Notices
Mid-Atlantic Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Washington D.C.

AAM Experience Review

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2007 | 12:19 PM
shocka04

Originally Posted by DROPPEDIT2WCE
I just don't see the need to keep bashing anymore, let people make thier own choice and find out that way.
I agree with you about the bashing but at the same time, people should be aware of what has happened. If I'm getting ripped off by a shop than I would want you all to know to make sure it doesnt happen to anyone else. This example is in no relation to AAM, just an example.

And in reference to the price of this hobby, yes people shouldnt complain about modding and what happens from modding. but a shop should take responsibility if it is their fault for problems occuring.
Old 11-15-2007 | 12:21 PM
4SHIZZIL

Originally Posted by shocka04
I agree with you... If I'm getting ripped off by a shop than I would want you all to know to make sure it doesnt happen to anyone else. This example is in no relation to AAM, just an example.

Then do like most of us and do a simple search for good shops, experiences etc...no need to beat the horse...it hasnt had a pulse for over a year and a half.

I am not defending any shop...I just dislike negative people.
Old 11-15-2007 | 12:34 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Clint@Altered
First, before I say anything, thanks for the comments everyone.

Alberto, thanks for the comments (and nice car by the way. I heard you got into it on 66 with on of our JWT700 cars, time to upgrade him to the 850BBs!). However, my employment circumstances are different. I have a long history with this company, going on 10 years. My second tenure here came with no surprises - I know the company and the aftermarket industry well. I understand where you are coming from, but there's no reason to feel bad for me.

Also, Frank is awesome. This morning, I took the opportunity to speak to Frank and Mike, from what I understand, Frank, Mike, and Randy all stayed late to help you out that Friday evening, which I think is commendable. And in reference to the incorrect used part, although I was not there, after speaking to everyone, I think everyone's intentions were honest and continued to be when we took them back.

For somebody under sponsorship to be charged $60 for a 10 minute plug swap is a joke. That is not taking care of customers, I even offered to do it myself if I could borrow tools. I was thinking "wow this is nice of Frank and Mike for doing this for me" The car was to be shown the following day at the BBQ-it was in their interest to also have it running not just mine. Then I get a bill for plugs, and labor as if I had just walked in asking for a job I did buy Frank a 6 pack of beer though, he is a genuinly nice guy.

Thing is, and I think this is why you have such non stop negative press IMO. Every shop fawks up, its how they take care of it that shows people what they are made of. AAM unfortunately fawk'ed with too many people, almost a common occurance, and that is why people wont go back OR refer people to them AND bash those that do go. Why should I give somebody a second chance with so much money, when I can to to shop XXXX and get it done right the first time? Regarding my "beef", its not with you, Frank, or Randy, it is with Mike. He is not an honest person, I remember sitting in my car seeing 90+% on the injector duty cycle on the UTEC log and asking Mike "and these are 550's, how can they be running such high injector cycles?" He paused, looked me in the eye and said "yeah blah blah", I didnt buy it at the moment but gave him the benefit of the doubt. I knew it couldnt be but let it go. Later when I pulled the plenum off they were USED bosch injectors from an APS kit not NEW RC's like was stated in a contract. If he can look me (Im no newb) in the eye and lie or at least not investigate into what I asked he'd do it in a heartbeat to anybody else.

He also treated me like a newb when I went to AAM/Mike my "sponsor" for an engine build when my motor blew. I SPECIFICALLY asked for certain parts and prices, I got a build list completely different with inferior parts and higher prices than other places. Again-if they treat me like this who else? Mike knows my issues, its far from the point of being fixable. Telling people time after time "we will take care of you" doesnt cut it in this business, word of mouth is "good" with the close members of the Mid-A.

I could get into many more things, but I will not, this is just a flavor of MY experience at AAM, while you make it seem that that night everybody was out to help me, only one guy really was, and his name wasnt Mike or Randy. Now you have an idea of why I personally wouldnt send anybody to AAM.

Good luck in the future, the in house engine machining should take care of many issues. I hope you take care of that guy in the G btw, he told me about his car but I wont post about others business publically. Id honestly be impressed if you took care of that guy-and you know what I mean when I say that. I have kept my mouth shut for a long time(and still am about many things) because I feel like the constant bashing isnt good for anybody.

