Notices
Mid-Atlantic Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Washington D.C.

Racial Issue: Mid-A Interracial Couples Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 06:34 AM
bb1314
da Terminator!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Racial Issue: Mid-A Interracial Couples Thread

Ok I know I'm like the drama king of Mid-A right after Anh and Bryce. But bare with me. This topic is quite sensitive and personal.

As some of you know I have been dating a half White half Asian girl. I guess she looks a lot more white than Asian so people always consider me dating a "white chick". I've dated a few white girls before so it's not really anything new for me. But this is like my first serious relationship with a "white girl" or at least someone who looks as white as her. Everywhere we go in the Mid-A region, we get weird looks and hear little comments here and there.

Last week, we went to an authentic Mexican restaurant(One that's owned and run by real Mexicans) in Glen Burnie. I overheard this Mexican waiter saying, "Look at that ***** and the loose white girl. He probably has a lot of money." For your information, I can understand a lot of Spanish from taking classes in school and working with Mexicans back in my restaurant days. We were furious and left without giving any tips.

I can understand hearing comments from white guys who are just plain jealous because I "stole" one of their women. But hearing comments from other minorities all the time as well? What's going on?! Of course I'm not going to let this stop me from my dating life. I just want to hear you guys out on similar stories since I've personally met quite a few interracial couples here.

Now is this whole discrimination on interracial relationship thing common outside of Mid-A? I've heard that up in Boston it's actually the cool new thing for white girls to date Asian guys these days.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:49 AM
r0csfinest

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lol your not alone big brother. I feel like the whole world stares at me and my girl... I just like to think that's it's cuz I'm super sexy and they are just on my nutz LOL.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:51 AM
.steeeeZ33.
@ J&D auto

Originally Posted by r0csfinest
Lol your not alone big brother. I feel like the whole world stares at me and my girl... I just like to think that's it's cuz I'm super sexy and they are just on my nutz LOL.
right on mang.

**** THE HATERZ ETAN!
Old 02-03-2009, 06:53 AM
kacz07

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You're taking it way too personally. There are a lot of stupid people EVERYWHERE who are fighting much harder battles with their ego than you are.

If it doesn't threaten your life there's not reason to invest any energy in it.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:54 AM
bigslim350Z

I'm white, am dating an Indonesian girl and therefore can understand your feelings about the negative comments / attention. I get weird looks all the time as well. Then again, it could be because I'm above average height. Or... it could be because I'm above average height and my girlfriend is 5' 1".
Old 02-03-2009, 06:55 AM
C5_vette

meh you will find ignorant people everywhere... the area that we all live in is actually very diverse and most people are well informed and quite tolerant.. it is much better than some other parts of the country... and waaay better than other parts of the world

just get some thicker skin and move on
Old 02-03-2009, 06:56 AM
woodrow88

Im mixed my mom is white and my dad is black so i get all kind of looks and i dated a white girl so i feel you.....
Old 02-03-2009, 06:56 AM
bb1314
da Terminator!

Originally Posted by kacz07
You're taking it way too personally. There are a lot of stupid people EVERYWHERE who are fighting much harder battles with their ego than you are.

If it doesn't threaten your life there's not reason to invest any energy in it.
Haha... If I take an public issue and apply it to myself, that's taking it way too personally. But if someone says something to my face or near me and not even react to it, that's called ignoring an issue.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:58 AM
C5_vette

Originally Posted by bigslim350Z
it could be because I'm a giant and my girlfriend is 5' 1".

yea that might be it
Old 02-03-2009, 07:01 AM
jubes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One thing, you did the right thing in leaving the restaurant and leaving no tip

2nd, you should started talking **** in Spanish to the guy making the comment saying "hey a$$hole take your burrito and shove it up your a$$..." to make it even more insulting, you should left a penny and said, "here's some help in getting better job" and slammed the penny on the table, and flip him the bird... LOL

but in all honesty, most people talk **** because they are jealous, so you should take it as a compliment. I did when I took a stripper to prom, and half of the high school administration knew of it and started talking ****, I just smiled and laid my head on her ****.. HAHAHAHAHAAHAH!
Old 02-03-2009, 07:02 AM
dhwang80

<----asian guy married to white girl.

I don't really get too many racial comments (haven't noticed anyway) and I live/work in a rural, primarily caucasian area. I do get the occasional stare at restaurants/walmart.

But from my years of observations, it's the asians that seem to be the most prejudiced about it. Everytime we go to a chinese restaurant, the servers look at her with a hateful smirk and look at me like "omg!! How could you do this!!" You're parents must be so ashamed!!"
Old 02-03-2009, 07:05 AM
bb1314
da Terminator!

Originally Posted by bigslim350Z
I'm white, am dating an Indonesian girl and therefore can understand your feelings about the negative comments / attention. I get weird looks all the time as well. Then again, it could be because I'm above average height. Or... it could be because I'm above average height and my girlfriend is 5' 1".
No offense to you Slim but we all know white male + Asian female is a lot more accepted in America. I guess what annoys me the most is the stereotyping. Say an Asian girl is going out with a white or black guy, people would say "She's going for the bigger d1ck". When it's the other way around when a white girl or black girl is going out with an Asian guy it must be because the Asian guy has money? Stereotyping FTL.

