Notices
Mid-Atlantic Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Washington D.C.

Body Kit Dos and Donts

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 09:55 AM
Jgrizzle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Body Kit Dos and Donts

I was thinking about buying a Nismo V2 replica from Greg@CRG. I have some questions though because I have never owned a car with a body kit before.

1) Anyone heard anything about Greg@CRG? Pms were responded quickly and with good info on the product.
2) Are replicas weak sauce or do some actually have good fitment?
3) I need a place to get it painted/installed (front sides and rear add on) I need a place near baltimore and about how much do you guys think it will cost. I can take the front bumper off is a DIY install out of the question again with fitment etc.
4) Any other dos and donts appreciated. Id like to learn from some of your guys mistakes.

Ricer comments are always welcome. I love you guys. Have a great weekend

Last edited by Jgrizzle; 02-13-2009 at 02:12 PM.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:08 AM
bb1314
da Terminator!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1) Anyone heard anything about Greg@CRG?
No

Yes some do have good fitment like Shine Auto is notorious for making replica kits that fit better than the authentic version.

3) I need a place to get it painted/installed (front sides and rear add on) I need a place near baltimore and about how much do you guys think it will cost. I can take the front bumper off is a DIY install out of the question again with fitment etc.
I've been through this myself. I say pay the extra money and get a good shop to install it for you. 99% of the time a kit does not fit perfectly and will need some drilling, sanding, molding. I tried to install the kit myself and cracked parts and ended up paying more to fix and custom fit again. I say paying the whole kit is about 1k then add like $500 on top for custom fitting, installation and such.

4) Any other dos and donts appreciated. Id like to learn from some of your guys mistakes.
DO IT! You don't want to be just another Z. You want people to know it's Jgrizzle's car and not Ricky Wu's car.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:08 AM
LAKERSFAN

all i know is whatever kit you order and from whomever you order it from, make sure to inspect it very carefully before signing and accepting the delivery or pick it up yourself. make the delivery guy wait!!!

ive just read way too many horror stories.

good luck
Old 02-13-2009, 10:10 AM
Malikot
Rice Rocket

Originally Posted by bb1314
1) Anyone heard anything about Greg@CRG?
No

Yes some do have good fitment like Shine Auto is notorious for making replica kits that fit better than the authentic version.

I've been through this myself. I say pay the extra money and get a good shop to install it for you. 99% of the time a kit does not fit perfectly and will need some drilling, sanding, molding. I say paying the whole kit is about 1k then add like $500 on top for custom fitting, installation and such.

DO IT! You don't want to be just another Z. You want people to know it's YOUR car and not Ricky Wu's car.
Wow, low blow... I'm surprised you didn't call me out. ***.
Jgrizzle

Thanks guys. Anyone else have some stuff to say?
Mazinger Z

One suggestion. Get rims + suspension before you get a kit. Don't be a ricer!
Old 02-13-2009, 10:13 AM
TBDesigns
Banned

Greg@CRG is a great guy and will take care of you
Old 02-13-2009, 10:31 AM
gmueip
Hi Kids!

1. Yes, great fitment and price. Here's how my front bumper turned out https://my350z.com/forum/media-share/412683-my-dbz.html

2. See #1

3. I had my Nismo V2 front bumper and Stillen spoiler painted and installed for $500 at a shop in Alexandria VA.

4. If you want the grill painted, do not forget to ask the body shop. I forgot to do so and will now have to wait for warmer weather to take off the bumper and take some gloss black spray paint to it.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:33 AM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mazinger Z
One suggestion. Get rims + suspension before you get a kit. Don't be a ricer!
+1
Old 02-13-2009, 11:12 AM
.steeeeZ33.
@ J&D auto

Originally Posted by TBDesigns
Greg@CRG is a great guy and will take care of you
he also doesnt reply to pms.
Old 02-13-2009, 11:20 AM
RedBullRR

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Greg@CRG, has been pretty responsive to me on PM's. I just smashed my V1 Lip, and plan on purchasing a new one. Was in the works with him, so truthly how is the customer service there after you send payment?

