Notices
Mid-Atlantic Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Washington D.C.

Mid-A Epic Random-ness Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 03:21 PM
abui01

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Barnabas
Why would a motorcycle helmet fail the track ?? I thought it was the same specs>?
Helmets have different safety ratings. Motorcycle helmets are designed for one impact since you're not encaged in a moving tin can; you fly off a bike and land once. A car helmet however, is designed for multiple impacts (imagine your head bouncing off your roll cage) A motorcylce helmet would protect you on the first impact inside a vehicle, but it does not ensure much safety after that.

Look to spend at least 1k for a good helmet that doesn't weigh 10lbs. Preferably carbon fiber. The one im looking at is 5k... fawk my life

Last edited by abui01; 04-15-2010 at 03:23 PM.
Old 04-15-2010, 03:24 PM
Barnabas
National Z Club President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by abui01
Helmets have different safety ratings. Motorcycle helmets are designed for one impact since you're not encaged in a moving tin can; you fly off a bike and land once. A car helmet however, is designed for multiple impacts (imagine your head bouncing off your roll cage) A motorcylce helmet would protect you on the first impact inside a vehicle, but it does not ensure much safety after that.

Look to spend at least 1k for a good helmet that doesn't weigh 10lbs. Preferably carbon fiber. The one im looking at is 5k... fawk my life
Damn yea fawk all that... I have never had a proble3m with my bike helmet at the track... o well

No way im spending 5k on a helmet lol thats what my bike cost
Old 04-15-2010, 03:51 PM
bb1314
da Terminator!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just cranked up my Z!!! I'm gonna get off work early tomorrow and do an oil change and check around the car to look for any small issues. I might be able to bring out the Z to D&V this Sunday.
Old 04-15-2010, 03:52 PM
Barnabas

Originally Posted by bb1314
Just cranked up my Z!!! I'm gonna get off work early tomorrow and do an oil change and check around the car to look for any small issues. I might be able to bring out the Z to D&V this Sunday.
Sweet!!!!!
Old 04-15-2010, 04:13 PM
ZS14RR

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

im thinkin about going this sunday also....just debating
Old 04-15-2010, 04:15 PM
jeffie7

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by abui01
I have to call you out on this.

Do you really think motorcycle crashes are a one time fall?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqB97...eature=related

When you lowside the bike pretty much slips out from under you while you're leaning over. Most of the time you slide down the pavement however its pretty common to catch a limb or two and start rolling or tumbling, this can be end over end.

Highside is when you get bucked off the bike. This launches you into the air causing you to come down landing on whatever happens to be leading the way, you can get lucky and hit the ground and slide or once again tumble.

The motorcycle riders helmet might hit the pavement 20-30-40 times in a single crash if the rider is filping or rolling bad. Thankfully a good bit of crashes end with the rider just sliding out.

Add street riding into the picture then you have cars to worry about your head hitting, you hit a car you might smash your head into the car but then you can get thrown over top the car end over end landing and again flipping around.

The main difference from a motorcycle helmet and a car helmet is..... ready for it?

Fire

Cars tend to catch fire and like to burn people. That's why people wear full fire resistant suits that cost a **** load of money, same goes for the helmet. All the money ins't spent for impacts. It's for the fire protection.

Last edited by jeffie7; 04-15-2010 at 04:24 PM.
Old 04-15-2010, 04:18 PM
jeffie7

from smf.org

What are the differences between the SA, M and K standards?
The SA standard was designed for competitive auto racing while M standard was for motorcycling and other motorsports. The K standard was released to accommodate helmets used in karting. There are three major differences between them:

1. The SA standard requires flammability test while the M and K standards do not.
2. The SA and K standards allow for a narrower visual field than M standard (Some SA and K certified helmets may not be street legal).
3. The SA and K standards include a rollbar multi impact test while M standard does not.
Car helmets are tested to hold up to hitting the roll cage, motorcycles are not tested with roll cage impacts because motorcycles do not have them lol.

Last edited by jeffie7; 04-15-2010 at 04:22 PM.
Old 04-15-2010, 04:30 PM
H.M.F.I.C

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeeaaaaa......sooo........right when i wanna bike... someone puts up a vid like that lol
Old 04-15-2010, 04:40 PM
H.M.F.I.C

Speaking of bikes.. BAAARNY! your bike is Hella cool man.. i was tempted to reenact the scene from STEP BROTHERS all over your handle bars while Frank had you occupied bwaaaahahaha...

