Notices
Mid-Atlantic Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Washington D.C.

Racial Issue: Mid-A Interracial Couples Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 02:11 PM
Z33@SIM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hate when people call me Mexican. Its insulting to me...

I was born in Thailand
Old 02-03-2009, 02:36 PM
jeffie7

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I didn't read the other 3 pages but...

First off, chances are you never worked with Mexicans and the people working at the restaurant were not Mexican, yet day in and day out, anyone Hispanic from North, Central, and South America is Mexican. That's like having a Viet guy go into a Hispanic restaurant and having the waiter call the Viet guy a ***** when clearly he's a Dink or Gook even though Gook is thought to have come from Korea....

Anywho, why over react? Americans call them dirty Mexicans day in and day out, If I was you I would have played it cool and the next time that waiter came over I would have said, in Spanish, sorry, I'm not Chinese maybe you have me mixed up with someone else? Then just leave it at that.

I'm a big fan of finding hole in the wall style restaurants, I go to a lot of difference Hispanic places, for me a good rule of thumb is if they speak English, chances are it's not that good. Or it will be another Chevys wannabe with soft tacos and no such thing as little meats anywhere on the menu. I get a lot of looks being as white as casper, I also dated a Hispanic girl for awhile and I got a lot of dirty looks from the guys at those places. Even now, I'm with a full blown Asian chick and we go to places like Eden Center. Trust me, I get looks, lots of them.

I could give a damn, let them look, even with the Hispanic chick, it was fun to give that look like, yeah, shes with me to the guys. I don't care. they can say anything they want.

Do I care that some people find dating some one of a difference race weird? nope. I'm happy with who I'm with and not a single person can change that, no matter what they say or think.

BTW, this thread = fial with no pictures of the GF.

Let me unfial it for you.

Old 02-03-2009, 04:06 PM
KAT_Ayanami

Originally Posted by Z33@SIM
I hate when people call me Mexican. Its insulting to me...
I was born in Thailand
And that comment is insulting to Mexicans. So you are even.

Originally Posted by jeffie7
I'm a big fan of finding hole in the wall style restaurants, I go to a lot of difference Hispanic places, for me a good rule of thumb is if they speak English, chances are it's not that good. Or it will be another Chevys wannabe with soft tacos and no such thing as little meats anywhere on the menu.
Wow, no offense, but you know nothing about them then. Your rule of thumb should be called rule of dumb if you are not joking.

I have worked at a couple of places and there is always people that speak english, and not because of that means that the food is worse. It could be the oposite! If they are hiring people that speak english, chances are that they are hiring only people with papers and US citizens. Which means that the business is straight and probably quality and cleanliness will be much higher.

Prices will be higher too, and maybe the food is more commercial than traditional, but at least you will not find roaches on the tortillas!!

I also dated a Hispanic girl for awhile and I got a lot of dirty looks from the guys at those places.
Trust me, they were looking at her. Needless to say, every hispanic guy will look at other male with a bad look, they are "badder" that way.
They will not look at you for dating a hispanic girl.
Old 02-03-2009, 04:25 PM
PhiSig
Wheel Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to date, er bang out, this light skinned black chick. She def got lots of attention from guys when we went out - gorgeous girl. A lot of black dudes would always try and spit game at her, when they saw she was with a white dude, a lot of them came up to me and said something like, "DAYAM, go ahead playa"

Never had anyone say anything negitive about the sitution, I'm sure if someone did it would **** me off, you have a right to be upset. Clearly those stupid mexicanos you incountered are just ignorant. All you can do is brush it off.
Old 02-03-2009, 04:36 PM
Z33@SIM

Originally Posted by KAT_Ayanami
And that comment is insulting to Mexicans. So you are even.
How so? How is that even close to being insulting? Because I dont personally like the fact that people think Im Mexican? News flash... Thailand is NO WHERE close to Mexico or any other Hispanic country. I see people from central/south America get butthurt because you called them Mexican pretty often but come on Thailand? We're not even on the same continent. So excuse me if I feel a little insulted when you cant even come close. In no way was I attempting to say that Mexicans are lower then Thais. SO explain to me again why my experience is so insulting?

Besides, I dont really take it that serious. I tell myself some people are just too stupid. So why are you taking it so serious?
Old 02-03-2009, 04:59 PM
jeffie7

Wow, no offense, but you know nothing about them then. Your rule of thumb should be called rule of dumb if you are not joking.

I have worked at a couple of places and there is always people that speak english, and not because of that means that the food is worse. It could be the oposite! If they are hiring people that speak english, chances are that they are hiring only people with papers and US citizens. Which means that the business is straight and probably quality and cleanliness will be much higher.

Prices will be higher too, and maybe the food is more commercial than
traditional, but at least you will not find roaches on the tortillas!!
Around here you have two types of stores. There's a few Mexican joints (as the sign says) people will speak both English and Spanish, also a few good small places that serves mostly Hispanics, in fact anytime I go to them both carryout/dine in I've always been the only gringo at those places.

