Notices
Mid-Atlantic Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Washington D.C.

Caught the dealership abusing our 350z!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006 | 03:33 PM
tochigi350z

Angry Caught the dealership abusing our 350z!

Cliff notes: Dropped car off to get serviced for a service engine light, happened to see my car on a road test being driven ~100mph, they claim to have fixed a 'rough idle' that I never noticed or asked them to fix and now it idles worse than before.

Long:

So I just got back from Victory Nissan in Gaithersburg and am upset to say the least about how our Z was treated……

This afternoon, my mom dropped off our Z because it was throwing a Service Engine light. I pulled the code, U1000 or 'Manufacturer Specific DTC', which according to the manual is a malfunction in the ECM lines. Originally the Slip, TCS off, and check engine lights came on at once, but the check engine stayed on. Regardless, it drove perfectly. I figured the problem worked itself out and the CES light just needed to be cleared
I was actually headed to Europro's which is almost right next door to pick up a towhook cover for my WRX since they put on my Jun bumper last week. I just stopped by Victory on the way just to say hi to my mom. As I pulled back onto Wisconsin Ave/MD355 in the WRX and came to a stop at the intersection, I noticed a black 350z pull out behind me. I remember thinking that it was cool because that car looked exactly like ours… but then saw the license plate and realized it was our car, out for a test drive.

As soon as the light went green the guy driving our Z NAILED it. I was like . He didn't launch or anything but by the time we reached the second intersection he had gained at least 18 car lengths over the rest of traffic from that light. I was wondering if I was just reacting overprotectively since it was someone else driving our car but it was really a sight to see. The turn for EuroPro's came up but I decided to stay on 355 and follow him. He took it to around 90-100mph easy... on Wisconsin Ave with mid-afternoon traffic although there were only a few scattered cars in this particular stretch. I can’t imagine the speed limit even being more than 40-50mph with all the intersections. I was going about 80-85mph just to keep up and he was pulling away hard… I felt my own driving was pretty unsafe and I was just trying to keep up about 7-8 carlengths behind. When we got to a curve in the road he didn’t even slow down, I didn’t feel comfortable taking the turn at WOT so I hit the brakes even with my aftermarket suspension and Advan Neovas AD07 . I went about 1 mile out of my way before he turned off and I pulled a U-turn to go back to the dealer ask the service manager why they felt the need to drive our car like that. When I called my mom to give her a heads up she was just as upset. After having words with the service guy about what happened I hear a 350z’s exhaust revving in the parking lot and sure enough our car was back… I asked the guy whether he was done flogging the hell out of my car and he thought I was talking about all the revving, not even realizing I spotted him on the road. I didn’t rage out with his boss standing right there but I made it perfectly clear that we wouldn’t be back.

I’m just posting to find out if they messed up my car and what I can do to fix it. They only had the car in their possession for about half an hour. They got rid of the service engine soon, but he told us the car was idling rough so he changed something that has to do with the idle. But after getting the car back it was much rougher than before. Can anyone help me find what they might have changed? Could I just reset the ECU or is there anything else I could do to get it back to factory settings (and how do I do that)? I’ve heard of stories in the past of dealers doing stuff to mess up cars just so they’d come back to have work done… I’m not sure if this was the case but it’s definitely worse than when I dropped it off. And could his actions be justified in any way? I know when TurboXS tunes WRX’s they run the cars hard on a road tune but they have to since they’re tuning… checking to make sure there isn’t knock or any other problems in extreme driving conditions. I didn’t even see the need for a test drive but they claimed they had to take it on a drive to make sure the CEL wouldn’t come on.

As KamikaZe said earlier this just goes to show don’t trust anybody with your car… this experience has really turned me off on getting anything done under warranty, I’d think I’d rather pay someone I know and trust.
Old 04-11-2006 | 03:43 PM
rockinbboy

Doh..well I won't be taking my car to them any time soon. I go to DARCARS..but with all these stealerships...its hard to find a trust worthy one.

Sucks they drove your car hard, but I don't think they did any damage..its a Z..its meant to be driven.
Old 04-11-2006 | 03:49 PM
Vamos_Rafael

well at least u know how to fix a rough idle...
:/......
i hate it when someone i dont know drives my car...
but that would just kill me... i'd spazz out like right infront of the dealer owner and just f*cking own the guy to get his *** fired...
Old 04-11-2006 | 04:19 PM
TheLastSpartan

thats rough dude

its like catching your bestfriend banging your girl
Old 04-11-2006 | 04:24 PM
NissanZfan

If that were my car, I would do anything/everything possible to get that guy fired. There is no need for that WHAT SO EVER I would be heated.
Old 04-11-2006 | 04:32 PM
John@Victory

Originally Posted by tochigi350z
Cliff notes: Dropped car off to get serviced for a service engine light, happened to see my car on a road test being driven ~100mph, they claim to have fixed a 'rough idle' that I never noticed or asked them to fix and now it idles worse than before.

