Notices
Mid-Atlantic Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Washington D.C.

CvD's Vortech Thread ..

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 07:01 AM
Car vs. Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Forgot to add the first start up video. I let my son start it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5XX-ppBvgo
Old 11-03-2008, 07:44 AM
sajazzman007
DIY'er Unite

Originally Posted by Car vs. Driver
Forgot to add the first start up video. I let my son start it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5XX-ppBvgo
Thats the sound of victory right there. I remember the first time I cranked mine. I was alil nervous because I thought it was going to explode since I done it myself but then I was chill when I didn't hear and explosion and the sweet sound of the vortech. Congrats.
Old 11-03-2008, 07:58 AM
Car vs. Driver

Tell me about it, I was jittery as hell to start it; then absolutely elated once it fired right up and idled smoothly. I just need to get a good base map from Dave so I can drive it out to his shop for my tune. His place is about 130 miles away

I still have some more misc things to do, need to make sure all the wiring and such is neatly tucked away from everything, put the under tray back on, straighten out the splitter .. blah, blah.
Old 11-03-2008, 02:58 PM
superchargedg
Damn Noobs

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The sweet sound of success.......................it fired right up.
Old 11-03-2008, 04:19 PM
350z006

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

CONGRATS!!

I just installed mine last week too for my revup, with a 2.87 pulley...but I installed it w/ 440cc injectors...big mistake if you want 400hp without fuel return, since I'm leaning out past 6000 rpm, so my hp is currently 380hp at 6000rpm...I'm getting 650cc RC's to help fix that leaness...

Did you follow phunk's DIY for the Walbro install?

And what are your goals for hp?
Old 11-03-2008, 04:24 PM
Car vs. Driver

Agreed on the fuel return, which is why I'm having one installed the day of the tune.

My HP goals on the heart breaker dyno are realistic, probably 360WHP. Numbers are relative though, ideally I'd like to be near the 400HP mark - but that is not likely to happen on the dyno at Function.

What it boils down to is how well it performs on the track next summer at HPDE events. In which case, I think it'll definately be up to the task of some good lap times at Summit, VIR and Thunderbolt (with a better choice of wheels/tires and brakes).
Old 11-03-2008, 06:22 PM
350z006

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

^^Well...since you're tracking, you getting an oil cooler then?

I'm thinking about it myself...wondering if it's worth it for tracking...
Old 11-04-2008, 09:06 AM
Le Zed

props to you my friend. awesome awesome awesome!!!
Old 11-04-2008, 10:06 AM
SmokerZ
I Like Everyone

Really good thread!!! congrats on it starting up man! hope you get the power and numbers you desire!
Old 11-04-2008, 10:29 AM
Car vs. Driver

Thanks for the compliments guys. And yes, I'm planning to get an oil cooler on the car along with the rest of the track preparations Not sure which one yet though - I'll probably just make my own.
Old 11-04-2008, 11:44 AM
4SHIZZIL

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

nice! I remember it like it was yesterday!
Old 11-04-2008, 02:32 PM
Car vs. Driver

Here are some random pics of my clutch install that I did a couple of months ago ...

Braided clutch line:

UR Flywheel:

Back of the motor, sans flywheel and clutch:

Flywheel and clutch installed:
Old 11-05-2008, 05:12 AM
ZRuggernDC

Nice man!! Congrats on getting it all together. When are you rolling this way? Lemme know.
Old 11-05-2008, 05:29 AM
Car vs. Driver

I have an appointment scheduled at F:T on Saturday, the 15th at noon.
Old 11-05-2008, 07:10 AM
Deliverance

Looks great! How do you like the drive compared to a turbo car ? assuming you have driven a turbo car.
Old 11-05-2008, 07:28 AM
Car vs. Driver

Check my sig ... used to own a very modded STi.

I can't make that comparison yet, the Z isn't tuned. I drove it for like 2 miles to make sure there were no weird noses, leaks, etc and never went into boost. I'll be able to make that comparison after I get tuned on the 15th

Either way, it'll be very diffcult to make a comparison between the two cars. Even with FI on the Z, they're completely different animals all together. Both have their flaws and both have their merits.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:36 AM
Deliverance

Originally Posted by Car vs. Driver
Check my sig ... used to own a very modded STi.

I can't make that comparison yet, the Z isn't tuned. I drove it for like 2 miles to make sure there were no weird noses, leaks, etc and never went into boost. I'll be able to make that comparison after I get tuned on the 15th

Either way, it'll be very diffcult to make a comparison between the two cars. Even with FI on the Z, they're completely different animals all together. Both have their flaws and both have their merits.
ah overlooked the Sig.

i can understand that. i think i'm eventually going to go FI. I sometimes miss having a turbo car.
Old 11-13-2008, 03:44 PM
Car vs. Driver

Two more days until I hit the dyno!
Old 11-14-2008, 06:22 AM
Car vs. Driver

So I decided to drive the car to work today. I wanted to make sure that it would be up to the task of driving 130 miles to Dulles, VA tomorrow to get tuned.

Good news is, the car pretty much ran fine. I kept it out of boost, shifting before 3500RPM and driving like an old Nancy. No leaks or major hiccups. I did manage to stall it a few times and it was a ***** to restart from running a little rich on the base map that F:T sent to me. The car drives totally different out of 1st gear now, I keep forgetting that the SC requires a little more gas from a dead stop due to combination of that and the lighter flywheel

My only major problem was that I plain forgot to reattach the front of the fender liners, so once I hit RT1 the wind pulled them down and they got shredded under the tires. Oh well ... guess I'll have to add that to the list of more stuff to get. If anyone has an extra set of liners, please let me know!!

I'm pretty happy though, the car handled traffic just fine and drove like stock - no hiccups, stumbles or weird surges. It's just insanely loud.
Old 11-15-2008, 05:43 PM
Car vs. Driver

The results are in ....

364.9 HP and 320 LB/FT

I'll post all the photos and video tomorrow, for now a recap of the day in words

First off, I need to majorly thank my friend Brian and my dad for helping me build the car. Those guys rock and spent a good bit of time over my house, under the hood, getting bloody (and bled on) to make this work. Thanks guys!

Second, Dave at F:T is the facking man. Wicked cool guy, knowledgeable and had no problems with us bumming around the shop asking questions every 10 minutes. Dave knows his stuff, period.

The car is incredible, it drives like stock when not hammering on it - even in gnarly beltway traffic and at a 70/80MPH cruise. You'd never know it was making the kind of power that it is. It's just so smooth it's phenominal. All around amazing job tuning it.

Unfortunately, it was raining the whole way home. I got one good pull on relatively dry pavement in 4th gear. I hit about 5K RPM and the tires started spinning (at around 80/90MPH) and the traction control jumped in and cut fuel ... it seriously scared the **** out of me. Thankfully I didn't turn the TC off, otherwise there would have been trouble.

Beyond that, the drive home was flawless. Can't wait to get it out on dry roads and see what it can really do. The few partial throttle pulls I did out of toll plaza's felt amazing, when there was traction

And with that, I'm off to bed. Long *** day and I'm wiped out. I'll get the videos and pics posted tomorrow.

Quick Reply: CvD's Vortech Thread ..