Notices
Mid-Atlantic Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Washington D.C.

SIGN PETITION to appeal VA civil fees!

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 02:37 AM
MasterRacer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FUCHAOWNAOFdaZ
Well I just got pulled over about 10 mins ago on my way home from the gym. The V1 went off indicating he was behind me which he was, he followed me all the way down home, so I kept to the speed limit, did everything right, so it happens, lights shine, he comes up to me, "do you know why I pulled you over?" "No, I don't", offc:"your speed was fine, and you did stop at all the stop signs, BUT at the red light, I saw you cross the white line by about 4 inches" yes he really said that, and the reason I crossed the white line was because the light turned yellow about 60 ft before the intersection, so I had to slam the brakes.

Long story short, he gave me a ticket for no front plate, so no points thank god...

OMFG are you kidding me???????????? WOW I would have given his dumbass some lip. What did he like whoop out a tape measurer from his F'n utility belt??? I would have been hoppin mad, I honestly can't stand stupid **** like that grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Old 07-18-2007, 08:31 AM
bboypuertoroc

Received 2,448 Likes on 1,769 Posts

Well I just got pulled over about 10 mins ago on my way home from the gym. The V1 went off indicating he was behind me which he was, he followed me all the way down home, so I kept to the speed limit, did everything right, so it happens, lights shine, he comes up to me, "do you know why I pulled you over?" "No, I don't", offc:"your speed was fine, and you did stop at all the stop signs, BUT at the red light, I saw you cross the white line by about 4 inches" yes he really said that, and the reason I crossed the white line was because the light turned yellow about 60 ft before the intersection, so I had to slam the brakes.

Long story short, he gave me a ticket for no front plate, so no points thank god...
Wow... I'd get his *** for harrassment. The ****er was just looking for any excuse he could find to pull you over. I'd like to know how he saw you go 4 inches past the line if he was behind you.

How far are cops allowed to follow you before it's considered entrapment? I know a lot of places (including here) it's one mile. Can't remember if VA has that law or not.
Old 07-18-2007, 08:43 AM
shocka04

I'm surprised they could pull you over for being a couple inches over the line. Whats the fine for no front plate in VA now, like $5000
Old 07-18-2007, 09:10 AM
MasterRacer

Originally Posted by shocka04
I'm surprised they could pull you over for being a couple inches over the line. Whats the fine for no front plate in VA now, like $5000

Probably, lol better be prepared to look at some jail time son!
You will be part of the Dynamic Duo known as "THE BUTT BROTHERS"

BTW 124,000 plus peepz signed.
Old 07-18-2007, 09:12 AM
FUCHAOWNAOFdaZ

Originally Posted by shocka04
You guys he followed me home almost all the way from the gym, which is about 7 miles. Right when I saw him, I took out my V1 and threw it in the back, I didn't do ANYTHING wrong, speed limit was 35, I was going 37, stopping completely at every stop sign, and at the last stop light, it literally went yellow right before the intersection, and I didn't wanna run the right yellow, because then he'd pull me over saying I ran a red light, which would be even worse.

And this was in FFX county, my gym is right in the heart of Fairfax
Right when I started talking, he immediately replied, you know you can argue and I can write tickets here all night, and so I just kept quiete while he explained what quote "DID WRONG". thank god he let me go with just a no plate warning which he said could be waved if I mounted a front plate and took it to court.

I don't even enjoy driving anymore, it's not even fun, you always have to worry about some douchebag pulling you over, it's like a feeling in the back of your head.
Old 07-18-2007, 09:19 AM
MasterRacer

I don't even enjoy driving anymore, it's not even fun, you always have to worry about some douchebag pulling you over, it's like a feeling in the back of your head.

I completely agree, like I said before VA is just bullying its citizens now
it's just flat out disgusting. I don't even like going past 65 anymore on 66
cause I am all paranoid bout the porkers. lol everone on the MID-A should
ride to friggin Richmond and ummm IONO rebel!!!!!!!
Old 07-18-2007, 09:56 AM
bboypuertoroc

You guys he followed me home almost all the way from the gym, which is about 7 miles. Right when I saw him, I took out my V1 and threw it in the back, I didn't do ANYTHING wrong, speed limit was 35, I was going 37, stopping completely at every stop sign, and at the last stop light, it literally went yellow right before the intersection, and I didn't wanna run the right yellow, because then he'd pull me over saying I ran a red light, which would be even worse.

And this was in FFX county, my gym is right in the heart of Fairfax
Right when I started talking, he immediately replied, you know you can argue and I can write tickets here all night, and so I just kept quiete while he explained what quote "DID WRONG". thank god he let me go with just a no plate warning which he said could be waved if I mounted a front plate and took it to court.

LOL@the bolded part... that's breaking the law right there (one that needs to be chucked along with the ***-rape fees).

7 miles is excessive. Check into the entrapment laws. And next time this happens (since FFX cops are really starting a trend), just pull into the next 7-11, McD's or whatever the first chance you get.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:23 AM
FUCHAOWNAOFdaZ

Originally Posted by bboypuertoroc
LOL@the bolded part... that's breaking the law right there (one that needs to be chucked along with the ***-rape fees).

