Notices
Mid-Atlantic Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Washington D.C.

Is Precision Auto...

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 05:05 PM
Cube

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is Precision Auto...

Still around doing commendable work? Ross hasn't replied via my350z.com PM's and I tried visiting the website and it doesn't pull up (atleast not over the past few days). Considering giving them a call tomorrow, but I'm looking at a motor installation. Any other place recommended? I would check out PTUNING for this but they're so far ... but that shop does look nice

Also, what kind of cost am I looking at if the motor is already half built and in the engine bay, bolted to the tranny and it shows up on the tow? (not motor swap, just a finish of installation).

Not looking at any FI on it right now, just a built motor going in with stock intake for now.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:36 PM
Nowell
National Z Club

Check out Function TUNED. You can give Dave or Juan a pm/call. Link is in my sig.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:57 PM
Cube

Newport News (far from Function: Tuned and PTUNING)

So any word on Ross from Precision? And any ballpark estimates based on others' experience(s) with a swap and how much the very after end of a swap would cost?
Old 04-10-2007, 07:06 PM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you try calling Ross?

I will PM you his home email address.
Old 04-10-2007, 07:16 PM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just found his info again. sorry PMed you the wrong stuff.

Ross Benton (Owner)
Precision Auto
820 Greenbrier Circle Unit 15
Chesapeake, VA23320

Shop Phone (757) 424-1918

E-mail RossBenton@***.net
AIM: PrecisionAutoVA
Old 04-11-2007, 02:35 AM
Zincognito

Ross is a great guy, im sure he will take care of you. Let us know how it all works out for you.
Old 04-11-2007, 02:43 AM
Bucknastys'Z

I will call Ross this morning and tell him to get a hold of you on here. I was at the shop this weekend as john stated though you should just be able to give him a call.
Old 04-11-2007, 06:11 AM
PrecisionAuto

Sorry for not getting intouch with you sooner. I have not been checking out the forums latley. We have a few projects going on and have been devoting my time to that lately. Please give me a call at the shop and I can go over every thing with you. Thank you. 757-424-1918
Old 04-11-2007, 04:01 PM
Cube

Gave a call, putting the old engine back together and gettin things ready to take it down to Precision Auto.

Great deal, almost too good to be true!
Old 04-12-2007, 05:29 AM
Bucknastys'Z

Smile

Cube you will be very satisfied with Ross's work as he is a perfectionist and extremely knowledgable at what he does. I'm sure anyone on here that has taken there vehicle to him can verify that Ross is a very stand up guy and doesn't rape you with what he charges. Great choice in taking your Z to him..
Old 04-12-2007, 12:36 PM
Cube

Originally Posted by Bucknastys'Z
Cube you will be very satisfied with Ross's work as he is a perfectionist and extremely knowledgable at what he does. I'm sure anyone on here that has taken there vehicle to him can verify that Ross is a very stand up guy and doesn't rape you with what he charges. Great choice in taking your Z to him..
Never owned a Z in my life
Old 04-12-2007, 02:10 PM
Bucknastys'Z

my bad either way you will be very satisified with his work
Old 04-13-2007, 06:46 PM
bigrobg757

ross is very good
Old 07-01-2007, 12:13 PM
Cube

Originally Posted by Bucknastys'Z
my bad either way you will be very satisified with his work
Well I hope I'm happy with the actual work because it's still sittin at Precision Auto. Although the delay was partly due to Custom Car Care's sloppy job removing the motor and scattering bolts and miscellaneous parts in cut-in-half bottles of old oil and everything was pretty dirty/scummy, there's also been extremely long delays due to shop problems. It seems my car's put at the bottom of the day's work list and if it just so happens they don't get through their jobs for the day, mine's put at the bottom of the next day's list and so on.

The only thing stopping it from running right now is a wire connection to the starter. That's been holding it up for 3 or 4 days now.

Whenever I call, I get some new date that it's gonna be done by. When that day comes, it's up to me to call to see if it's still gonna be done. I'm always told a new date.

