Notices
Mid-Atlantic Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Washington D.C.

Function:TUNED: We tattle on ourselves...

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 09:37 PM
DaveFunction2ND
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Function:TUNED: We tattle on ourselves...

Hey Everyone!

I came across the unique opportunity to really show you what Function:TUNED is about. I am one who goes by the adage:

"Actions Speak Louder then Words"

So I'm here to back my belief up. I'm here to actually tell on myself in a way. There was a recent install done to a prominent member’s car that he had some issues with. Unfortunately I did not have the chance to rectify the issues or even investigate them because he has moved on to new options. On a side note his car did run EXCELENTLY up until when his new setup was installed.

First many of you have not met me. Those of you that have but only momentarily, I haven't had the chance to express my business ethics and beliefs. So here it is, in writing, for everyone to see!

My Beliefs and How I run Function:TUNED Everyday:

1 - The customer - you - many of whom I know personally and consider close friends - are my MOST important asset. Without you Function:TUNED does not exist.

2 - It is my responsibility, Function:TUNED's responsibility - to PROVE to you that we are worthy of working on your car and that you can trust our workmanship, follow-up and support after we have complete work on your car.

3 - We are human and we do not always do things perfectly, but we will ALWAYS take responsibility and work to fix any problems or issues you have with your car or the work we did to it if something does happen. If its costs us money or time for us to get something right that should have been done right in the first place then that is what we, I will do. If it costs you money or time or energy we will always try to reimburse you in some way shape or form.

4 - We are always open to constructive criticism and input from our customers as to how we can be even better! I truly understand that I cannot see the company or its workmanship from an outside view. I NEED you all to help me make this a better company.

5 - Function:TUNED is a CONSULTING company that offers installation services. We do not take short term short cuts to easy sales. In the long run that will only create a disappointed customer and friend. I always try to align myself to the customer’s goals both now and in the future.

6 - There are many more but these preceding 5 are the key ingredients to making this company work best for the Z/G community.

So now to the good part!

This is how we, actually me personally as I did the entire install, messed up.

I installed a Vortech SC, Function:TUNED Stage .5 Return Fuel Solution, UTEC, Injectors, and some accessories on Pun1sh3RZ (Bryce's) 06 350Z in the beginning of August. There was a small issue with one of the cam solenoid wires being pinched when I installed the front plate on the car. I informed him of this and soldered the wires together. Nothing was damaged electronically and everything functioned properly.

Also during the install of the Return Fuel Solution the return line from the kit got twisted around a sharp bend while attempting to maintain the most OEM type appearance and routing as humanly possible. Because this line is teflon (basically a hard plastic - not rigid though) line it got kinked. This kink caused a permanent crease in the line. The crease cannot be removed unfortunately but it does not affect the integrity of the line. I pressed the crease out as much as possible. Since this is the return line there were no concerns for the safety of the motor. The return line is only a transfer pipe to bring fuel back to the tank after it has passed over the injectors.

Here are some pictures of the fuel system. As you can see the kink is minor and again his car ran FLAWLESSLY until it went under the knife to have the parts removed and a new system installed.

Pun1sh3RZ (Bryce) also mentioned another wiring issue in his PM's to me but was unable to clarify or provide pictures. If there is an issue I will try my best to compensate Pun1sh3RZ (Bryce) for any additional work that needed to be done to rectify the issue.

So Where's the ACTION!

Even though we were not able to repair our issue we will be sending Bryce an offer to purchase the fuel system back from him. To make sure there are no concerns we will be installing this exact fuel system on our race car which will be campaigned through 3+ track events this season.

BTW - Here are the PM's between the Pun1sh3RZ (Bryce) and I when he mentioned this issue.