Long:

So I just got back from Victory Nissan in Gaithersburg and am upset to say the least about how our Z was treated……

This afternoon, my mom dropped off our Z because it was throwing a Service Engine light. I pulled the code, U1000 or 'Manufacturer Specific DTC', which according to the manual is a malfunction in the ECM lines. Originally the Slip, TCS off, and check engine lights came on at once, but the check engine stayed on. Regardless, it drove perfectly. I figured the problem worked itself out and the CES light just needed to be cleared
I was actually headed to Europro's which is almost right next door to pick up a towhook cover for my WRX since they put on my Jun bumper last week. I just stopped by Victory on the way just to say hi to my mom. As I pulled back onto Wisconsin Ave/MD355 in the WRX and came to a stop at the intersection, I noticed a black 350z pull out behind me. I remember thinking that it was cool because that car looked exactly like ours… but then saw the license plate and realized it was our car, out for a test drive.

As soon as the light went green the guy driving our Z NAILED it. I was like . He didn't launch or anything but by the time we reached the second intersection he had gained at least 18 car lengths over the rest of traffic from that light. I was wondering if I was just reacting overprotectively since it was someone else driving our car but it was really a sight to see. The turn for EuroPro's came up but I decided to stay on 355 and follow him. He took it to around 90-100mph easy... on Wisconsin Ave with mid-afternoon traffic although there were only a few scattered cars in this particular stretch. I can’t imagine the speed limit even being more than 40-50mph with all the intersections. I was going about 80-85mph just to keep up and he was pulling away hard… I felt my own driving was pretty unsafe and I was just trying to keep up about 7-8 carlengths behind. When we got to a curve in the road he didn’t even slow down, I didn’t feel comfortable taking the turn at WOT so I hit the brakes even with my aftermarket suspension and Advan Neovas AD07 . I went about 1 mile out of my way before he turned off and I pulled a U-turn to go back to the dealer ask the service manager why they felt the need to drive our car like that. When I called my mom to give her a heads up she was just as upset. After having words with the service guy about what happened I hear a 350z’s exhaust revving in the parking lot and sure enough our car was back… I asked the guy whether he was done flogging the hell out of my car and he thought I was talking about all the revving, not even realizing I spotted him on the road. I didn’t rage out with his boss standing right there but I made it perfectly clear that we wouldn’t be back.

I’m just posting to find out if they messed up my car and what I can do to fix it. They only had the car in their possession for about half an hour. They got rid of the service engine soon, but he told us the car was idling rough so he changed something that has to do with the idle. But after getting the car back it was much rougher than before. Can anyone help me find what they might have changed? Could I just reset the ECU or is there anything else I could do to get it back to factory settings (and how do I do that)? I’ve heard of stories in the past of dealers doing stuff to mess up cars just so they’d come back to have work done… I’m not sure if this was the case but it’s definitely worse than when I dropped it off. And could his actions be justified in any way? I know when TurboXS tunes WRX’s they run the cars hard on a road tune but they have to since they’re tuning… checking to make sure there isn’t knock or any other problems in extreme driving conditions. I didn’t even see the need for a test drive but they claimed they had to take it on a drive to make sure the CEL wouldn’t come on.

As KamikaZe said earlier this just goes to show don’t trust anybody with your car… this experience has really turned me off on getting anything done under warranty, I’d think I’d rather pay someone I know and trust.

man im sorry to hear that! i work at victory in richmond and i feel like an *** even being associated with those guys. i appologize which i know really does nothing for you im sure. but what they did with your car was wrong, very wrong!
as for their comment about needing to drive it to check for the light? well thats crap too, as it ususlly takes about 50-100 miles to kick a light back on after being reset.
again im sorry about your experiance and i hope you dont think all of the stores in the victory chain are the same
Old 04-11-2006 | 06:43 PM
philude

my ex gf used to work at EuroPros, those guys there are pretty cool. anyways, sorry to hear that, that's such bull****. i wouldn't be able to keep my cool, i'd probably kick the **** out of the guy as soon as he stepped out of the car.
Old 04-11-2006 | 06:55 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner
Premier Member

Victory guy ^^ should pass this on to his Service manager and see if it gets handled accordingly.
Old 04-11-2006 | 07:40 PM
6swhite350z

next time, stay at the dealership while the car is in service.. i do that
Old 04-11-2006 | 07:41 PM
Zincognito

Fukc that! If that would have happen to me, i would have had the driver @ss and the Service managers @ss!!!!!!! They would be done......
Old 04-11-2006 | 07:54 PM
05-Z

Call the DSM, ask for a meeting. This has probably happened before, they just got caught this time.
Old 04-11-2006 | 08:47 PM
ZXERT

Originally Posted by S TWO K
Call the DSM, ask for a meeting. This has probably happened before, they just got caught this time.
Exactly.

You have to look at this as...

He took a huge risk with your car. He was endangering peoples lives. He shouldn't have even driven your car. He abused your car. ON THE JOB.

You need to hold him accountable. He probably does this all the time and just has never gotten caught. And don't take **** from service managers either, they will just side with the tech to shut you up. Take it to the highest level and demand that action be taken.

