Notices
Mid-Atlantic Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Washington D.C.

Got a few questions for body work experts here

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 07:00 PM
H4RDCOR3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if your gonna re-drill then just get some nuts and bolts to hold it...other than that if you want the clips and factory stuff you will most likely have to get them through the stealership. Thats the only place where i have seen them and what not
Old 01-29-2009, 05:36 AM
Driven1
Professional

A majority of the rigidity of the fender liner comes from the attachement points in the fender and inside the wheel well. I would try and use factory clips if possible...I think you only need 2-3 per wheel in the front bumper.

U can also use "body clips" (see where your bumper attatches to your front composite radiator base) which just requires you to use a drill and pop them in.
Old 01-29-2009, 05:47 AM
bb1314
da Terminator!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Driven1
A majority of the rigidity of the fender liner comes from the attachement points in the fender and inside the wheel well. I would try and use factory clips if possible...I think you only need 2-3 per wheel in the front bumper.

U can also use "body clips" (see where your bumper attatches to your front composite radiator base) which just requires you to use a drill and pop them in.
Thanks Robbie. I do happen to have a bunch of "body clips" laying around. I'll try those out this Saturday then.
Old 01-29-2009, 07:04 PM
SC 350Z

Originally Posted by bb1314
Thanks for that info. Does your dad know if it's true that the paint will gradually turn slightly darker as it cures?

Also, I've heard that the same blend of paint could show up as slightly different on different material. My front bumper is a Sarona front(at least it was) and my side skirts and rear skirt are JP Type-A. They are all made out of Fiberglass. Is there something like different composition of fiberglass? I'm a noob when it comes to bodywork.
i showed him pics and he said you will see diffrences in material but by now it should be pretty much cured, and he said that if it hasnt darkend by now it prob wont.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:11 AM
bb1314
da Terminator!

Originally Posted by SC 350Z
i showed him pics and he said you will see diffrences in material but by now it should be pretty much cured, and he said that if it hasnt darkend by now it prob wont.
So I took my car to J&D meet last Saturday. The guys looked at my car and couldn't really tell a big color difference. It seems like the front bumper's paint has less "flake" in it. So under the bright sun, it reflects less light and causes the big color difference in picture. Is the "flake" already mixed in the paint when they purchased it or it's something that the shop has to mix themselves?
Old 02-02-2009, 09:57 AM
Jgrizzle

Ethan,
It seems to me that you dont like your paint. With the time and energy youve invested id make them paint it one more time. Especially if you can tell when its nice and sunny due to the flake. I mean, who wants to drive around only on cloudy days.

Even with the little color difference i love the car man. Cant wait to see it in person
Old 02-02-2009, 10:54 AM
WYZIWYG

Received 208 Likes on 155 Posts

Ethan = for buying the wrong color car. All of us SB owners never have problems like these...
Old 02-02-2009, 10:57 AM
bb1314
da Terminator!

Originally Posted by WYZIWYG
Ethan = for buying the wrong color car. All of us SB owners never have problems like these...
haha no joke there. I heard red, yellow and orange are the easiest to match. I should've gotten a yellow one since it matches the color of my skin.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:05 AM
Jgrizzle

Originally Posted by WYZIWYG
unless you have an 03 DB. they couldnt color match it from the factory. "why is your gas cap and bumper a different color?" SHUT UP WOMAN ITS JDM. DUH
Old 02-02-2009, 11:05 AM
WYZIWYG

Received 208 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by bb1314
haha no joke there. I heard red, yellow and orange are the easiest to match. I should've gotten a yellow one since it matches the color of my skin.
Nah, you made the right move. My car was just detailed before the last "storm', it sat unmoved until the snow and ice melted [yesterday], came out to run it up to Arundel Mills yesterday and looked like someone drew all over it with a Butterfinger. At least you guys can go a few days between washing/waxing. BTW, can't wait to see your car in person at one of the next meets.
Old 02-02-2009, 01:00 PM
sajazzman007
DIY'er Unite

I love the Mid-A there is more action than the Unit on this section of the forum. Actually reading this entire post took almost an hour out of my work day These threads are always full of ironry, drama, snitchin', with a slight hit on comedy. As for body work.. its nice.. as for the paint.. just wait for it to dry. I have to get a new paint job on my Z but I was going to wait until the spring when the weather is warmer and I have to wait to recieve the restution money from my vandalism settlement that come in 133 dollar payments from my "criminal a$$" next door neighbor.