Originally Posted by Pun1sh3RZ
Originally Posted by DaveFunction2ND
Originally Posted by Pun1sh3RZ
hey man I wanted to come up and talk to you about everything but time just didn't permit that to happen. The supercharger is off the car now, found a few issues that gave me great concern. The fuel return was crimped in few places which rendered it useless and could have been a huge problem down the road. Also, the wiring for the car was burnt down to the wires and was just a matter of days until that was snapped and car would have been dead. I am not going to tell anyone else just wanted to let you know for future installs just beware of these issues. Hope everything is going well at the auto show and good luck with everything man.
-Bryce
Thanks for the heads up. Where was the fuel return crimped at? Did you get a chance to take pics? I know one wire on the front was damaged when I originally installed the front plate but I had mentioned that to you.

I appreciate your willingness to be discrete about things but you know how I am man. Very open. If I messed up I messed up. I'll fix it. I think everyone realizes that no one is perfect and its more about how the issue is dealt with and my willingness to take care of it immediately that matter.

I need to know SPECIFICALLY what areas of damage you're talking about since I personally installed everything. That way I can avoid it in the future.
I'll get pictures to you as soon as possible, i'll just e-mail them to you. Everything is already off the car so there is not much fixing to do really. Just glad nothing bad before I got a chance to remove the supercharger and components. And I know how you are and that is why I felt the need to keep this discrete b/c you are a great guy and trying to make a living. I know how anything of this matter can be devastating to a company, there is a matter I wanted to discuss with you in person and its nothing bad just something better in person which will be public but want is between you and I till then. Thanks again man and i'll be in touch
-Bryce

Last edited by DaveFunction2ND; 01-30-2008 at 09:41 PM.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:49 PM
jeffie7

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You run things the way I run things, thankfully when I mess up its only 10-20 minutes to fix and only a few dollars worth of damage, but I always take fault if I know I messed up.

FWIW I plan on doing my own FI install but have had you guys in mind for tuning.

I'm looking forward to it.

on another note, do you happen to have a rear end laying around? I'm in need of one.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:04 PM
Lawy'dU

you are definitely building my trust. I'll bring my car to you to work on this summer if i'm back home in D.C. again.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:08 PM
redman333

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wish all shops ran like yours. It would make the world work much smoother.
Old 01-31-2008, 01:23 AM
Eric the Ricer
Banned

Originally Posted by jeffie7
on another note, do you happen to have a rear end laying around? I'm in need of one.
Dave is always willing to lend you his rear end

+1 to what everybody has already said, we need more businesses like this
Old 01-31-2008, 01:32 AM
citymunky

Originally Posted by jeffie7
FWIW I plan on doing my own FI install but have had you guys in mind for tuning.

I'm looking forward to it.
Me too
Old 01-31-2008, 02:22 AM
bigslim350Z

I am also very impressed with the work and customer service with function tuned. Dave just installed a JWT twin turbo kit on my car.
Since I purchased the kit used Dave kept me updated when he ran into any issues with parts or fitment on the car as well as kept me updated on how the project was progressing throughout the install. In addition, he took the time when I came down to pick the car up to explain how the setup worked as well as the new EVC boost controller that I picked up.
Before leaving he made sure after him and me taking a few passes outside the shop on the street that everying was working up to standards. I must say that I'm extremely happy with his work and my new setup and will gladly return for any work that I have to do in the future.
Old 01-31-2008, 02:39 AM
MasterRacer

We appreciate your honesty, it goes a looooooooooooooong way
Old 01-31-2008, 03:24 AM
KManZ
Banned

If I went FI, there is only one place I would go.
Old 01-31-2008, 04:35 AM
superchargedg
Damn Noobs

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will be down there today as i trust daves work and his work ethics completely.He runs his shop the way i run the one i work for.
Old 01-31-2008, 04:50 AM
shocka04

Dave is always doing the right thing. I remember one time I came down to visit the shop and I got a little of that speech about the customers.
Old 01-31-2008, 04:56 AM
HKS-Z
Backroad Pro