7 miles is excessive. Check into the entrapment laws. And next time this happens (since FFX cops are really starting a trend), just pull into the next 7-11, McD's or whatever the first chance you get.
I would've if he gave me an actual ticket, but no front plate is no biggie. But it just totally ruined my night you know ?
Old 07-18-2007, 02:18 PM
4SHIZZIL

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default I feel you 110%

I would've if he gave me an actual ticket, but no front plate is no biggie. But it just totally ruined my night you know ?
6 times last year. Two tickets...60 a month insurance more now. (wife claimed a parking lot scrape).

I hate VA, if I ever get laid off from my slack azz job Im out to the stix....BFE or the MidWest.

I have been stopped this year also, not tickets, just stoped and herazzed
Old 07-18-2007, 02:46 PM
bboypuertoroc

I know the feeling. At least a front plate ticket is easy to get out of. It's just the principle of the situation.
Old 07-23-2007, 01:10 PM
MasterRacer

Guys lol this is awesome!!!!!! Front Royal is rebelling against the new
unsafe drivers fees. They are basically saying "NOT IN OUR TOWN."
It looks like that moron Tim Kain is not budging on the banning of the
law but Front Royal is not imposing the fees unless a judge sees it as
fit punishment. Kain made comment saying "Look its not going to affect
you unless you are repeat offender, a wreckless driver or drive under the influenece. This will only affect people who constantly get tickets." WTF????????? Easy to say when you can get away without paying tickets.
What a DOUCHE!
Old 07-23-2007, 07:31 PM
ZIABLO
I am Batman

vive le resistance!!
Old 08-03-2007, 10:33 AM
stein

Bad driver fees are unconstitutional, county judge says
http://content.hamptonroads.com/stor...645&ran=179689

If you do get a ticket with heavy civil fees added have your lawyer reference this judge!
Old 08-03-2007, 12:13 PM
MasterRacer

WUrd !!!!!!!!! My GFs sister got pulled over last night by some Pig in Fairfax and she was doing 65 in a 35 .............apparently the cop didn't give her a ticket because he knew that she would have to pay out the whazoooo, so shes going court with the five 0 there with her. I dono whats gonna happen but thats gonna be interesting.
Old 08-03-2007, 05:50 PM
autotrix04

I just got pulled over recently doing 17 over. it was such bs b/c i was being good going 42 in a 35 and right when it hit 25mph for a school zone on herndon pkwy right before baron cameron this cop JUMPS OUT OF THE BUSHES holding a radar gun in one hand and waving me to pull over! i was like wtf, he never even gave me a chance to slow down! luckily the cop was'nt a complete d'bag and let me off with a warning. What kind of fines am i looking at now for emissions and noise violations, anyone know?
Old 08-07-2007, 10:31 AM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Received 118 Likes on 63 Posts

I know Stein already posted this, but for the lazy:

Only in Henrico County....

http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/18/1896.asp

Virginia District Court Judge Strikes Down Ticket Tax
A Virginia general district court judge struck down as unconstitutional the fees that raised the maximum punishment for speeding to $3550.

Judge Archer YeattsIn the first case of its kind, a Henrico County General District Court judge today struck down as unconstitutional the Virginia's controversial speeding ticket tax that had been in effect since July 1. Judge Archer L. Yeatts, III ruled that the civil remedial fees violated the equal protection clause by applying additional, mandatory fines of up to $3000 on Virginia drivers, but not out-of-state drivers who may have committed the same driving violation (fee description).

"A 'dangerous' driver is a 'dangerous' driver, whether he or she is a life-long resident of Virginia or simply passing through on his or her way to another state or county," Judge Yeatts wrote. "The court rejects the speculations postulated by the commonwealth, and mindful of its obligation to do so, has exhausted its speculation quotient in trying to conceive of any others that would be a rational basis for the distinction between resident and non-resident 'dangerous drivers.'"

The state's legislative leaders quickly issued statements indicating surprise and underscoring their resolve not just to maintain the "abuser fees" but to expand them to generate additional revenue from out-of-state drivers. The move comes despite the plea of just under four percent of the state's active, registered voters who have signed a petition demanding the law's unconditional repeal (view petition).

"Whether the courts find the law constitutional or not, as a policy matter I am committed to addressing the concerns Virginians have raised about this law, including its application to out-of-state drivers," said Governor Tim Kaine (D).

Virginia Speaker William J. Howell (R) likewise stood by the fees, despite growing discontent among members of the House of Delegates. (View a list of delegates calling for repeal of the fees.)

"I am surprised by today's holding in the Henrico County District Court," Howell said. "Prior to its passage by overwhelming bipartisan majorities of the legislature on April 4 of this year, the legislation was thoroughly and painstakingly reviewed by both the Kaine Administration and the Office of the Attorney General, among other legal experts."