Last edited by RedBullRR; 02-13-2009 at 11:22 AM. Reason: Spell Check
Old 02-13-2009, 11:29 AM
ALO8

make sure you spend the extra $ to have them prep the kit to perfection so that when they apply the paint it is flawless
Old 02-13-2009, 11:33 AM
TBDesigns
Banned

Originally Posted by .steeeeZ33.
Replies to all my Pm's
Old 02-13-2009, 12:14 PM
bsurdam
F-UR-ENZO

dont be cheap. go with a highly reputable shop that does good work. spending that extra money makes it worth it. to make it look good and right costs a little more money.
Old 02-13-2009, 12:43 PM
_STEVEO_01

Good advice from most of these guys. Understand that you get what you pay for, it is as simple as that. Homework is key, avoid running over to the first bodyshop you see or even the second or third. Ask them questions you already know the answers to (that's where your homework comes in), if they bullsh.it you or give you some off the wall answer, don't consider, just walk out. Ask them what kind of experience thay have working on your particular make and model of vehicle, pictures of their work always help and most reputable shops carry albums or some type of visuals to show off their great work and what they are capable of. The most important part to a great job is the preperation phase. PERIOD. Stay away from getting quotes and making phone calls, visits are always nice and shows that you care (which makes you more personable). If your not happy with the work, make them fix it, be specific and dont drive it until you feel good that your hard earned cash went to something great. As far as the brand/styling, it is totally up to you, dont listen to anybody elses opinions. You have to look at it and drive it everyday, not me or the next guy. I heard Greg is good to go, give him a call and be sure to post some pics when you have the build completed. Good luck
Old 02-13-2009, 12:45 PM
bb1314
da Terminator!

Originally Posted by _STEVEO_01
Good advice from most of these guys. Understand that you get what you pay for, it is as simple as that. Homework is key, avoid running over to the first bodyshop you see or even the second or third. Ask them questions you already know the answers to (that's where your homework comes in), if they bullsh.it you or give you some off the wall answer, don't consider, just walk out. Ask them what kind of experience thay have working on your particular make and model of vehicle, pictures of their work always help and most reputable shops carry albums or some type of visuals to show off their great work and what they are capable of. The most important part to a great job is the preperation phase. PERIOD. Stay away from getting quotes and making phone calls, visits are always nice and shows that you care (which makes you more personable). If your not happy with the work, make them fix it, be specific and dont drive it until you feel good that your hard earned cash went to something great. As far as the brand/styling, it is totally up to you, dont listen to anybody elses opinions. You have to look at it and drive it everyday, not me or the next guy. I heard Greg is good to go, give him a call and be sure to post some pics when you have the build completed. Good luck
Good advice but you also talk like my mom
Old 02-13-2009, 01:08 PM
sna z

find a local porsche or bimmer dealer who contracts their paint and body work out. for example: fletchers body and paint here in richmond does the paint and body work for the local bimmer dealership. To para-phrase a prevoius poster: there is no such thing as good, fast and cheap! if they are fast and cheap, it won't be good, if they are good and fast they won't be cheap.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:15 PM
_STEVEO_01

Good advice but you also talk like my mom

It's all good Bro...
Old 02-13-2009, 01:22 PM
gregtotheb

Originally Posted by .steeeeZ33.
doesnt reply to pms? i check my pm box at least every 4 hours. dont understand where you would get this from. i dont have any pms from you.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:46 PM
350Ricky
I like Rice

1) anyone heard anything about greg@crg?
no

2) are replicas weak sauce or do some actually have good fitment?
yes some do have good fitment like shine auto is notorious for making replica kits that fit better than the authentic version.

3) i need a place to get it painted/installed (front sides and rear add on) i need a place near baltimore and about how much do you guys think it will cost. I can take the front bumper off is a diy install out of the question again with fitment etc.
i've been through this myself. I say pay the extra money and get a good shop to install it for you. 99% of the time a kit does not fit perfectly and will need some drilling, sanding, molding. I tried to install the kit myself and cracked parts and ended up paying more to fix and custom fit again. I say paying the whole kit is about 1k then add like $500 on top for custom fitting, installation and such.

4) any other dos and donts appreciated. Id like to learn from some of your guys mistakes.
do it! You don't want to be just another z. You want people to know it's jgrizzle's car and not ricky wu's car.
hahaha!!! Fawwwk you!!

Quick Reply: Body Kit Dos and Donts