Notices
Mid-Atlantic Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Washington D.C.

Holy smokes...be careful out there guys! Snow ownz Z

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2007 | 11:35 AM
rockinbboy

Exclamation Holy smokes...be careful out there guys! Snow ownz Z

I went to bmore and got delayed coming back home. HOping I'd beat the snow, it didn't happen. I was going 55 mph in a 65 mph zone if that. Even then, I lost traction at least 4 times going on 70 west. I was lucky that I eased off the throttle, brake a bit, clutch in to disengage tranny from engine etc...and gained back control to steer the car back in the direction I wanted to go. Scariest ride ever. There were at least two accidents I saw, with one being major enough to block off a lane. I was happy about that cause it forced everyone to slow down and I had no proplem driving 3-6 mph up to my upcoming exit. This area all the snow was also slushy, so I KNOW I could have totally gone bad here even going slow (thanks god). And to top that off..once I got into my neighborhood street which wasn't plowed...I was going 20 mph in a 30 zone and I did a total 180!! I couldn't believe it. I pretty much ended up on the opposite lane as if I did a U turn in the middle of the street. I pulled into a complex and tried again going 11-15 mph tops. Mission: success. Got home safely and Z is prestine.

So ladies and gents...careful out there. I know the Z is not ment for the winter elements but I sure as got a first hand experience before I could prevent it. God...first thing I am modding when I have money to burn are the ****zenzas.
Old 01-21-2007 | 11:39 AM
annahandres

That's wild, we drove from Charlottesville to Richmond and traction through Cville was terrible. It was so mushy out and the back end kept swinging loose on the roads that hadn't cleared. I was just like PLEASE drive slow. It's the one time I think you start to wish you had an STi haha. The dirty slush sucks, but it's good that you and the care are safe. We saw like 6 ambulances and like 6 cars on the side of the highway overturned or stuck.
Old 01-21-2007 | 11:49 AM
Tubbs

Wow. No disrespect intended, because you live in a warm climate that shouldn't have snow, but you guys just can't drive in bad conditions! I've driven on roads with many layers of Ice, driven with the worst slush, huge puddles, Black Ice and I haven't had a problem. That's with the stock tires. I wish I didn't live with these conditions, but I do
Old 01-21-2007 | 11:54 AM
rockinbboy

^^ stock? yeah..how fast you driving in these conditions? I am sorry, but I just got to pull the BS card..cause something doesn't click. I know how bad the Z is with stock tires and I've heard it time and again. How do you not have issues? I thought I drove fine given the speed and distance I had to travel (55 miles to travel at least)
Old 01-21-2007 | 11:57 AM
annahandres

Our little experience wasn't anything major, I live in Northern VA and I'm used to snow (and driving an AWD Bravada), but my boyfriend who was driving (as his Z is his DD) lives in Southern VA and they don't get snow there. We were driving so slow, but the hilly curvy roads covered in powder didn't help. You're right though way too many people don't know how to drive in snow. You drive on ice and slush with stock Z tires? That's brave. I mean there is only so much skill in driving in these conditions and after that physics takes over and you can't control your car much more. I have to agree with rockinboy. The Z is just NOT a snow car, no matter how well you may drive.
Old 01-21-2007 | 11:59 AM
Slippy

Tubbs, maybe you can come down and school us some time
RWD + Summer tires + Slush = No Good
r-boy - glad you got home safe. My father-in-law just called, he's headed to Costco in Frederick from Hagerstown. He passed 6 accidents, the lasta Ford SUV that had rolled at least 3 times... he could see the marks through the median where it cleared the slush when it bounced
Got some nice pictures of the powder coated Z... I think I have my new avatar
Old 01-21-2007 | 12:03 PM
PythonLaX

Originally Posted by Tubbs
Wow. No disrespect intended, because you live in a warm climate that shouldn't have snow, but you guys just can't drive in bad conditions! I've driven on roads with many layers of Ice, driven with the worst slush, huge puddles, Black Ice and I haven't had a problem. That's with the stock tires. I wish I didn't live with these conditions, but I do
We always get snow here in Maryland, not sure what your talking about. Maybe not as much snow as in Vancouver, but it's not like it's florida or anything. What stock tires come on the Z's in Vancouver? Still the crappy Potenzas?
Old 01-21-2007 | 12:34 PM
rockinbboy

