Notices
Mid-Atlantic Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Washington D.C.
View Poll Results: Which MID-A Shop do you Preffer
Function tuned
37.61%
Hill's Garage
10.26%
Elite Performance
12.82%
Ptuning
4.27%
PF Super cars
5.13%
DIY
15.38%
AAM
41.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

SHOPS of the MID-A, which one do you preffer

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 09:24 AM
ZRuggernDC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Driven1
I honestly thought the original intent was to see who would let what shop actually work on their car? With some of the vendors voting it's throws in the "buying parts" aspect which the other shops don't even really do and was never really a question.
I agree. This is supposed to be which shop you have gone to spent the cash and have some experience that makes you come back to that shop to spend more cash for more tuning or what have you. So folks that haven't really had work done to their car voting kinda does make it uneven.

Just seems a bit out of place. If you aren't a customer of the shop you vote for how is your input even valid? If you haven't spend even $20.00 at a shop how can you say what kind of service was provided and how can you base a comment even worthy of notation?
Old 04-22-2009, 09:25 AM
lek at ngc

^^ i guess you're right but both AAM and FUNTIONTUNED wasn't just opened yesterday.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:26 AM
NX2KDET
Cpt. Nauti Raw

Originally Posted by Jeremy@Altered
We can just agree to disagree here, i have seen some stuff that has come from other local shops and i have showed the owners all the issues i have found. They will be lifetime AAM customers now. Time will tell my friend.
As well as local shops fixing problems on my car that an AAM product caused, it goes both ways. He is just voicing his opinion, you already stated you case.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:27 AM
lek at ngc

^^ i've actually heard good things about AAM parts I have to add. Well excluding the fuel pumps that smelled like gas... but other than that I've heard good things about parts.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:27 AM
Jeremy@Altered
Banned

Well it didnt happen after Jan 12th of this year so there is nothing i can do about it but tell you that it wouldnt happen again. We have so much combined experience here that we should have zero issues along the way.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:30 AM
NX2KDET
Cpt. Nauti Raw

Originally Posted by lek at ngc
^^ i've actually heard good things about AAM parts I have to add. Well excluding the fuel pumps that smelled like gas... but other than that I've heard good things about parts.
The spacer on my car was torqued down to the appropriate torque settings and I used all the nuts and bolts that came with the kit. So after some time and stress on it my upper plenum cracked and their test pipes sounded like a a family of snakes were living in your ear on decel and they rattled, I remember I took this girl Jennifer out on a date and she was like what is that hissssssss noise, I felt ghetto for some reason after I told her.

Last edited by NX2KDET; 04-22-2009 at 09:33 AM.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:31 AM
lek at ngc

Originally Posted by NX2KDET
The spacer on my car was torqued down to the appropriate torque settings and I used all the nuts ad bolts that came with the kit and some time and stress on it my upper plenum cracked, its from a CNC machine I have some experience with them in college and their is error in the final products every now and then so I wasn't too bitter.
oh daaaaym is this an isolated incident or common? I really haven't heard about this before.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:35 AM
NX2KDET
Cpt. Nauti Raw

Originally Posted by lek at ngc
oh daaaaym is this an isolated incident or common? I really haven't heard about this before.
I never heard about the spacer problem from anywhere else(then again I didn't search at all) but as far as the test pipe hissing and rattleing is common, its the price to pay for that little bit more of performance I guess. I got some resonated ones from Danny and no more rattle and hiss and of course no rasp either, gotta learn from your mistakes I guess.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:35 AM
Jeremy@Altered
Banned

The spacer on my car was torqued down to the appropriate torque settings and I used all the nuts and bolts that came with the kit. So after some time and stress on it my upper plenum cracked and their test pipes sounded like a a family of snakes were living in your ear on decel and they rattled, I remember I took this girl Jennifer out on a date and she was like what is that hissssssss noise, I felt ghetto for some reason after I told her.
haha, that sucks, we really havent had any issues. i have personally installed around 50 AAM plenum spacers on cars with no issues. Im sure we could have provided a upper plenum to you and another spacer if you showed us the defect.