I'm a big food buff, I eat all over the place, I think I've been to every non chain Hispanic restaurant in this area, All the places that have people who speak good English serves nothing different then your local tex mex chain restaurant. Annapolis and Laurel (as with some spots in NVA) are very heavily populated with Hispanics, and there's a good bit of places that are very low key. that serve GREAT food, those places happen to be places where people speak next to no English. I'd love to find a nice place around here that has servers that speak English and a mixed staff that also serves stuff like good tamales, and pupusas or REAL tacos. not tacos with ground beef and friggin cheddar cheese....

Do keep in mind I work in the food field and more then half my kitchen staff is from Central America, all of the places they like are hole in the wall joints and IMO they're damn good places. Just because a place is off the main street or isn't well known doesn't mean they're not clean or don't turn over a lot of food, a good bit of the local hot spots (Hispanic hot spots) have heavy traffic and seem to do very well for themselves. Also just because someone can hardly speak English doesn't mean they're not legit.

P.S down town Annapolis there's a Mexican owned place on the main strip, el toro bravo, they serve good carne asada as with grilled chicken, outside of that, the rest is pretty much American.

Also, SilverSpring has a lot more eating options then down here, you might have a better mix of REAL hispanic food VS out this way where Chevys is King.

Last edited by jeffie7; 02-03-2009 at 05:02 PM.
Old 02-03-2009, 05:42 PM
PullingMaxGs

Originally Posted by Jgrizzle
Also Chinaman is not the preffered nomenclature Dude.... Asian-American please.
...I'm late to this thread, but somebody in this Century referred to an Asian -American as "Chinaman??????????????" You're $hittin me, right??? WHAT CLOWN did that????

Anyway, I'm Black and my GF is Japanese from Hawaii - - ALOHA!!!!!!!!
Old 02-03-2009, 05:46 PM
bb1314
da Terminator!

Originally Posted by PullingMaxGs
...I'm late to this thread, but somebody in this Century referred to an Asian -American as "Chinaman??????????????" You're $hittin me, right??? WHAT CLOWN did that????

Anyway, I'm Black and my GF is Japanese from Hawaii - - ALOHA!!!!!!!!
Growing up in Dundalk, MD, that was very common to me.
Old 02-03-2009, 05:53 PM
KAT_Ayanami

How so? How is that even close to being insulting? Because I dont personally like the fact that people think Im Mexican? News flash... Thailand is NO WHERE close to Mexico or any other Hispanic country. I see people from central/south America get butthurt because you called them Mexican pretty often but come on Thailand? We're not even on the same continent. So excuse me if I feel a little insulted when you cant even come close. In no way was I attempting to say that Mexicans are lower then Thais. SO explain to me again why my experience is so insulting?

Besides, I dont really take it that serious. I tell myself some people are just too stupid. So why are you taking it so serious?

It was insulting because even if you did not attempt to say that Mexicans were lower than Thais, that is how it sounded.

Now, they call you Mexican because you (I guess) look like one. So how the hell having Thailand on another continent is going to change that?
They call you Mexican because of the looks, not because your country is close!!!!

Same happens to me, they say if I am from Mexico, Cuba or Argentina, and I don't go around saying. God! My country is on the other side of the ocean!

Please, I am not trying to insult anybody. This is not even my war to fight (Im not from Mexico) But lets not sound ignorant now.
Old 02-03-2009, 05:57 PM
michaeljr6

white girls ftw.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:00 PM
KAT_Ayanami

Around here you have two types of stores. There's a few Mexican joints (as the sign says) people will speak both English and Spanish, also a few good small places that serves mostly Hispanics, in fact anytime I go to them both carryout/dine in I've always been the only gringo at those places.

I'm a big food buff, I eat all over the place, I think I've been to every non chain Hispanic restaurant in this area, All the places that have people who speak good English serves nothing different then your local tex mex chain restaurant. Annapolis and Laurel (as with some spots in NVA) are very heavily populated with Hispanics, and there's a good bit of places that are very low key. that serve GREAT food, those places happen to be places where people speak next to no English. I'd love to find a nice place around here that has servers that speak English and a mixed staff that also serves stuff like good tamales, and pupusas or REAL tacos. not tacos with ground beef and friggin cheddar cheese....

Do keep in mind I work in the food field and more then half my kitchen staff is from Central America, all of the places they like are hole in the wall joints and IMO they're damn good places. Just because a place is off the main street or isn't well known doesn't mean they're not clean or don't turn over a lot of food, a good bit of the local hot spots (Hispanic hot spots) have heavy traffic and seem to do very well for themselves. Also just because someone can hardly speak English doesn't mean they're not legit.

P.S down town Annapolis there's a Mexican owned place on the main strip, el toro bravo, they serve good carne asada as with grilled chicken, outside of that, the rest is pretty much American.

Also, SilverSpring has a lot more eating options then down here, you might have a better mix of REAL hispanic food VS out this way where Chevys is King.
I agree.

Like I said, places where they are more "hispanic" tend to have more traditional food (like pupuserias). Other places like for example "My Rancho" or "Rio Grande" the food is more comercial and they only have big popular items that taste good but are done more to sell that to be traditional.