Originally Posted by Slippy
Tubbs, maybe you can come down and school us some time
RWD + Summer tires + Slush = No Good
r-boy - glad you got home safe. My father-in-law just called, he's headed to Costco in Frederick from Hagerstown. He passed 6 accidents, the lasta Ford SUV that had rolled at least 3 times... he could see the marks through the median where it cleared the slush when it bounced
Got some nice pictures of the powder coated Z... I think I have my new avatar
+1. I want to take a pic of my Z in the snow. Yeah tell, hagerstown to frederick is a good 20 mintues and thats driving the speed limit. I dare not to even try driving those road cause it gets windy and hilly. arg...I hope they cleared it up. I don't think the roads are well prepared this year as they have been in the past years. Sucks to hear about those accidents...people just don't realize how dangerous it is to drive in snow/wet conditions.
Old 01-21-2007 | 12:37 PM
Tubbs

Ya, the Potenzas. It's not like I purposely drive the Z in the winter, but a day can start off dry and end with feet of snow on the ground. I really don't know what to say. Coming from Alberta which had an average temperature of -40 C and roads that were never cleared, I guess I've learned how to drive on ice. :/ Call BS if you want, but I'm doing something right. Believe me when I say I'd rather have your weather though. Lol.
Old 01-21-2007 | 12:45 PM
rockinbboy

I guess the reason we find it hard to believe is when you say you don't have issues driving in those conditions we just picture you driving like 30 mph in a 30 mph zone in snowed areas and what and driving like you had no issues. I am sure thats not the case and that you just definetly have the experience that we don't.

Quick question to you or anyone. Would having low tire pressure help or not help in conditions like I experienced? I had about 30-32 psi in my tires from initial startup. They warmed up to about 35 psi. I was thinking the lower the tire pressure, the more weight pushes on it and more surface area is put into the ground however minimal it might be. Just a thought I wasn't sure on.

Anyways...I have a FWD dd regardless..so I will be okay storing the Z away for now. FWD for FTW in snow . I mean..next to AWD of course.
Old 01-21-2007 | 12:49 PM
Sean

Originally Posted by rockinbboy
Quick question to you or anyone. Would having low tire pressure help or not help in conditions like I experienced? I had about 30-32 psi in my tires from initial startup. They warmed up to about 35 psi. I was thinking the lower the tire pressure, the more weight pushes on it and more surface area is put into the ground however minimal it might be. Just a thought I wasn't sure on.

maybe it will help in snow for traction, but it will hurt with water, and I think slush would fall in that catagory.
Old 01-21-2007 | 12:53 PM
Tubbs

General rule. Lower gear than normal, slower than normal, brake and shift gears waaay before any corner. Smooth everything. Smooth steering, smooth shifting, smooth braking. Picture Initial D with the water cup.

lower tire pressure is good. 30 should be fine. I think too low will have an adverse effect. You also want as skinny tires as possible.

I have TOO much experience driving in crap weather, and the next place I will live is in the desert. I'm sick of this

btw, my winter car is an '88 FWD daytona with Nokian WR's on. I took it up snowboarding a couple weeks ago and I was one of the only cars to make it up, top notch winter tires made in finland.

http://www.nokiantyres.com/passenger...name=NOKIAN+WR

Originally Posted by rockinbboy
I guess the reason we find it hard to believe is when you say you don't have issues driving in those conditions we just picture you driving like 30 mph in a 30 mph zone in snowed areas and what and driving like you had no issues. I am sure thats not the case and that you just definetly have the experience that we don't.

Anyways...I have a FWD dd regardless..so I will be okay storing the Z away for now. FWD for FTW in snow . I mean..next to AWD of course.
Old 01-21-2007 | 01:09 PM
Nihilation

Snowing here too, Bridgestone RE960AS Pole Positions FTW. Better dry traction rating than the OE RE040 and RE050A's but with good snow traction as well.
Old 01-21-2007 | 01:26 PM
abui01

sandbags in the back, winter tires FTW!
if u dont have the above, then drifting is always another fun option
Old 01-21-2007 | 02:46 PM
HIGHTECHZ

Originally Posted by Tubbs
yeah ok thanks for the comments guy. I grew up in michigan and lived in the upper penninsula for years and I also know how to drive in the snow, even in these type of cars.

But what people like you, who have never lived anywhere else, don't get is that in conditions where there is a sh*t ton of snow, THEY PLOW THE ROADS. Guess what they don't do here????

My z is less than 6 months old. Saw snow for the first time today. Tried to leave my neighborhood, very, very slight incline and it wouldn't even make it up the hill. Not at a crawl, rocking, or spinning. Know why? cause they don't plow smart guy. Not to mention they design the roads differently up there for better traction in snow.