/Rant-you wont hear anymore AAM experiences from me.

Last edited by Alberto; 11-15-2007 at 12:36 PM.
Old 11-15-2007 | 12:39 PM
DROPPEDIT2WCE
Banned

Originally Posted by shocka04
I agree with you about the bashing but at the same time, people should be aware of what has happened. If I'm getting ripped off by a shop than I would want you all to know to make sure it doesnt happen to anyone else. This example is in no relation to AAM, just an example.

And in reference to the price of this hobby, yes people shouldnt complain about modding and what happens from modding. but a shop should take responsibility if it is their fault for problems occuring.

Agreed %100, there are shops that now offer stock block warranties on FI systems. I feel that these warranties are because of the incedences metioned in the past. However most "bad" experiences happend when the VQ was very new to the market. Since then much research has been done and new information has been discovered about our cars; so shops now and only now can offer these types of warranties without having to close up shop due to massive failures on multiple engines and major profit losses.

I still feel that unless you are going to be doing a FI system with a warranty, than you are the person that is %110 responsible for any damage to your vehicle. you are the one that gives the OK for the work/tuning/etc. being done...
Old 11-15-2007 | 12:40 PM
TENGAI

Good points Corey.

I think about it this way - rebuilding a reputation is probably one of the hardest things to do in business. The problem in THIS business is that most shops have but a small window of opportunity to make a reputation and build a stable foundation for years to come. Others will come and go as platforms change and interest in the market shifts from one car to the next. AAM started with the 3SI community, and moved into the VQ community as market interest shifted. Nothing wrong there. BUT unfortunately, most of us have heard horror stories about AAM from when they were involved in the 3SI community as well. Stories that mirror some of the problems they have faced in the VQ community. What's concerning is that while employees have moved in and out of AAM over the years, the problems have remained consistent... Why is this the case if in deed all the problems were related to bad apples in AAM’s staff?

I don’t want to turn this into a rant, and I too am hopeful that AAM is going in a positive direction, but I wouldn't bet the farm just yet. The jury is still out for the most part, and will continue to be.

What AAM needs to do is simply give it time and expect criticism. Post up your success stories. And make 'em good. Not just brake jobs... If you expect people to support your new direction, then provide adequate proof that you guys can in fact deliver strong, reliable, quality parts and services at competitive rates.

The proof is in the pudding.
Old 11-15-2007 | 12:47 PM
4SHIZZIL

Originally Posted by TENGAI
The proof is in the pudding.[/COLOR]
I like Jello!

lol

Good post, very tasteful and profession..You too Alberto...see you can voice your opinion and still look smart...my hats off to both of you for showing us how to express yourself in a professional manner.

4shizzil for President
TENGAI for Vice President
Alberto for Boost of the Year, I mean Attorney Gerneral. (Gonzales screwed this up for the Latinos..my old boss) +, If a black man is president..hmmmm...

edit...

TENGAI for President
Alberto for VICE President
4Shizzil for 1st Janitor on staff!

LOL

Last edited by 4SHIZZIL; 11-15-2007 at 12:49 PM.
Old 11-15-2007 | 12:50 PM
TENGAI

I concede. I want no part of this political cluster f'k.... I'll gladly mop the floors and watch from the sidelines
Old 11-15-2007 | 12:56 PM
shocka04

Originally Posted by TENGAI
Good points Corey.

I think about it this way - rebuilding a reputation is probably one of the hardest things to do in business. The problem in THIS business is that most shops have but a small window of opportunity to make a reputation and build a stable foundation for years to come. Others will come and go as platforms change and interest in the market shifts from one car to the next. AAM started with the 3SI community, and moved into the VQ community as market interest shifted. Nothing wrong there. BUT unfortunately, most of us have heard horror stories about AAM from when they were involved in the 3SI community as well. Stories that mirror some of the problems they have faced in the VQ community. What's concerning is that while employees have moved in and out of AAM over the years, the problems have remained consistent... Why is this the case if in deed all the problems were related to bad apples in AAM’s staff?

I don’t want to turn this into a rant, and I too am hopeful that AAM is going in a positive direction, but I wouldn't bet the farm just yet. The jury is still out for the most part, and will continue to be.

