Notices
Mid-Atlantic Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Washington D.C.

Fond Farewell

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2009 | 07:31 PM
KManZ
Banned

Default Fond Farewell

Mid A,

It's the end of the road for my Z ownership, as of today at 3:30PM. I know that I haven't been a huge public figure here in the Mid A, but I have been here for a long time, so I figured I'd just say a quick goodbye. It's been a fun 6 years of 350Z mania, have met some great folks and had some fun times. Alas, the time has come for me to move on to something more practical, something I can drive reliably in the winter time, something that I can fit more than a midget in. Never thought I would part with the old girl, and I know that I am going to get that heart ache every time I see one on the road from now on

I got a killer deal on an '09 STi that I couldn't pass up. I don't want an SUV, and I want something that has some cajones that also gives me more practicality. A lot of people don't like the newer hatch-style direction that Subaru took, and neither did I when it was announced, but after seeing the car in person, I was really struck by how taunt and aggressive a package it really is. It only looks good in darker colors, and I am not thrilled about the Uncle Ben's Altezza Taillights, but I'll get over them (or I'll find a red overlay). The handling is confidence inspiring and the turbos are devilishly fun (my first turbo'd car). I am loving this thing!

Anyways, I won't bore you anymore with my sob story. Thanks for the good times, Mid A. This goodbye thread is rather lame, but I am having trouble writing at the present thanks to Mr. Guiness and 2 Percocets (bad back injury, painful, this is the only relief for that and my emotional distress at missing my Z ).

Ok, I'll write something better later, and post pics.
Old 08-15-2009 | 07:48 PM
Z33@SIM

good luck with the new car
Old 08-15-2009 | 08:09 PM
bb1314
da Terminator!

You better come out to lunch at Tysons with us still!
Old 08-15-2009 | 08:14 PM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic
Premier Member

harmon motive has very good red overlays for the WRX/STi
Old 08-15-2009 | 08:52 PM
KManZ
Banned

Originally Posted by bb1314
You better come out to lunch at Tysons with us still!
I haven't been out to a lunch meet since the first one I went to I'll stay tuned for the next one.

Originally Posted by USN HM 350Z
harmon motive has very good red overlays for the WRX/STi
Good to know, thanks! How's the paint on your WRX holding up?
Also, your avatar is fricken awesome. Hendo is crucial... our last, best hope for defeating the Spider.
Old 08-15-2009 | 08:56 PM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Originally Posted by KManZ
Good to know, thanks! How's the paint on your WRX holding up?
Also, your avatar is fricken awesome. Hendo is crucial... our last, best hope for defeating the Spider.
paint is great so far. I am going to be fully detailing it in the near future and applying FMJ before I head overseas.

I agree with Dan being the best hope, but do not count out Marquardt.
Old 08-15-2009 | 09:04 PM
abui01

I'll see you over on Nasioc! Subaru FTW
Old 08-15-2009 | 09:47 PM
Chen

WOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo Another subaru owner!! STi ftw. Seriously though, check forums for any issues with the 09 motors. I found out that my car shoulda blown up....and has stupid tune and cheapas* pistons.
Old 08-16-2009 | 05:28 AM
KAT_Ayanami

I got a killer deal on an '09 STi that I couldn't pass up. I don't want an SUV, and I want something that has some cajones that also gives me more practicality. A lot of people don't like the newer hatch-style direction that Subaru took, and neither did I when it was announced, but after seeing the car in person, I was really struck by how taunt and aggressive a package it really is.
Did you mean "Cojones"?

Cajones = drawers.
Cojones = *****.

O.o

I did not like the look of the new model either until seeing it in person. Although, I like the looks on the 09 WRX 10 times better since the STI looks WAY too rounded (specially the front bumper).

Besides, we WRXs are fasta' on a straight line!!! And we all know we live our lives 1/4 of a mile at a time!!! And for those 14 secs or more, we are free!!