There is equipment up that far north that doesn't even exist anywhere else in the world cause the snow is so bad. This area just doesn't have the knowledge, experience, or resources to deal with this, at least as quickly as they can up north.

It is nice that you caveat your comments with "no disrespect intended" but it is still disrespectful.

So the next time you want to go ahead and call us all bad drivers from your high and mighty snow plowed place in the universe, think twice before posting a thoroughly useless comment.

Oh and stick to your own region maple leaf!

For everyone else on here, this is my first negative post, but I was majorly insulted by this lack of perspective.
Old 01-21-2007 | 03:08 PM
Tubbs

LOL. Congrats on your "first negative" post. You should also know that even though Vancouver is in Canada, it's right next to Seattle. You know what Seattle weather is, right? Rain. Guess what ours is? Rain. We have the same temps, everything. it's just been a freak year. So, you should also know that;

1. Our snow removal equipment is the sun and rain.
2. For the most part Vancouver drivers are horrible as well, and our insurance is going up because of it.
3. Even in Alberta which DID have snow removal, the budget would run out in January, and there wouldn't be any snow removal until it melted. When I took my drivers test, a looong time ago, I drove on roads that weren't cleared for 4 months, and had a foot of ice built up.
4. As for roads being designed for snow, Vancouver roads are not. In the last 7 years that I've been here, we've had snow a total of 2 days every year.

I'm sorry you got all upset and everything.

Originally Posted by HIGHTECHZ
yeah ok thanks for the comments guy. I grew up in michigan and lived in the upper penninsula for years and I also know how to drive in the snow, even in these type of cars.

But what people like you, who have never lived anywhere else, don't get is that in conditions where there is a sh*t ton of snow, THEY PLOW THE ROADS. Guess what they don't do here????

My z is less than 6 months old. Saw snow for the first time today. Tried to leave my neighborhood, very, very slight incline and it wouldn't even make it up the hill. Not at a crawl, rocking, or spinning. Know why? cause they don't plow smart guy. Not to mention they design the roads differently up there for better traction in snow.

There is equipment up that far north that doesn't even exist anywhere else in the world cause the snow is so bad. This area just doesn't have the knowledge, experience, or resources to deal with this, at least as quickly as they can up north.

It is nice that you caveat your comments with "no disrespect intended" but it is still disrespectful.

So the next time you want to go ahead and call us all bad drivers from your high and mighty snow plowed place in the universe, think twice before posting a thoroughly useless comment.

Oh and stick to your own region maple leaf!

For everyone else on here, this is my first negative post, but I was majorly insulted by this lack of perspective.
Old 01-21-2007 | 03:59 PM
lil' blue

Only skimmed this thread, seems like there was some attitude developing...

Regardless, I have two things.

1. First Virginia snow, the crews out here do not plow well. Major freeways were decent, but secondary streets were untouched (Grew up in MI.)

2. I was cruising back from upstate New York today and hit the brunt of the snow between Baltimore and DC. I saw a black Z roadster spun out just south of Dtown Baltimore. Kind of a bummer...
Old 01-21-2007 | 04:12 PM
rockinbboy

ah..its all good...we all have different driving experiences when it comes down to it. And everyone has to deal with different driving conditions and the slightest difference makes all the change no matter what experience you have. I wish I knew about the gearing tips. I was definetly cruzing in like 45-55 in like 6th gear. My thinking was that if i blip the gas unintentionally i wouldn't be putting down as much power say had I been in a lower gear.
Old 01-21-2007 | 04:18 PM
rockinbboy

Originally Posted by lil' blue

2. I was cruising back from upstate New York today and hit the brunt of the snow between Baltimore and DC. I saw a black Z roadster spun out just south of Dtown Baltimore. Kind of a bummer...
man...how creepy is it so see that. If I didn't have a DD.....i'd definetly do the sandbags in the back and snow tires as abui stated.

Last edited by rockinbboy; 01-21-2007 at 04:22 PM.
Old 01-21-2007 | 04:23 PM
kh_08

Man, that must be really bad. I live in Miami (no snow), but come hurricane season and the stormy weather starts it becomes similar to snow conditions, maybe not as bad. The last time I drove my Z in hard rain I had a few scares on the 836. The back tires start sliding and I have to ease off the the throttle and counter steer - all this happening at 50mph scary . I have stock tires - love them in the dry fun in the rain but not when you don't wanna have fun. Thank good there is a button to turn on the tcs when needed.
-take it easy in harsh conditions and drive safely.

Quick Reply: Holy smokes...be careful out there guys! Snow ownz Z