. Are the tires strictly for autocross?

You're basically looking for R-compound tires here. You'll need to figure out how to transport the extra set of rims/tires to the autocross location. And these tires are not cheap unless you purchase a used set. Kumhos & Hoosiers are the best R-compound tires for autocross but they don't come cheap.

3. Will you only be driving the tires to/from autocross?

This is the route I'm taking. I bought a used set of Rays track rims that I will be using strictly for autocross. I found a great deal on a used set of Toyo RA-1 competition tires that I will be using on these rims. $350 for a set of four tires shipped is a great deal. Even though the RA-1s are considered R-compounds, I can still drive them to/from the autocross.

Most members here recommend to try a used set of tires for autocross before splurging on a more expensive new set. Anyway, this sounds lengthy but this is what I have learned so far. If you have any other questions, let me know and I'll be glad to help.

If you go to the Autocross Section of this forum, there are some excellent threads on recommended autocross tires.

Last edited by z-u-later; 03-22-2007 at 06:56 PM.
Old 03-22-2007, 07:25 PM
ravensaxe

actually doind coilovers and not spring and strut it will put you in street modified, which is above Ed and I. at that point you would want r compound not street tires.
Old 03-22-2007, 08:04 PM
z-u-later

Hey Brandon, good catch there on the coilovers. That will place him in SM, along with Shane in his Subby Impreza. Darn, freakin' Subby boy beat me, barely! I'll get him next month . . . he's hooked on auto-x now!
Old 03-23-2007, 08:44 AM
ravensaxe

the canadian with the subby beat you, I was working on his runs and he didnt seems to be going to fast.
Old 03-23-2007, 09:24 AM
z-u-later

Yeah, he did not look fast driving by but he has that AWD that grips the course. IMO, it takes more skills to drive our RWD. The morning drizzle hurt our 1st three runs. The 2nd Heat basically had six good runs, we only had three good runs in the afternoon. I would have beaten his times if I had six good runs (if you notice, my three runs in the afternoon were consistent).
Old 03-26-2007, 06:43 PM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by z-u-later
Hey Jason,

I've been doing some extensive research the last couple of months on the best tires for the track/autocross. Believe it or not, there is no good answer. What I'm finding out is it really depends on what you want to do. Here are a few questions that I came across:

1. Do you want tires that will be used as daily driver & autocross?

Basically, if you're going this route, the Falken Azenis RT-615 will be my recommendation. Very good autocross reviews on these tires and the prices are cheaper than most brands.

2. Are the tires strictly for autocross?

You're basically looking for R-compound tires here. You'll need to figure out how to transport the extra set of rims/tires to the autocross location. And these tires are not cheap unless you purchase a used set. Kumhos & Hoosiers are the best R-compound tires for autocross but they don't come cheap.

3. Will you only be driving the tires to/from autocross?

This is the route I'm taking. I bought a used set of Rays track rims that I will be using strictly for autocross. I found a great deal on a used set of Toyo RA-1 competition tires that I will be using on these rims. $350 for a set of four tires shipped is a great deal. Even though the RA-1s are considered R-compounds, I can still drive them to/from the autocross.

Most members here recommend to try a used set of tires for autocross before splurging on a more expensive new set. Anyway, this sounds lengthy but this is what I have learned so far. If you have any other questions, let me know and I'll be glad to help.

If you go to the Autocross Section of this forum, there are some excellent threads on recommended autocross tires.
Sweet! thanks for your help! ya, i would more than likely buy tires that will stay on an autoX only set of wheels i have!

I would like to buy some though that i can drive to and from the SA events only. I wouldnt want to load the car on my trailer unless its for an out of town event.....

- J