Dood... i dont' know if something is touching.. but now when i turn the car on... sounds like the WHOLE car is coming on if that makes sense.. like metal on metal action hahaha...

I wanna order those berk high flows.. even if it still has some Slight hissess, i'll be fine with that..

I went to advanced today to get a fuse and sure enough they had a K&N filter for the STOCK! dood

after that little trick frank did about the air from the fan's kicking down the rpms and how the air was so hot by the filter and how cold it was behind the bumper.. i bought the K&N for now and gonna put the stock back and figure out a way to rig up that bumper hole to the hole connected to the intake lol..
Old 04-15-2010, 04:54 PM
Barnabas

cool cool

And thanks for the props on the bike
Old 04-15-2010, 04:58 PM
H.M.F.I.C

i'm still amazed at that air thing Frank did today man.. i thought he was fockin with us lol..

i had no idea how sensative it was lol
Old 04-15-2010, 04:59 PM
jeffie7

I can't wait to see barnie flip it tomorrow =)

Barnie you still willing to teach me a thing or two around 11-12?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQo64mlNExU

Anyone who rides needs to know the risk. Dress to crash and hope it doesn't happen. Thankfully I don't know many people who have crashed while messing around. Sadly most big crashes happen when you are just riding at a normal pace keeping with traffic. Just like that video.
Old 04-15-2010, 05:04 PM
MDHRZ

Holy ****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-15-2010, 05:05 PM
jeffie7

Originally Posted by MDHRZ
Holy ****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Come riding with us. We need someone to lead the pack.
Old 04-15-2010, 05:10 PM
H.M.F.I.C

Originally Posted by jeffie7
I can't wait to see barnie flip it tomorrow =)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQo64mlNExU

Anyone who rides needs to know the risk. Dress to crash and hope it doesn't happen. Thankfully I don't know many people who have crashed while messing around. Sadly most big crashes happen when you are just riding at a normal pace keeping with traffic. Just like that video.
Lately i noticed you've been talking about the accidents and what not Jeffie... I can understand what you're saying about the safety and precautions. But it's getting a lil unnerving when you say you can't wait for barny to flip his bike and what not...not sure if you're joking anymore...

I wouldnt want to wish that on anyone...joking or not..
Old 04-15-2010, 05:12 PM
H.M.F.I.C

Hey Barny have you seen the stillen y pipe Gzilla is selling on the g forum? i'm thinking with that and the berk high flow's would match but i'm concerned with not having any flex flanges and all that torquing and what not.
Old 04-15-2010, 05:23 PM
Barnabas

Originally Posted by jeffie7

I have to take my poly at 8am ill text you when I get out.
Old 04-15-2010, 05:24 PM
Barnabas

Originally Posted by H.M.F.I.C
Hey Barny have you seen the stillen y pipe Gzilla is selling on the g forum? i'm thinking with that and the berk high flow's would match but i'm concerned with not having any flex flanges and all that torquing and what not.
you would be fine with no flex joints my NISMO Y didnt have flex joints either.
Old 04-15-2010, 05:24 PM
jeffie7

Originally Posted by H.M.F.I.C
Lately i noticed you've been talking about the accidents and what not Jeffie... I can understand what you're saying about the safety and precautions. But it's getting a lil unnerving when you say you can't wait for barny to flip his bike and what not...not sure if you're joking anymore...

I wouldnt want to wish that on anyone...joking or not..
I don't wish for him to crash, but I hope he plans to crash everytime he goes out.

I plan on crashing every time I take my bike out and expect it. It's nice when I make it home with zero issues =) that's a part of riding. As soon as you stop being on full alert 100% of the time you ride. You get hit, or hit a patch of sand, or friggin grass clippings.

With that being said, barnie went from a 600 to a 1000. He'll hear me nagging about did he flip it or highside it for a good while to come. Once hes fully adjusted to the power of the 1000 I'll back off a bit. However, at that point he'll start to push it in turns causing highslides to become easy. When pushing a 1000 all it takes is the slightly twitch of the wrist while in a turn to get thrown off.

600s are VERY forgiving.

Barnie don't forget my stand.
Old 04-15-2010, 05:26 PM
jeffie7

Just remember folks.

Riding a bike is no different then having a turboed car.

It's not about if, but when.

bike = crash turboed car = oil and metal pieces shooting out the side of engine block

sooner or later.............

Quick Reply: Mid-A Epic Random-ness Discussion Thread