Trust..I drove 2hour to get a gasket from you guys!I really want to get the motordyne iso thermal lower collector-so you will be seeing me in my car soon(no lexus this time)
Old 01-31-2008, 04:57 AM
Driven1
Professional

This is EXACTLY why my car went to Function:TUNED for my complete build. When we are willing to spend such a large amount of money on our cars we are putting ourselves at risk, a risk that at times may make you second guess given it's implications if something were to go wrong. Our cars are our passion and for many of us a huge part of our lives socially and for some financially. It is a peace of mind that something you truely care for and have a passion for is in good hands and will be treated as you would treat it yourself that helps some of us sleep at night

For all who don't know what I do for a living I help my father and his partner run a fairly large private Land Development company in the Mid-Atlantic and east coast. In our company we live by "Relationship Real Estate" practices. Through moral and ethical practices, regardless of their financial standings (to a certain extent) our end goal is to provide the BEST product to our end consumer. In the end, some you win some you don't, but through relationships built with our customers and contractors we are able to still operate and run strong through this difficult time in our market while others have fallen mercy to the seemingly endless financial burden and are now either sold or bankrupt.

It is examples like this that still give me confidence that there are TRUELY good people in this world who are not always so consumed with themselves and are willing to go that extra mile (if possible) to make things right even if they may or may not be wrong.

As Dave said, no one is perfect. imho, it is those who are willing to admit that they or something is wrong and take action who will make it in this world. $hit happens folks. It is what it is.

Bravo Dave, Bravo. This is what separates the best from the rest.

Last edited by Driven1; 01-31-2008 at 05:13 AM.
Old 01-31-2008, 04:58 AM
MrKaira
Really MrZ31

That's just good business ethics. Its hard to find people that will willingly admit that they messed up *cough*company i work for*cough*

I will be the operating partner in a non-car related business within the next 7-8 months, and it is nice to see someone else out there that is open and honest like Dave!

I'll have some stuff for you sometime soon Dave. I'm selling the car you all did the cam install on, and buying a pretty reputable Z. I'd like to get some tuning done, but it may be a while before I can get up there.
Old 01-31-2008, 05:05 AM
jumpin800agl
8 to 11

This is what separates regular shops from great shops. It all comes down to customer service. Props to Dave and Function Tuned.
Old 01-31-2008, 05:18 AM
Z_Monzter

Nicely done Dave...Function Tuned...FTMFW.
Old 01-31-2008, 05:33 AM
617G

It's definitely noble of you to post this up, but I don't see what the big deal is. Not to take away from the thread, but shouldn't all businesses operate like this? I know my shop does...

To me, it just seems like you're trying to glorify yourself

Last edited by 617G; 01-31-2008 at 05:52 AM.
Old 01-31-2008, 05:39 AM
blueper4mancez

wow dave i didn't know you have been going through all this . anyways my greddy tt was installed and tuned at FUNCTION TUNED. it's been almost a year 0 issues ( knock on wood ) . coming back for a 10psi tune before zdayz. good luck to you dave and function tuned .
Old 01-31-2008, 05:48 AM
mdracer76
Banned

We all make mistakes, and how you deal with them, makes you the man that you are!

Good Job Dave!

That is why Dave is allowed to work on my Z, and other shops.. are told to GTFO.
Old 01-31-2008, 05:49 AM
TeAm PrOSpEc
Banned

Well I'm glad to see that there is a shop out there that can do some good work. A couple of years ago I ran into major issues with a shop called PRO MOTION TUNNING and if there’s any customers in here from their shop your stupid *** hell for trusting them with your car. Lets just say 3 motors, 2 turbos, 2 ECU’s and about 8 grand later I decided to do the damn thing myself; but with that being said. Dave if I run into a issue that I cant fix myself or a FI setup I cant install myself, your shop will be my first stop. Word of mouth is everything!

Quick Reply: Function:TUNED: We tattle on ourselves...