Notices
Mid-Atlantic Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Washington D.C.

Gonna buy a jeep

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2009 | 07:22 PM
Barnabas
National Z Club President

Originally Posted by bb1314
I have a solution... Get a spot that's walking distance from work and problem solved! I'm about to do that and ditch my xB.
I used to ride my bike to work sometimes since my office is less then 2 miles from my house
Old 10-16-2009 | 08:10 PM
Chen

Originally Posted by Jgrizzle
Alright fine.

WRX or Audi it is. You guys are right. I dont think I want a jeep. I think i would get annoyed after a while.
Stay away from the B5 2.8 Audi A4, they're nothing but trouble. If you get a audi get the 1.8T, it's turbo'd.

Or

Get a wrx. Try to find a stock one and get all service records and make sure the trans is not effed. Wrx have glass of a trans. It would be awesome if you can find one with the andrewtech ppg's.
Old 10-16-2009 | 08:14 PM
Chen

Originally Posted by abui01
If you want *ultimate* handling: any WRX that's above the year 2002.
If you want *ultiamte* speed/torque/acceleration: any Impreza from 93-01. (The 1995 4dr sedans were actually the lightest, however there's only a 5 lbs difference between the coupe and sedans of this year model.. yea.. weird eh?)

The 2002+ chassis is much more rigid than the previous models, but they're also 400 lbs heavier. You can add a TBE (Turbo Back Exhaust,) intake, and chip to make 230-250awhp which can toast your Z anyday of the week in any weather.

In 2005, they started making the 2.5 litre turbos WRX's, 02-04 had the 2.0 litres, if you can get your hands on the bigger displacement engines... do it!

However, if you want the more classic Imprezas (93-01,) they're MUCH lighter and you can make them MUCH quicker (in a straight line) STI and WRX engines drop right in these suckers. They're capable of 9-10 second runs in the 1/4 mile since you can strip these down to 2500/2600 lbs combined with 330awhp (on a stock sti block and stock turbo!) you have yourself a monster!

The handling of the 93-01 imprezas is pretty darn good (not as good as the newer ones, but still awesome.) Great for off-roading/snow driving/rain racing or any type of weather.

Maintenance on these cars are SUPER LOW. You hardly ever need to change a single thing except maybe the wheel bearings. AWD is harsh on the stock bearings and they go out every 40-50k miles.

With a 10k budget, I can hook you up with a guy selling his Impreza RSTi (RS + STI engine swap) who's looking for 11-12k, but I'm pretty sure you can talk it down to 10k cash.

Warning though: Once you get one, you'll never want to drive your Z again!

It's strength lies in low speed corners, you can overcome your opponent by using your AWD advantage. The local AutoX champion here drives a 01' Impreza 2.5 RS. However, during long sweeping turns these cars don't go as fast (like 100+ MPH turns) But if you don't do many 100+ mph turns, you should be fine.

Oh did I mention it gets 25/30 MPG?!? Holla!!

PS. I myself have a 00' Impreza, you should test drive it at the next meet and see for yourself.

Audi's tend to not be as reliable, and they don't go any faster. However, they're a lot more luxurious (if that's what you like?)
Listen to this guy. Once you get a subaru you'll never want to get in the Z again.

BTW, the 05 wrx does not come in 2.5litre, that's only the sti's. My friend has a 05wrx and it's a 2.0
Old 10-16-2009 | 09:47 PM
PhiSig
Wheel Whore

Damn Shin, your Jeep is looking great!
Old 10-17-2009 | 11:14 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Goku350z2007
lol good luck with the jeep, i heard lots of problems with them.
+1 JEEP = Chrysler product = FAIL

1. g** jeep
A jeep wrangler, jeep YJ or TJ. Most people that drive these jeeps are not actually g** but most of them take to the beach surfing lifestyle. I personally call these people vasoliners because they have slight homosexual tendencies and they are usually meatheads. They also use gel or vasoline in their hair to give it a certain style.

Most people that drive these jeeps are okay but the jeeps are still flaming as hell and i'd never own one.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...erm=gay%20jeep

Old 10-19-2009 | 03:39 AM
Jgrizzle

Originally Posted by phunkenstein
Yet another thread fail.

Get whatever the **** you want.
? I asked opinions/knowledge about a car on a car forum? How is that a fail?

Originally Posted by MDHRZ
Yet another post fail
hahahha.

