Notices
Mid-Atlantic Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Washington D.C.

mid-A MMA crew?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009 | 09:11 AM
theKoosh

Default mid-A MMA crew?

anyone here train? if so post up what art and where at, i used to do thai boxing over in germantown but had to put it on hiatus because of school... looking to get back into it this summer ideally once i get back into shape... haha
Old 03-30-2009 | 10:08 AM
rockinbboy

I kung-fui all the time.
Old 03-30-2009 | 10:09 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner
Premier Member

Already been discussed in previous threads

We have a few who used to/still do train...
Old 03-30-2009 | 10:36 AM
theKoosh

ahh my bad, searched for mma and martial arts and just found a few threads about watching fights.
Old 03-30-2009 | 10:42 AM
NX2KDET
Cpt. Nauti Raw

ZRuggern still trains I never have time (I use to/kinda rarely still do) train submissive.
Old 03-30-2009 | 10:48 AM
MDHRZ

Originally Posted by theKoosh
anyone here train? if so post up what art and where at, i used to do thai boxing over in germantown but had to put it on hiatus because of school... looking to get back into it this summer ideally once i get back into shape... haha
I did it for a few years then stopped and never went back. Thinking about starting some BJJ classes soon.

My brother still does it though. Just won his first fight in Fredericksburg at the BattleFC event. He trains/teaches in Southern Maryland for SOMD Martial Arts. He'll be fighting again on May 9. Not sure what is near Bethesda though.

Last edited by MDHRZ; 03-30-2009 at 10:51 AM.
Old 03-30-2009 | 11:14 AM
theKoosh

Originally Posted by [MD]3FiFtY
I did it for a few years then stopped and never went back. Thinking about starting some BJJ classes soon.

My brother still does it though. Just won his first fight in Fredericksburg at the BattleFC event. He trains/teaches in Southern Maryland for SOMD Martial Arts. He'll be fighting again on May 9. Not sure what is near Bethesda though.
that's pretty sweet, good for him. i might go back to the place that i did it at before, but the pricing is kinda steep so i was curious where everyone else is at.. there's really only two games in town over here, and both are about twice as much as what my buds near baltimore are paying for about the same # of sessions.
Old 03-30-2009 | 12:06 PM
MDHRZ

How much is it per month for you?
Old 03-30-2009 | 12:33 PM
theKoosh

well, i'm paying about $130-135/mo for unlimited classes... they're paying about $70/mo for the same, i'm jealous haha.
Old 03-30-2009 | 12:53 PM
MDHRZ

Sounds about right. If you can get there 3-4 times a week then I'd say you are getting your $$$ worth.
Old 03-30-2009 | 01:27 PM
terps

i was gonna get into it but never really took the plung, up in bmore there is a few places like ground control but ive heard its pretty awful(training wise) and the hours are real inconvient like 4pm and noon.
Old 03-30-2009 | 02:37 PM
jeffie7

I train traditional karate, that means, anything open handed from judo, jujitsu, to kicks and punches, main goal is nothing more then self defense.

I got out of it for awhile, now that I'm moved into my new to me house and pretty much setup, I'd like to find a few people to train/work with. My price is zero.

Only down side is I have very little room and no mats.

http://www.koryu-uchinadi.com/
Old 03-30-2009 | 10:25 PM
Barnabas
National Z Club President

I have done some BJJ and my buddy just told me a place opened up near my house so I might get back into it when I return to the states.

I really enjoy doing submissions and ground work. I dont really like the striking and standing up parts of fighting. (probally because its my weakness)

But I am looking forward to getting back into it.
Old 03-31-2009 | 06:13 AM
ZRuggernDC

I train BJJ. Teach Modern Army Combatives. Theres a group that rolls in the area. Mostly about bunch a beginners that like to brag about being able to do ground and pound, blah blah blah. . . . .

Trained in American Kickboxing, Muay Thai, Judo, Tai Chi, and Shutokun Karate.
Ranked in Georgia through Alliance Jujitsu. They hold annual matches.

P.S. Who gives a crap if the topic has been discussed already. MID-A posts as of late have been lacking so at least your posting something interesting man.. Eff em if they don't like it.
Old 03-31-2009 | 06:15 AM
ZRuggernDC

Originally Posted by Barnabas
I have done some BJJ and my buddy just told me a place opened up near my house so I might get back into it when I return to the states.

I really enjoy doing submissions and ground work. I dont really like the striking and standing up parts of fighting. (probally because its my weakness)

But I am looking forward to getting back into it.
Dude,
Ya gotta stand up to take em down.. Judo is great for take downs. The thing to remember is that nobody starts a fight from a dominate body position.
Old 03-31-2009 | 07:03 AM
Barnabas
National Z Club President

Originally Posted by ZRuggernDC
Dude,
Ya gotta stand up to take em down.. Judo is great for take downs. The thing to remember is that nobody starts a fight from a dominate body position.
Yea i know thats why I really want to get back into it and learn allot more then I have. I just havnt had the time/opportunity to do it yet. I enjoy doing it though, so with proper training I think I will like being on my feet allot more once I get comfortable.
Old 03-31-2009 | 07:13 AM
kyle22

i am very interested in taking MMA classes just dont know where there are any good places. do you guys recommend any?
Old 03-31-2009 | 09:14 AM
MDHRZ

Originally Posted by ZRuggernDC
I train BJJ. Teach Modern Army Combatives. Theres a group that rolls in the area. Mostly about bunch a beginners that like to brag about being able to do ground and pound, blah blah blah. . . . .

Trained in American Kickboxing, Muay Thai, Judo, Tai Chi, and Shutokun Karate.
Ranked in Georgia through Alliance Jujitsu. They hold annual matches.

P.S. Who gives a crap if the topic has been discussed already. MID-A posts as of late have been lacking so at least your posting something interesting man.. Eff em if they don't like it.
There was a guy fighting at the last Battle FC who did Army Combatives. Forgot his name though.
Old 03-31-2009 | 10:58 AM
ZRuggernDC

Originally Posted by kyle22
i am very interested in taking MMA classes just dont know where there are any good places. do you guys recommend any?
Capitol JuJitsu would be a great spot. I am about to cut rugby outta my diet so if they have classes on Saturdays I am gonna start going there.

I am sure there are a few other places but haven't done much research..
I know there is a Pentagon BJJ group but I know a few of the guys that roll and I consider them lame so definitly not rolling with them. More like just wrestling which is pointless...
Old 03-31-2009 | 11:06 AM
theKoosh

Originally Posted by terps
i was gonna get into it but never really took the plung, up in bmore there is a few places like ground control but ive heard its pretty awful(training wise) and the hours are real inconvient like 4pm and noon.
hmm those are the guys i was referring to... my friends who have been to GC say its dirt cheap, they're newbs though so they don't have much to compare to...

i've trained at yamasaki in rockville before, and switched over to mike moses' evolve academy in germantown. yamasaki's got decent instruction and facilities (way better for its bjj than mt), but i'm not a fan of the ownership... MM's on the other hand is great, just a little pricey (at least from what i thought). mike is a great guy and has top notch instructors, many diff programs/timeslots available, etc.

Last edited by theKoosh; 03-31-2009 at 11:08 AM.

Quick Reply: mid-A MMA crew?