Enjoy!
Old 08-16-2009 | 06:09 AM
SirSpeedyZ

best of luck with your new car, I hated the STi hatch at first, but I saw one last night it looks pretty good

better than those winged STis
Old 08-16-2009 | 06:57 AM
Chen

Wingless ftw
Old 08-16-2009 | 07:05 AM
350Ricky
I like Rice

Like ahn says, Ill see you over at the Nasioc forums.
Old 08-16-2009 | 07:05 AM
michaeljr6

sti > 350z
Old 08-16-2009 | 07:26 AM
KManZ
Banned

Originally Posted by KAT_Ayanami
Did you mean "Cojones"?

Cajones = drawers.
Cojones = *****.

O.o

I did not like the look of the new model either until seeing it in person. Although, I like the looks on the 09 WRX 10 times better since the STI looks WAY too rounded (specially the front bumper).

Besides, we WRXs are fasta' on a straight line!!! And we all know we live our lives 1/4 of a mile at a time!!! And for those 14 secs or more, we are free!!

Enjoy!
No, no, I really want a car with drawers j/p, good to know I have been typing stuff like "That dude has some serious drawers"

I asked a guy on another forum I go to, who works for Subaru, why anyone would choose the STi over the new WRX. He said that the 0-60 times are the only area which the WRX can compete. The STi is the complete package: handling, bulletproof transmission (cryogenically treated gears), Brembos, Driver Controlled Center Diff, VDC, bulged fenders, and more that I am learning as I go

Originally Posted by Chen
WOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo Another subaru owner!! STi ftw. Seriously though, check forums for any issues with the 09 motors. I found out that my car shoulda blown up....and has stupid tune and cheapas* pistons.
Yeah, the first thing people recommend is getting a tune done to change the factory tune, as it is causing engines to go ka-plooey. Also, the factory alignment is terrible too. Overall, there isn't too much confidence in the STi (just read the Car & Driver long term test).

Originally Posted by abui01
I'll see you over on Nasioc! Subaru FTW
I haven't signed up there yet, but am on iwsti.com. NASIOC is next though!
Old 08-16-2009 | 07:36 AM
KManZ
Banned

Originally Posted by USN HM 350Z
paint is great so far. I am going to be fully detailing it in the near future and applying FMJ before I head overseas.

I agree with Dan being the best hope, but do not count out Marquardt.
You think Marquardt will make it past Demian Maia? And then there is the injury-plagued Yushin Okami, who gets the nod as a serious contender.
Old 08-16-2009 | 07:54 AM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic
Premier Member

You think Marquardt will make it past Demian Maia? And then there is the injury-plagued Yushin Okami, who gets the nod as a serious contender.
I think he is going to walk through Maia. Look at Nate's resume.
Old 08-16-2009 | 11:48 AM
bsurdam
F-UR-ENZO

good luck with everything.
Old 08-16-2009 | 02:05 PM
KManZ
Banned

Here are some pics of the new ride. It says "STi" on like 88 different places on the car 10hp a piece I guess.
Attached Thumbnails Fond Farewell-oldtown-07aug09-1.jpg   Fond Farewell-oldtown-07aug09-1-2.jpg   Fond Farewell-oldtown-07aug09-1-3.jpg  
Old 08-16-2009 | 03:50 PM
Joy_ride

+1! i love the new sti
Old 08-16-2009 | 04:51 PM
KAT_Ayanami

I asked a guy on another forum I go to, who works for Subaru, why anyone would choose the STi over the new WRX. He said that the 0-60 times are the only area which the WRX can compete. The STi is the complete package: handling, bulletproof transmission (cryogenically treated gears), Brembos, Driver Controlled Center Diff, VDC, bulged fenders, and more that I am learning as I go
All that is true.

Although the 0-60 is not the only pro we have Our cars are and feel lighter with the 5 speed and all the stuff that is missing (such as two differencials) LOL

The thing that I do NOT like about the WRX against the STI is the suspension work and how everything inside the car feels CHEAP!

Since I am looking to maybe sell it to get something that I can pay in full (I do not like the payments anymore :P) I stopped the idea of purchasing the upgrades I had selected.

I guess we will see you around!!

Quick Reply: Fond Farewell