Tell them you expect to have free oil changes for 6 months, and action be taken against the employee.

I would be so furious, just reading that I want to punch someone. Honestly don't let this bastard go, get him, get him good for deflowering your BABY. POOR CAR!!!!

Edit: PS. Get your mom and dad involved asap.
Old 04-11-2006 | 09:58 PM
Evo_Z33

Lawsuit!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-11-2006 | 10:08 PM
tochigi350z

Originally Posted by John@Victory
man im sorry to hear that! i work at victory in richmond and i feel like an *** even being associated with those guys. i appologize which i know really does nothing for you im sure. but what they did with your car was wrong, very wrong!
as for their comment about needing to drive it to check for the light? well thats crap too, as it ususlly takes about 50-100 miles to kick a light back on after being reset.
again im sorry about your experiance and i hope you dont think all of the stores in the victory chain are the same

Yeah to be sure this is Gaithersburg Victory that I had the problem with... I don't hold it against your dealership or any others. I wouldn't even hold it against this dealership had it not been for other super-shady stuff I saw in the half hour I was there...

Like originally bringing a salesperson in with the service guy to try and convince my mom that she needs a new car (no idea what they thought Nissan sells that could replace a Z )... Watching them argue with some poor family over whether or not their problem was covered under warranty even though they had bumper to bumper coverage, and making fun of them after they left... And trying to blame the original ECM code/malfunction on an improper ground on the Lojack aka the only aftermarket part on the car that wouldn't be under warranty (and they installed it originally... )

Would clearing the ECU bring the 'idle' data back to the factory settings? That's my main concern since tampering with the idle was the only thing that they changed afaik apart from clearing the code.

Thanks for some of the advice on what to do... just a crappy situation that I never asked for. What really sucks is this could have happened to LOTS of people and you just never know... just his bad luck I happened to be passing by when I did.

Last edited by tochigi350z; 04-11-2006 at 10:15 PM.
Old 04-11-2006 | 10:10 PM
tochigi350z

Originally Posted by philude
my ex gf used to work at EuroPros, those guys there are pretty cool. anyways, sorry to hear that, that's such bull****. i wouldn't be able to keep my cool, i'd probably kick the **** out of the guy as soon as he stepped out of the car.
Yeah EuroPro's in Gaithersburg is the BEST. I can't say enough good things about them. This is my 4th time I've been there and every time the work was flawless/better than factory. The owners and guys who work there are the coolest people ever to talk to and every time I go there they have at least 3-4 porsche race cars scattered in the garage. Last time, a 911 turbo with airjacks and a yellow RUF 996 that apparently was imported from germany w/ BBS race-only rims and widebody flares that they installed . They've done the bodywork on a handful of local Z's w/ full kits too
Old 04-12-2006 | 02:31 AM
John@Victory

Originally Posted by tochigi350z
Yeah to be sure this is Gaithersburg Victory that I had the problem with... I don't hold it against your dealership or any others. I wouldn't even hold it against this dealership had it not been for other super-shady stuff I saw in the half hour I was there...

Like originally bringing a salesperson in with the service guy to try and convince my mom that she needs a new car (no idea what they thought Nissan sells that could replace a Z )... Watching them argue with some poor family over whether or not their problem was covered under warranty even though they had bumper to bumper coverage, and making fun of them after they left... And trying to blame the original ECM code/malfunction on an improper ground on the Lojack aka the only aftermarket part on the car that wouldn't be under warranty (and they installed it originally... )

Would clearing the ECU bring the 'idle' data back to the factory settings? That's my main concern since tampering with the idle was the only thing that they changed afaik apart from clearing the code.

Thanks for some of the advice on what to do... just a crappy situation that I never asked for. What really sucks is this could have happened to LOTS of people and you just never know... just his bad luck I happened to be passing by when I did.
well the dsm of our orginization is located in my dealership if you feel you want to go that way. and then you have the nissan rep of the district as well. but the nissan rep has no control over how dealership runnings are. just let me know if you want contact info for the dsm of our dealership chain
Old 04-12-2006 | 04:25 AM
nothingremains

I would defiantely not let this go easily!
Old 04-12-2006 | 04:30 AM
Nowell
National Z Club

I think you should show them this tread at work today John.
Old 04-12-2006 | 04:39 AM
John@Victory

I'm not going to be back to work till Saturday at the earliest as my grandmother is in ICU fighting cancer and i dont have anyone to sit with her till the weekend. but i will forward it alog sooner or later. but there are probobly faster ways to handle this waiting for me.
Old 04-12-2006 | 05:24 AM
Nowell
National Z Club

Originally Posted by John@Victory
I'm not going to be back to work till Saturday at the earliest as my grandmother is in ICU fighting cancer and i dont have anyone to sit with her till the weekend. but i will forward it alog sooner or later. but there are probobly faster ways to handle this waiting for me.
Best wishes to you and your grandmother. Sorry to hear that.

Quick Reply: Caught the dealership abusing our 350z!