Lets remember that Tex-Mex is not Mexican food.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:00 PM
r0csfinest

Originally Posted by bb1314
lol ive heard it all too
Old 02-03-2009, 06:10 PM
PullingMaxGs

Chief, I too spent several years growing up at the "Old" Fort Holabird (Dundalk) - - even went to Dundalk Junior High School (early, early 70's) when my Pop was in Vietnam, so I very much understand. In fact, my Asian Friends and I were "spit-on" walking home from School on a couple occasions in Dundalk. Anyway, this is a new day, Chief - - would do us all better if you left the "Chinaman" reference to the Old-Skool Dundalk Crowd!!! BTW, ever venture down into Turner's Station?!?!?!?

DAMN - - JUST REREAD YOUR POST: Are you Asain??????? Will, help a Brother out, now...

Last edited by PullingMaxGs; 02-03-2009 at 06:12 PM.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:16 PM
bb1314
da Terminator!

Chief, I too spent several years growing up at the "Old" Fort Holabird (Dundalk) - - even went to Dundalk Junior High School (early, early 70's) when my Pop was in Vietnam, so I very much understand. In fact, my Asian Friends and I were "spit-on" walking home from School on a couple occasions in Dundalk. Anyway, this is a new day, Chief - - would do us all better if you left the "Chinaman" reference to the Old-Skool Dundalk Crowd!!! BTW, ever venture down into Turner's Station?!?!?!?
oh wow... It's funny when I was growing up in that town, I thought everyone in America was racist as fuxk since I had no other town to compare to at the time. Once I got out of high school (I too went to Dundalk High!), the world became a better place all the sudden! LOL... The experience sure made me a stronger person.

Originally Posted by r0csfinest
lol ive heard it all too
And you wonder why I laughed when people told me my area in Columbia is "ghetto".

Last edited by bb1314; 02-03-2009 at 06:19 PM.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:41 PM
350Ricky
I like Rice

Holy crap ethan... Im not going to read all the pages.

So heres my contribution.

Dated 5 hispanic girls and 4 others(asian,white,black). I get looks and **** talking all the time. But its funny that they stand next to their butt buddy because they are going to suck each others **** later.

Its ok, being asian we get stereotypes all the time. Ignorant people will be ignorant, and there wont be changing them anytime soon so no reason getting worked up over them.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:45 PM
r0csfinest

DAMN - - JUST REREAD YOUR POST: Are you Asain??????? Will, help a Brother out, now...
yea hes asian

And you wonder why I laughed when people told me my area in Columbia is "ghetto".
lol yea i wouldnt consider any place in columbia "ghetto"
Old 02-03-2009, 07:15 PM
Z33@SIM

It was insulting because even if you did not attempt to say that Mexicans were lower than Thais, that is how it sounded.

Now, they call you Mexican because you (I guess) look like one. So how the hell having Thailand on another continent is going to change that?
They call you Mexican because of the looks, not because your country is close!!!!

Same happens to me, they say if I am from Mexico, Cuba or Argentina, and I don't go around saying. God! My country is on the other side of the ocean!

Please, I am not trying to insult anybody. This is not even my war to fight (Im not from Mexico) But lets not sound ignorant now.
yea you're right lets not sound ignorant. that also mean dont go assuming things (as you already have). my comment about the continent thing was for you to see that only the truely ignorant and uneducated one might think im mexican because it doesnt take a genius to see the difference between hispanic and asian. its not like im getting butthurt over somebody thinking im viet or cambodian because average people might not know the difference. there is a huge difference between mexico and thailand though. according to my gf the only thing i might have in common with hispanics is my skin color. not knowing is ome thing but to go around assuming is ignorant. to blast me because you assume im downing mexicans is also wrong. i no way think that im better because im thai but merely annoyed with stupid people that cant tell the difference between people from 2 continents(i know there are some exceptions but thats another story). also you make an annoucement that you're not mexican... why? is it because you think spaniards are better? im ASSuming that if somebody called you mexican because you speak spanish you would be quick to inform that you were from spain. see where im going with this?

you're taking what my experience about dumb and ignorant people who like to assume chit and adding a pinch of drama and blasting me for insulting mexicans... not at all what i was trying to do.

with all that said... lets have a beer or 7. in honor of this i will order modelo, singha and (wtf is spanish beer? dont think ive seen one) to drink at the bar.
Old 02-03-2009, 07:38 PM
jeffie7

with all that said... lets have a beer or 7. in honor of this i will order modelo, singha and (wtf is spanish beer? dont think ive seen one) to drink at the bar.
Spanish Mexican or just anything Hispanic?

Dos xx
Corona

are both good places to start.
Old 02-03-2009, 07:42 PM
KustomZ03

I feel your pain dude...my fiance is hispanic, I am white and we got TONS of crap from both families when we were first together and we still get looks from plenty of ppl when we go out but I've learned to ignore it.

oh and to help clear up that other issue:

'hispanic' defines a race...same as black, white, asian

'mexican' defines nationality...same as german, korean, chinese, american, french, etc

hope that helps!
Old 02-03-2009, 08:08 PM
*ICE*

3 pages with NO pics of said mixed girl????? what had this forum became to??

Quick Reply: Racial Issue: Mid-A Interracial Couples Thread