What AAM needs to do is simply give it time and expect criticism. Post up your success stories. And make 'em good. Not just brake jobs... If you expect people to support your new direction, then provide adequate proof that you guys can in fact deliver strong, reliable, quality parts and services at competitive rates.

The proof is in the pudding.
+1
Old 11-15-2007 | 12:58 PM
Eric the Ricer
Banned

ahn = pwnage on spddmn124

Can't wait for the exhaust Clint!
Old 11-15-2007 | 01:02 PM
BestThreadEver

Originally Posted by 4SHIZZIL
Then do like most of us and do a simple search for good shops, experiences etc...no need to beat the horse...it hasnt had a pulse for over a year and a half.

I am not defending any shop...I just dislike negative people.
Most new people to this site do not use the search button. Thats why they are alwase on here asking what shop to go to.
Old 11-15-2007 | 01:27 PM
abui01

Originally Posted by 4SHIZZIL
TENGAI for President
Alberto for VICE President
4Shizzil for 1st Janitor on staff!
Can I be the chef? I can flip burgers n serve fries pretty well
Old 11-15-2007 | 01:31 PM
Eric the Ricer
Banned

I want in too, I've learned that I can answer phones really well...

In an building full of senior nco's its my job

A1C for secretary!
Old 11-15-2007 | 02:34 PM
superchargedg
Damn Noobs

Originally Posted by Alberto
For somebody under sponsorship to be charged $60 for a 10 minute plug swap is a joke. That is not taking care of customers, I even offered to do it myself if I could borrow tools. I was thinking "wow this is nice of Frank and Mike for doing this for me" The car was to be shown the following day at the BBQ-it was in their interest to also have it running not just mine. Then I get a bill for plugs, and labor as if I had just walked in asking for a job I did buy Frank a 6 pack of beer though, he is a genuinly nice guy.

Thing is, and I think this is why you have such non stop negative press IMO. Every shop fawks up, its how they take care of it that shows people what they are made of. AAM unfortunately fawk'ed with too many people, almost a common occurance, and that is why people wont go back OR refer people to them AND bash those that do go. Why should I give somebody a second chance with so much money, when I can to to shop XXXX and get it done right the first time? Regarding my "beef", its not with you, Frank, or Randy, it is with Mike. He is not an honest person, I remember sitting in my car seeing 90+% on the injector duty cycle on the UTEC log and asking Mike "and these are 550's, how can they be running such high injector cycles?" He paused, looked me in the eye and said "yeah blah blah", I didnt buy it at the moment but gave him the benefit of the doubt. I knew it couldnt be but let it go. Later when I pulled the plenum off they were USED bosch injectors from an APS kit not NEW RC's like was stated in a contract. If he can look me (Im no newb) in the eye and lie or at least not investigate into what I asked he'd do it in a heartbeat to anybody else.

He also treated me like a newb when I went to AAM/Mike my "sponsor" for an engine build when my motor blew. I SPECIFICALLY asked for certain parts and prices, I got a build list completely different with inferior parts and higher prices than other places. Again-if they treat me like this who else? Mike knows my issues, its far from the point of being fixable. Telling people time after time "we will take care of you" doesnt cut it in this business, word of mouth is "good" with the close members of the Mid-A.

I could get into many more things, but I will not, this is just a flavor of MY experience at AAM, while you make it seem that that night everybody was out to help me, only one guy really was, and his name wasnt Mike or Randy. Now you have an idea of why I personally wouldnt send anybody to AAM.

Good luck in the future, the in house engine machining should take care of many issues. I hope you take care of that guy in the G btw, he told me about his car but I wont post about others business publically. Id honestly be impressed if you took care of that guy-and you know what I mean when I say that. I have kept my mouth shut for a long time(and still am about many things) because I feel like the constant bashing isnt good for anybody.