Today's court decision only applies to motorists stopped in Henrico County. Other jurisdictions will continue to collect the fees unless an appeals court or the state supreme court issues a ruling that matches the conclusion reached by Judge Yeatts. A similar battle over a window tinting law in Georgia ended in 2004 with that state's supreme court striking down a law that only applied a punishment to in-state drivers, in the same way as Virginia's civil remedial fees.

"The distinction drawn by the statute violates the constitutional guarantee of equal protection of the laws because it distinguishes between similarly situated persons, drivers of cars registered in Georgia, on a basis which bears no reasonable relation to the purpose of the statute," the Georgia court wrote.
Old 08-07-2007, 04:51 PM
MasterRacer

Originally Posted by autotrix04
I just got pulled over recently doing 17 over. it was such bs b/c i was being good going 42 in a 35 and right when it hit 25mph for a school zone on herndon pkwy right before baron cameron this cop JUMPS OUT OF THE BUSHES holding a radar gun in one hand and waving me to pull over! i was like wtf, he never even gave me a chance to slow down! luckily the cop was'nt a complete d'bag and let me off with a warning. What kind of fines am i looking at now for emissions and noise violations, anyone know?

You should be fine, neither of those are moving violations.
Are you running w/o cats, test pipes??? Thats the only way it
would be obvious to one of those idiots that you have emissions issues.
Unless he can prove that u didnt have on Cat converters at time you were
pulled over he cand to much but the fees are mighty hefty if you get caught w/o them. Good luck dude!
Old 08-08-2007, 07:28 AM
MasterRacer

http://www.nbc4.com/news/13847323/de...=headlineclick

Check this out guys!
Old 08-08-2007, 07:35 AM
Shabba2

Originally Posted by 03threefiftyz
I know Stein already posted this, but for the lazy:

Only in Henrico County....

http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/18/1896.asp

Virginia District Court Judge Strikes Down Ticket Tax
A Virginia general district court judge struck down as unconstitutional the fees that raised the maximum punishment for speeding to $3550.

Judge Archer YeattsIn the first case of its kind, a Henrico County General District Court judge today struck down as unconstitutional the Virginia's controversial speeding ticket tax that had been in effect since July 1. Judge Archer L. Yeatts, III ruled that the civil remedial fees violated the equal protection clause by applying additional, mandatory fines of up to $3000 on Virginia drivers, but not out-of-state drivers who may have committed the same driving violation (fee description).

"A 'dangerous' driver is a 'dangerous' driver, whether he or she is a life-long resident of Virginia or simply passing through on his or her way to another state or county," Judge Yeatts wrote. "The court rejects the speculations postulated by the commonwealth, and mindful of its obligation to do so, has exhausted its speculation quotient in trying to conceive of any others that would be a rational basis for the distinction between resident and non-resident 'dangerous drivers.'"

The state's legislative leaders quickly issued statements indicating surprise and underscoring their resolve not just to maintain the "abuser fees" but to expand them to generate additional revenue from out-of-state drivers. The move comes despite the plea of just under four percent of the state's active, registered voters who have signed a petition demanding the law's unconditional repeal (view petition).

"Whether the courts find the law constitutional or not, as a policy matter I am committed to addressing the concerns Virginians have raised about this law, including its application to out-of-state drivers," said Governor Tim Kaine (D).

Virginia Speaker William J. Howell (R) likewise stood by the fees, despite growing discontent among members of the House of Delegates. (View a list of delegates calling for repeal of the fees.)

"I am surprised by today's holding in the Henrico County District Court," Howell said. "Prior to its passage by overwhelming bipartisan majorities of the legislature on April 4 of this year, the legislation was thoroughly and painstakingly reviewed by both the Kaine Administration and the Office of the Attorney General, among other legal experts."

Today's court decision only applies to motorists stopped in Henrico County. Other jurisdictions will continue to collect the fees unless an appeals court or the state supreme court issues a ruling that matches the conclusion reached by Judge Yeatts. A similar battle over a window tinting law in Georgia ended in 2004 with that state's supreme court striking down a law that only applied a punishment to in-state drivers, in the same way as Virginia's civil remedial fees.

"The distinction drawn by the statute violates the constitutional guarantee of equal protection of the laws because it distinguishes between similarly situated persons, drivers of cars registered in Georgia, on a basis which bears no reasonable relation to the purpose of the statute," the Georgia court wrote.
Although I cannot comment on specifics because I work DIRECTLY for Henrico County and the District Court specifically (and that means I fall under Judge Yeats as well) , I will say that it is good to live in Henrico for the time being. Many of my police buddies have already said they will not issue tickets because of this... The word in the courthouse is that the civil penalties will not stand since most of the judges won't impose them.
Old 08-08-2007, 07:39 AM
dutchboy350Z
Finally some go

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Shabba2
Although I cannot comment on specifics because I work DIRECTLY for Henrico County and the District Court specifically (and that means I fall under Judge Yeats as well) , I will say that it is good to live in Henrico for the time being. Many of my police buddies have already said they will not issue tickets because of this... The word in the courthouse is that the civil penalties will not stand since most of the judges won't impose them.
They should be commended.

Quick Reply: SIGN PETITION to appeal VA civil fees!