Notices
Mid-Atlantic Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Washington D.C.

Tuner in Baltimore

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 10:29 AM
bigslim350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Alberto
Nice choice David, although launching will be slightly trickier with the light FW.

Corey-regarding that old post on the 12:1 A/F being too lean, I wanted to add...

if for example your car at 3000rpm's getting into boost was at 12:1 A/F that is ok. Ideally you dont want something like that near redline or especially TQ peak. The guy who posted that was right, but likely didnt realize that your loads/boost levels down low arent like a turbo car. Glad to see your so happy with your set-up. I always said if my stock block setup hadnt blown up, I would have never built my car, it was the perfect amount of 100% usable power for the street.

+1 reading around the forum....people who have built their cars seem to run into alot more problems / maintainence issues. stock block (400 whp) seems fine for the street.
Old 09-22-2008, 10:59 AM
4SHIZZIL

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Alberto
Nice choice David, although launching will be slightly trickier with the light FW.

Corey-regarding that old post on the 12:1 A/F being too lean, I wanted to add...

if for example your car at 3000rpm's getting into boost was at 12:1 A/F that is ok. Ideally you dont want something like that near redline or especially TQ peak. The guy who posted that was right, but likely didnt realize that your loads/boost levels down low arent like a turbo car. Glad to see your so happy with your set-up. I always said if my stock block setup hadnt blown up, I would have never built my car, it was the perfect amount of 100% usable power for the street.
Well put man...yeah I here that even running 11psi the vortech tq levels are still waay lower than the average TT set up. I dont plan on building the car and considering the kid is on the way, the car should last longer now. I think daily driving doesnt hurt the car,it hurts the driver. We get use to the power and start running it harder and harder... until pop!

Thanks for the feedback...My A/F stay around 11.4-11.8 from 2500 to redline!
Old 09-23-2008, 07:23 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The new clutch-flywheel is done. On the way from the shop to work I stalled the car 3 times. The clutch grabs hard. Its either fully engaged or fully disengaged. I suspect that members with aftermarket clutch-flywheel know the experience.

This is a little scary. I guess it will take some getting used to.
Old 09-23-2008, 07:33 AM
4SHIZZIL

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by davidv
The new clutch-flywheel is done. On the way from the shop to work I stalled the car 3 times. The clutch grabs hard. Its either fully engaged or fully disengaged. I suspect that members with aftermarket clutch-flywheel know the experience.

This is a little scary. I guess it will take some getting used to.

LOL

yeah MDRacer still kills his from time to time and he has had his set up for some time now...

how does she grab from 1st to 2nd under load though?
Old 09-23-2008, 07:43 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 4SHIZZIL
LOL

yeah MDRacer still kills his from time to time and he has had his set up for some time now...

how does she grab from 1st to 2nd under load though?
First to second gear is OK. You have to use a little finesse with the accelerator or the car bucks like a bronco.
Old 09-23-2008, 08:37 AM
bigslim350Z

Originally Posted by davidv
First to second gear is OK. You have to use a little finesse with the accelerator or the car bucks like a bronco.
so that's why they said to avoid the puck design. There is little to no middle ground, you have full engagement or disengagement making daily driving suck. Ask Anh who has the Clutchmasters stage 4 setup which I think has a 4 puck disk.

Makes me appreciate my JWT setup. The car feels like stock only the clutch pedal won't stick to the floor during quarter mile pulls.
Old 09-24-2008, 07:04 AM
Integrity
Banned

Davidv, if this becomes a pain in the *** for you and makes daily driving the car too difficult, you may want to switch to the JWT. Like Slim says, it feels like stock only stronger. A stage 4 clutch at your power level may be a little overkill.