We arent here to get anyone, we just all need better communication.

I have seen a lot of the resonated test pipes from Megan and other companies have issues.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:36 AM
Clint@Altered
Banned

The spacer on my car was torqued down to the appropriate torque settings and I used all the nuts ad bolts that came with the kit and some time and stress on it my upper plenum cracked, its from a CNC machine I have some experience with them in college and their is error in the final products every now and then so I wasn't too bitter..
Stating that there is an error in our machining process is a BIG unfounded statement. If your going to throw out comments like that, by all means please back them up.

Regardless, I have tons of plenums laying around. One call would have solved your issue no matter who's fault it was.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:37 AM
terps

^mine been fine for 2+ years, isolated incident or installer error. If you torque the center ones too much you can easily crack the upper plenum. it is a fine balance between getting them to seal and not going to crazy
Old 04-22-2009, 09:37 AM
NX2KDET
Cpt. Nauti Raw

haha, that sucks, we really havent had any issues. i have personally installed around 50 AAM plenum spacers on cars with no issues. Im sure we could have provided a upper plenum to you and another spacer if you showed us the defect.

We arent here to get anyone, we just all need better communication.

I have seen a lot of the resonated test pipes from Megan and other companies have issues.
Yeah I know someone with the Megan and he hated them, I honestly wasn't mad at all about the plenum I knew I would get it taken care of right away, I just hated my car sounds like chewbacca when the leak from the plenum first happened.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:40 AM
NX2KDET
Cpt. Nauti Raw

Originally Posted by Clint@Altered
Stating that there is an error in our machining process is a BIG unfounded statement. If your going to throw out comments like that, by all means please back them up.

Regardless, I have tons of plenums laying around. One call would have solved your issue no mater who's fault it was.
Hince the reason I re edited my post, I know the CNC machine you use it top notch I have seen it with my own eyes the one I messed around with was really old and the instructor informed me of errors. I did use a torque wrench when I installed the spacer(I installed about 6 or 7 now nothing too much) and my car was the only one that suffered.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:42 AM
Jeremy@Altered
Banned

Maybe the plenum was weak from the factory.

Just wondering? Did you reuse the same spacer with another upper plenum?
Old 04-22-2009, 09:43 AM
lek at ngc

lol haha better than brakes squeaking... so how did you resolve it?
Old 04-22-2009, 09:44 AM
NX2KDET
Cpt. Nauti Raw

Maybe the plenum was weak from the factory.

Just wondering? Did you reuse the same spacer with another upper plenum?
Yes and I havent had a problem, what I am guessing is when the Stillen supercharger came off my car the bolts could of got tightened down too much or something could of happened(It was in SGP's possesion at this time).
Old 04-22-2009, 09:57 AM
Jose2008Z

Elite Auto in Laurel gets my vote...

I think one thing people are missing here is that most people haven't been to ALL of the listed shops. I've been to Elite several times, and AAM once.

The Customer Service at AAM was subpar to me...Elite FTW
Old 04-22-2009, 10:06 AM
buzzardmountain

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd pick the one that didn't have to sell itself so hard......
Old 04-22-2009, 10:30 AM
tylerxfire

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Clint@Altered
CORRECTION

When a shop blows up a Z/G motor... they end up coming to AAM to have it done the right way. Now that should give you all the info needed. If you ever visit ME or JEREMY you'll see many a Z/G here that had work done by another shop and needs a new build.

+1
Old 04-22-2009, 10:38 AM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by buzzardmountain
I'd pick the one that didn't have to sell itself so hard......
You mean defend itself? What's so wrong with them AAM defending themselves from bashing and unfounded comments? Part of the problem is they didn't do enough of it in the past until Clint and Jeremy stepped their game up...

When a shop blows up a Z/G motor... they end up coming to AAM to have it done the right way. Now that should give you all the info needed. If you ever visit ME or JEREMY you'll see many a Z/G here that had work done by another shop and needs a new build.
+2

Quick Reply: SHOPS of the MID-A, which one do you preffer