And watching the stupid Heros commercial during Superbowl pissed me off even more. The one and only Asian character in the show is this chubby Japanese nerd who has a thick accent, wears thick glasses, always scared of things and carries a Samurai sword around? Wow....
Old 02-03-2009, 07:08 AM
shocka04

Originally Posted by C5_vette
meh you will find ignorant people everywhere... the area that we all live in is actually very diverse and most people are well informed and quite tolerant.. it is much better than some other parts of the country... and waaay better than other parts of the world

just get some thicker skin and move on
+1, you may not experience it everywhere but its not just in the mid-a where it happens. I'm sure there are much worse areas to be in that dont accept interracial relationships
Old 02-03-2009, 07:09 AM
KAT_Ayanami

Originally Posted by bb1314
"Look at that ***** and the loose white girl. He probably has a lot of money."
Hey Ethan, I can help but wonder if you listened right...

I am from Spain, and my wife is from Mexico. I also worked on mexican restaurants for a few years.

Given my background, let me tell you that: knowing you, that comment sounded way TOO weird.

I have heard similar "monetary" comments from latin people, but they are not usually "race" oriented.

When they say that somebody has X girl because they have a lot of money (or a good car, or similar) is because the guy is as ugly as a reckless driving ticket.

In your case, this does not applies. (YOU ARE A CUTTIE! LOL) So, could you tell me a little more info? Because as far as I know, latin people have NO bad intentions towards asian people (there will always be asses, but its not the usual behavior).

I will ask my wife and brother in law, but as far as I know, that was out of the ordinary.
Old 02-03-2009, 07:09 AM
C5_vette

Originally Posted by bb1314
No offense to you Slim but we all know white male + Asian female is a lot more accepted in America. I guess what annoys me the most is the stereotyping. Say an Asian girl is going out with a white or black guy, people would say "She's going for the bigger d1ck". When it's the other way around when a white girl or black girl is going out with an Asian guy it must be because the Asian guy has money? Stereotyping FTL.

And watching the stupid Heros commercial during Superbowl pissed me off even more. The one and only Asian character in the show is this chubby Japanese nerd who has a thick accent, wears thick glasses, always scared of things and carries a Samurai sword around? Wow....
dude once again stereotyping is always going to happen... how do you think are Arabs and South Asians portrayed nowadays...... like I said, just get some thicker skin, and dont worry about it.
Old 02-03-2009, 07:18 AM
bb1314
da Terminator!

Originally Posted by KAT_Ayanami
Hey Ethan, I can help but wonder if you listened right...

I am from Spain, and my wife is from Mexico. I also worked on mexican restaurants for a few years.

Given my background, let me tell you that: knowing you, that comment sounded way TOO weird.

I have heard similar "monetary" comments from latin people, but they are not usually "race" oriented.

When they say that somebody has X girl because they have a lot of money (or a good car, or similar) is because the guy is as ugly as a reckless driving ticket.

In your case, this does not applies. (YOU ARE A CUTTIE! LOL) So, could you tell me a little more info? Because as far as I know, latin people have NO bad intentions towards asian people (there will always be asses, but its not the usual behavior).

I will ask my wife and brother in law, but as far as I know, that was out of the ordinary.
Hmmm... from what my girlfriend told me, she gets a lot of attention from Mexican guys because a lot of them mistake that she's part Latin. Maybe the hate was generated cuz they think I'm with one of their women? It's true though I've never had any racial problems with Mexican people so I was a little shocked myself.
Old 02-03-2009, 07:23 AM
Jgrizzle

Glen Burnie might be your first mistake. J/K

I just started dating an asian girl (im white) and I havent really noticed anything. That really sucks that this **** still exists. Ive lived in New England Texas and Maryland and I have to say Maryland can be way more racist than TX.

I almost feel like I will get more racism from the Asian community than the white community. Do you guys feel this may be accurate?

Last edited by Jgrizzle; 02-03-2009 at 07:25 AM.
Old 02-03-2009, 07:28 AM
Z33@SIM

Of all my GF they have all been white and its funny you mention that Etan... I really havent gotten the "stare" eversince I moved up to this area. I seem to think its alot more excepted in bigger city and metro area. Coming from a guy that grew up in NC for a big part of his life and dating only white girls, it was rough. I remember going into a gas station near Rockingham Raceway with a friend of mine (which happens to be a model at one point) and I coulda swear it would have been less tension if I was black(Disclaimer: Im not comparing racial issue so dont get on my *** about it). From my experience the smaller the town the more **** I get and believe me Ive heard that crap before... shes with him because money. Having dealt with this issue for so long Ive hardly ever noticed it anymore
Old 02-03-2009, 07:29 AM
bb1314
da Terminator!

Originally Posted by C5_vette
dude once again stereotyping is always going to happen... how do you think are Arabs and South Asians portrayed nowadays...... like I said, just get some thicker skin, and dont worry about it.
I hear you Zain. I think most of you already know I have pretty thick skin and I don't get bothered by too many things that are happening. I understand stereotyping is there and I usually just think that it's stupid and it doesn't really apply to me so it's whatever. But when people are actually applying that stereotyping directly to me (not as a joke of course) in a confrontational situation, I'd just flip. Another point is the disrespect to the one that I'm dating that triggers me to be furious.

But I'd honestly admit if the person goes, "She's going out with the Asian guy cuz he must have a huge *****", I would not be bothered too much.
Old 02-03-2009, 07:35 AM
kham25

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Honestly dont let it bother you i dated a PR chic for 4 yrs.Im Caribbean descent. Everytime i would go into a columbian restaurant or Mexican place it was glares and stares. I felf uncomfortable but then i would rub up on her and give them something more to talk about on purpose everytime.
The way i see it these people have no lives and have nothing better to do.. I live in NYC of all places and i went through this ****...

Quick Reply: Racial Issue: Mid-A Interracial Couples Thread