I tried callin Ross today to see if maybe there was someone at the shop today to let him know I'm pretty disappointed that it wasn't done by Monday the 2nd. I planned on driving it home to Chicago and 2 weeks ago I let him know I really need it by this weekend that just passed for that reason. I had faith and he reassured me that it would be ready, but now I had to buy last minute plane tickets and I'm gonna have to borrow a car for gettin around when I'm home. That's the only part that's really gettin to me... that I didn't have it in time for my trip home.

Also, I can't just go and visit anytime I want and try to urge him to finish because it's half hour to 45 minutes away, and I don't have a running car. I've been bummin rides to work for longer than I'd care to say.

This is just feedback on my experience so far. Ross is a very nice guy, but I'm not a fan of the extreme delays and the 1 or 2 updates over the last 2 months.

Lastly, the new receptionist at this point is pretty worthless because she doesn't have a clue what's going on lol... she's basically the phone hand-off chick.
Old 07-01-2007, 12:17 PM
Cube

Oh and forgot... in his defense he's being very lenient on the price, partly due to the delay, so I thanked him for that. I would have gladly paid more if I knew I could get it done quicker.

Edit: And I could possibly be picking it up tonight and finish up with a review of the quality of work. Again, he's a great guy and seems pretty trustworthy and nobody can really compete with the pricing... just took forever!

Last edited by Cube; 07-01-2007 at 02:23 PM.
Old 07-02-2007, 05:17 AM
Clipdin
SHIFT_happens

Being a VA resident (Richmond area), I need to know who I can go to for good work since good shop are scarce around here. Thanks for posting up your feedback Cube.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:38 AM
Cube

Picked it up today. The right front wheel was makin a chirp sound and had some steering wheel vibration. When I got home I check it out and 2 of 5 lugs were finger tight, 1 was just barely more than finger tight, and the 2 others were fine.

Got a Service Engine Soon light on the way home, don't have a Cipher though. The motor seemed extremely smooth and steady. The revs drop to a very silent idle.

I feel bad for them covering some of the costs, but he's doin it to compensate for delays I guess. There's 1 small dent that I'm sure I didn't see when it left in April and I brought it up. There's a couple of things missing overall, including the battery panel.

One shop that I urge you not to go to is Custom Car Care VA, they have outrageous prices and I'm sure they're responsible for some things missing.

Overall I'm very happy with the price and the motor portion, even though there's a SES light, I'm sure it's no big deal. I'm still upset that I had to buy last minute plane tickets but oh well. There's no way I'd make a 900 mile trip the day I get the car back. And the last part about the lugs being on finger tight kinda scares me.... I don't know what to think about that. With all of that said, I do recommend Ross @ Precision, maybe I just had bad luck. I do intend on goin back for some things like a real AFR setup instead of cheese-dick PLX (supposedly +/- 1.0 AFR??? )
Old 07-02-2007, 11:42 AM
Clipdin
SHIFT_happens

Thanks Cube. Doesn't give me the warm and fuzzy I was hoping for though.
Old 07-02-2007, 02:45 PM
Zincognito

Cube, you KNOW what i have to say about all of this.....
Old 07-13-2007, 11:09 AM
Cube

I'll just update as things happen. The motor is still running perfectly smooth, but there's a Service Engine light after ~10 miles of driving. Reset it twice and it pops back up after a lil while.

Scheduled to find out what's up on Thursday the 19th along with an oil cooler.

Today I swapped out my 20's for 18's and it turns out it wasn't just the right side front that had 3/5 lugs finger-tight, but the left side as well, even after the centercap was installed.

I dropped off the FX with all 4 center caps, absolutely no dents, and a very clean (spent a whole day) engine bay, along with the battery cover. Received it with 3/4 center caps (they're still looking), a dent on the passenger side next to the hood, an engine bay that looks like it went through a rain or two (water-spots and somewhat dirty all over), finger tight lugs on both front wheels and no battery cover. Ross @ Precision said he has a battery cover for me (hopefully it's the one that probably got lost there) and that the other centercap should turn up by the time I drop it off again. Also, he's having their dent guy try to help out the new dent that I know wasn't there to start with. Will update if everything goes as planned... and if nothing goes as planned, either way, will update!

On a side note, I would NOT recommend Custom Car Care in Yorktown, they cut wires here, there, everwhere, including yanking out the fuse from my subwoofer power cable, now I have to get a new wire lug to crimp on.

Quick Reply: Is Precision Auto...