/Rant-you wont hear anymore AAM experiences from me.
Well i hate to say this but.......................................ouch.And i do understand bert,s view of this.
Old 11-15-2007 | 03:29 PM
terps

AAM is like 5 minutes from my house and I have made numerous stops there in the past considering my FI install. the way the shop WAS run, I walked out and wrote them off and went to a reputable shop that actually showed interest in the install. However, a few weeks ago I went in there since my friend went to AMS for some brake work on his evo, and I needed to get some motul. the experience was unheard of from AAM. I got a great deal on the motul and oil filter and my friend got an hks filter for the beehive on his evo for like 3 dollars. Not to mention we were attended to, not dicked with. I will say I do think mike and clint, from what I've seen are stepping up there customer support( which was trash before) and there build shop seems nice. However, I still question them till I've seen or hear positive feedback from there builds. regardless of how the shop was run in the past, AAM needs a little bit of a break to prove themsleves. I've done some shitty work before, and as I've become more expiranced my work quality has increased. if I was judged based on past work( as fair as it may be), my work now is different. But I wouldn't give them my car to be there guinny pig.

edit... I havnt read everypost so my statement might hing on AAM's forum conduct. if there being dicks, apparently things might have not changed...

Last edited by terps; 11-15-2007 at 03:34 PM.
Old 11-15-2007 | 05:25 PM
BestThreadEver

They have had 10 years to clean up their act, I dont think its going to happen.
Old 11-15-2007 | 06:10 PM
bb1314
da Terminator!

John from AAM was super doper nice, professional and took care of what I ordered. I think it's obvious that the problem here is not the employees. Maybe it's the employer?!
Old 11-15-2007 | 06:14 PM
BestThreadEver

Originally Posted by bb1314
John from AAM was super doper nice, professional and took care of what I ordered. I think it's obvious that the problem here is not the employees. Maybe it's the employer?!

DING DING DING!!!!!!!!!Now if Mike could just figure that out...
Old 11-15-2007 | 06:37 PM
Gooey

Old 11-15-2007 | 08:00 PM
UMW350Z

All this is really interesting from my standpoint coming from two types of shops. I worked for NTB for 4 years in college to pay the bills and then a quick quick stint at an independent shop. The differences were amazing as far as customer service between the two. At the independent shop, the focus was customer ONLY. You got the job done right and any comebacks (of which there were very very very few) were handled immeadeatly without question. At NTB, a corporate store, it was all about money, customer service was second. Don't get me wrong, the Fredericksburg NTB is still THE place in the area for custom rims getting done right (in the right person's hands of course), but the customer service was secondary.

From ALL of the threads i have read, it seems as though AAM misjudged their market a couple years back and didn't realize it was as tight knit as it is. The independent shop i worked at knew this, and could not/cannot afford one angry customer, everyone was treated fairly to draw return busniess, and it works! NTB was not like this....even if someone left pissed, and it wasn't handled right away or the best way, there were too many other people that honestly...it didn't matter anywhere near as much.

I like what AAM is doing to recoup their image, once they realize what my old shop realized, they will become truely successful in all sense of the word. Unfortunately, the pissed-off old customers will have to die off before all negative press falls off

Kudos to clint for staying cool through the negatives.

It is amazing how these shops live and die by the internet..to a degree. F:T, for example, seems to know whats going on, good work, and good CS. I think ol' Dave-o may have learned from his alma mater's mistakes (maybe i can get some free brakes for the +++ press?? yea?? no? damn) .

No one can please everyone 100% of the time...too err is human.
Old 11-16-2007 | 04:29 AM
bigslim350Z

Originally Posted by terps
AAM is like 5 minutes from my house and I have made numerous stops there in the past considering my FI install. the way the shop WAS run, I walked out and wrote them off and went to a reputable shop that actually showed interest in the install. However, a few weeks ago I went in there since my friend went to AMS for some brake work on his evo, and I needed to get some motul. the experience was unheard of from AAM. I got a great deal on the motul and oil filter and my friend got an hks filter for the beehive on his evo for like 3 dollars. Not to mention we were attended to, not dicked with. I will say I do think mike and clint, from what I've seen are stepping up there customer support( which was trash before) and there build shop seems nice. However, I still question them till I've seen or hear positive feedback from there builds. regardless of how the shop was run in the past, AAM needs a little bit of a break to prove themsleves. I've done some shitty work before, and as I've become more expiranced my work quality has increased. if I was judged based on past work( as fair as it may be), my work now is different. But I wouldn't give them my car to be there guinny pig.

edit... I havnt read everypost so my statement might hing on AAM's forum conduct. if there being dicks, apparently things might have not changed...

I wonder how much a guinnea pig fully assembled in house machined unsleeved short block could run.
$1500?

(All final assembly (heads, cams, intake, ect) and installation done by me of course.)