Notices
Mid-Atlantic Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Washington D.C.

Death & Funeral For My Z--Pics

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 07:58 PM
jetspank

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Death & Funeral For My Z--Pics

So. I'm really having a hard time with this. Much harder than I thought I would in the first couple days after my car was stripped in my driveway. I guess I was in shock at that point.

But the shock has worn off. And now, despondent would be putting too positive a spin on it.

I am in despair over the loss of my car.

It used to look like this:

This car was special, at least in the history of cars and me. Prior to the Z (05 Enthusiast, Superblack), I’d been practical, buying only inexpensive/functional vehicles. I promised myself to one day acquire a cool car, but it took a while. Eventually I worked around to a (mildly) cosmetically-modified black & tinted VW Beetle, which is what I wound up trading for my Z. I loved that Beetle, but it was nothing compared to the Z.

From the moment I first saw the the car in 2003, I wanted a 350Z. That shape is just . . . pure sex. Something about the curves, the way the they blend, is beautiful to me. Especially the back of the thing, especially if you have wide tires or a badass exhaust. I think it’s art. I finally saw one up close at the Washington Auto Show in 2004, and I started working toward getting a Z of my own right after that show.

It took until fall 05, but finally the planets aligned and I was able to make it happen. The car I bought was the first and only one I test drove, at Herb Gordon Nissan in Silver Spring (nothing but love to those guys, btw). What initially surprised me was how low I sat--I'm really tall--and how limited my view was. I was coming from a Beetle, after all. What got me next was the power. Awesome, straight out of the box. For a rube like me, anyway. And I only stalled it once on the test drive.

After I bought it I found this forum, and I was blown away by the creativity and knowledge on here. Before I got my Z, I’d never done much in the way of mods to any of my cars. Never had a need. But the people on this forum inspired me and educated me and encouraged me and I wound up doing all my own work on the car. Somehow every single thing worked out perfectly. I mean, I screw up Ikea bookshelves, but every damn thing I did on this car worked out well, including a sound system/iPod adapter install. Oh, and have I mentioned that I've had zero mechanical problems with the car in three years? No other vehicle I’ve owned has been so reliable. This car was blessed for me.

Yeah. I had it for three years. And then, sometime early on the morning of Monday, January 5 of this new year, some incredibly evil people destroyed it. I went on and on about it in that other thread, so I'll try to spare you the details here, but suffice to say I've been by turns incredibly angry, fearful, indignant, sad, defiant and totally pissed off at the people who did this. It just amazes me.

Obviously they had a need for the front end of an '05 Nissan 350Z. And obviously they knew this car very well. From what they took and how they took it, you can tell they're absolute pros. The cop said they had major skills and could easily go legit. I actually think they were ninjas, lowered from a silent helicopter.

Note to others who rely only on the Z's stock alarm: apparently, it’s useless. These guys unclipped my horns first (I'm convinced they came early in the evening and did this, 'cause my dog acted strange around 11). Then they opened the hood from underneath (I hear there's a tool to do this). That probably would've set the alarm off, but with the horns disengaged, the only thing that would've been happening then was flashing lights. The thieves immediately disconnected the battery, and that took care of that.

I'm not sure they really were looking for an intake or an interior, but when they saw what they had, they took advantage of the situation. F*cking opportunists. They made a very small mark in my tint where they pushed the window down and jimmied the driver's door, and when they got inside they worked like locusts. They took both instrument clusters, and my aftermarket stereo, and my iPod, and who knows what else. Oh, and my stupid floormats.

I was out in the car last night getting the last of my stuff out with a flashlight, and I realized how dark it must have been while they were doing this complicated work. I have to admit, their skills are impressive. So why use them like this?

I think about karma, and lots of people mention karma in a situation like this. First of all, I've seriously considered whether I've made some big withdrawal at the karma bank lately to warrant a hit like this. Perhaps I'm deluded, but I can't find anything. To tell the truth, I've been better at keeping my **** together for a while now, almost turning myself into a grown up in the process. So my karma's all good, I think.

But everyone says the criminals' karma is f*cked. What goes around comes around, right? However, that really doesn’t make me feel better. So what if they wind up in a cold cell someday? They screwed me along the way, and it can't be undone. If I could beat their asses, if I could watch them go to jail, if they paid me back in cash, it won't bring back my car.

This breaks my heart.

I know it's goofy to get all choked up over a car, but I loved the thing. It was a friend. It was so much fun.

Insurance totaled it because the thieves cut several wiring harnesses. The insurance estimator said that that part was just malicious, they could have uncoupled the connectors, but I guess they were in a hurry. High five figures for the repair, so the car is effectively dead. They cut the jugular.

A couple people PM'ed me about buying it as is, but I'm sorry, I can't deal with the paperwork (salvage title?) and all the other bullsh!t, so I just took the settlement from USAA, which I thought was good. I paid off my loan and I've a got a substantial amount for a new down payment.

I]m not sure I'm going to get another Z. Not yet, anyway.

I'm looking at grownup cars like the Audi A4 or the VW CC. My dream would be an M3. I will say, however, the 370Z seems pretty cool. We'll see. My heart's not particularly into buying a new car at the moment.

Because I can't believe I won't drive this car again. I wish I'd known the last time I drove it was in fact the last time, because I would have torn that **** up! But how could I have known?

The towing company picked it up tonight. The towtruck driver said it'll be taken to auction. Such an inglorious end. Sad.

When I came in the house after the car was towed, nearly in tears, my dog padded over to me quietly and put her head on my knee. She totally understood.

I took a bunch of pictures this morning to capture the damage in more detail. It's ugly. And I took a bunch tonight when they put my car on the hook and hauled it away. It's uglier. I was gonna put clever captions on all the pics, but they speak for themselves. Im dummping them in here.

I really had fun with this car, and I enjoyed this Forum too. I'll stay a member, of course, whether I own a Z or not. Mid-A rocks.

Just be aware, and be careful out there, ladies & gentlemen.

Old 01-14-2009, 08:10 PM
wasuber

RIP, sorry this happened, looks like you are being a teeny bit sentimental right now?? lol

Aww,, they totaled it! damn, Audi's are nice

Last edited by wasuber; 01-14-2009 at 08:12 PM.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:12 PM
03aeroZ

DAMN.....I wouldn't even be able to take pictures of it. I feel very very sorry for you and completely understand the emotional reaction. I am one that has a strange history with the Zs (they have been in and out of my life with out my knowing until I bought mine and then realized what all the other ones were) and I would have the same reaction. It is more than a car. Again, sorry, and get another one with a garage and a big alarm.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:56 PM
meow69

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

that is so horrible... Sorry this had to happen to you.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:09 PM
michaeljr6

very well written
Old 01-15-2009, 05:03 AM
bb1314
da Terminator!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe get a G35?
Old 01-15-2009, 05:24 AM
WYZIWYG

Received 207 Likes on 154 Posts

Story was touching, those pics are just heartbreaking [couldn't look at all of 'em], and I felt the same way when I first saw one in person. I used to be a security guard and some guy in the building across from us bought one in '03 and sometimes I'd go out up on the rooftop and just stare at it...
Question, could all of this really have been prevented by a better aftermarket alarm? Last year several of the cars in my parking area were vandalized but they only went after people with no alarms. That little blinking red light saved both my cars from harm. Hearing this definitely makes me want to upgrade my security systems!
Old 01-15-2009, 06:01 AM
r0csfinest

TRUST me... I feel your pain! I saw my G for the last time yesterday too cause it got totaled also and I wanted to cry too
Old 01-15-2009, 07:57 AM
gmueip
Hi Kids!

R.I.P. Hope your next car makes you as happy as the Z did.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:41 AM
rockinbboy

Again....ridiculous! I remember meeting you a few years back at the CP car Meets. I know you had a clean car and took meticulous detail of it.

Keep us posted on what you get next. Maybe another 350? an 08 perhaps?
Old 01-15-2009, 12:38 PM
SmokerZ
I Like Everyone

If I were you I ould treat myself to the M3!!!! Power style more seats and service. Sorry to hear about all this. But karma will repay you brudder!!
Old 01-15-2009, 01:10 PM
abui01

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah, this really blows. Cant believe a few cut wires n such would render this a total loss. I'm sure you'll come back with something even better!
Old 01-16-2009, 06:15 AM
Dev-Inspire

I totally feel you, brother. I lost my G37S last month(totaled) and had to have my final goodbye with her.. There were tears... Believe me man, you're not the only one that gets choked up over cars and it's not silly in the least. We're here for you, bro.

Last edited by Dev-Inspire; 01-16-2009 at 06:21 AM.
Old 01-16-2009, 06:31 PM
jetspank

Originally Posted by wasuber
RIP, sorry this happened, looks like you are being a teeny bit sentimental right now??
Damn vodka!
Old 01-16-2009, 06:47 PM
wasuber

You think of a good replacement yet? Pass the Vodka!
Old 01-16-2009, 07:35 PM
r0csfinest

Originally Posted by Dev-Inspire
I totally feel you, brother. I lost my G37S last month(totaled) and had to have my final goodbye with her.. There were tears... Believe me man, you're not the only one that gets choked up over cars and it's not silly in the least. We're here for you, bro.
Damn... So I'm not crazy then...
Old 01-16-2009, 07:53 PM
Chromex319

Dang bro I normally wouldn't give a *hit but I feel you and I'm sorry dude. Get a new Z it's like falling in love all over again.
Old 01-16-2009, 08:09 PM
SCARECROW BEATS

f***, dude , i almost cried reading this post...
i've only ever felt that shitty loosin a good girl, and i imagine this just might be worse...
i couldn't even imagine...
i know the karma **** do'nt mean nuthin right now but its true, those f**** will get theirs...
get somthin dope and then get a good alarm...
R.I.P. (rest in paradise)
Old 01-16-2009, 08:12 PM
SCARECROW BEATS

btw, in that very first pic... is that you laying on the ground w/ your chica standin next to you that i see in the reflection? i've taken pics like that as well... the z makes you do strange things...
Old 01-16-2009, 08:20 PM
Duke52

Wow. That's horrible.

I had a DSM vandalized and a bunch of parts stolen back in the 90's - I thought it was bad that they stole the fuel management so I couldn't drive it home - but that was nothing compared to this. I'm truly sorry for your loss....

P.S. ---> Check out an S4 - I had one a few years back and loved it. Civility meets power

Quick Reply: Death & Funeral For My Z--Pics