Originally Posted by bb1314
I have a solution... Get a spot that's walking distance from work and problem solved! I'm about to do that and ditch my xB.
I dont think they allow the type of work I do near baltimore and I will never live in harford county

Originally Posted by Cass007
+1 JEEP = Chrysler product = FAIL

1. g** jeep
A jeep wrangler, jeep YJ or TJ. Most people that drive these jeeps are not actually g** but most of them take to the beach surfing lifestyle. I personally call these people vasoliners because they have slight homosexual tendencies and they are usually meatheads. They also use gel or vasoline in their hair to give it a certain style.

Most people that drive these jeeps are okay but the jeeps are still flaming as hell and i'd never own one.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...erm=gay%20jeep

Are you hitting on me chris?
Old 10-19-2009 | 03:40 AM
Jgrizzle

Thanks for all the good info guys. As always the Mid A comes through.
Old 10-19-2009 | 05:58 AM
phunkenstein

John, I gave my opinion.

Audi if you want luxury.
WRX/STi/any Subaru if you want control.
Old 10-19-2009 | 06:43 AM
Jgrizzle

nice. Thanks man.
Old 10-19-2009 | 07:51 AM
woodrow88

soooo jdawg what are you getting now a jeep or what
Old 10-20-2009 | 09:22 AM
.steeeeZ33.
@ J&D auto

GET A JEEP! u wont regret it! then we can have MID-A 4wheelin days!

DO IT!

Last edited by .steeeeZ33.; 10-20-2009 at 09:24 AM.
Old 10-20-2009 | 09:54 AM
Jgrizzle

sweet candy
Old 10-20-2009 | 03:45 PM
Barnabas

Originally Posted by .steeeeZ33.
GET A JEEP! u wont regret it! then we can have MID-A 4wheelin days!

DO IT!
Im down for a 4 wheeling day!!! Im not quite as jacked and off road ready as you guys but I have 4wd
Old 10-21-2009 | 09:14 AM
All SmileZ

Adding mine to the Jeep goodness. Maybe not a "real" Jeep compared to some of the others since I'm only good for going fast in a straight line and looking good. But here's a little Jeep/HEMI ****:

Backshot

Underneath the panties
Old 10-21-2009 | 11:35 AM
terps

step dads got an 03 grand cherokee(not a real jeep i know) but it has so many issues and the jeep warrenty is garbage. I had to replace the window motor, recall on seat heaters, water droplets on oil caps?, battery dies often. its the v8 and has like 70k miles and was always serviced and taken care of(step dad's a military guy) and it has its issues. i wouldnt say its horrible service wise but it has its issues.

you know they have issue and if you still want it get one, but know what ur getting yourself into and you will be fine. id recommend a jeep over some econobox 4 banger rav 4 or similiar(although my boss's wife had a rav 4 and he whipped that thing in the snow and it was pretty planted)
Old 10-21-2009 | 01:28 PM
Dixeydarlin86

Meh. I've always had a truck/suv and a car. And I beat the **** out of my trucks. I've never had much luck with jeeps. But, flame it all you want, ford trucks/suvs are out of this world. I have a 97 explorer with 240,000 miles and I haven't done much more then scheduled maintenance. I have an 02 f150 xl heavyhalf with a bunch of mods on it and again, never any troubles. But then again, even though both my jeeps were fails, my best friend has an 08 Wrangler and she loves it. SO it's really the person.
Old 10-21-2009 | 01:47 PM
C5_vette

Originally Posted by terps
step dads got an 03 grand cherokee(not a real jeep i know) but it has so many issues and the jeep warrenty is garbage. I had to replace the window motor, recall on seat heaters, water droplets on oil caps?, battery dies often. its the v8 and has like 70k miles and was always serviced and taken care of(step dad's a military guy) and it has its issues. i wouldnt say its horrible service wise but it has its issues.

you know they have issue and if you still want it get one, but know what ur getting yourself into and you will be fine. id recommend a jeep over some econobox 4 banger rav 4 or similiar(although my boss's wife had a rav 4 and he whipped that thing in the snow and it was pretty planted)
WAT? plenty of people beat the crap out of GC's off road, they do just fine well at least the WJ's and the ZJ's cant speak for the newest body style...

thats unfortunate about your step dad's, but as most people have said the jeep motor to get is the 4.0L thats the engine I had in both of the Grand cherokees I have owned... I have never heard of the other problems you mentioned.. almost everyone I know that has a jeep has had almost no problems...including myself.. for the most part they are very reliable and can take a beating...

Last edited by C5_vette; 10-21-2009 at 01:56 PM.
Old 10-21-2009 | 03:22 PM
.steeeeZ33.
@ J&D auto

4.0's get hoes. son!
Old 10-21-2009 | 03:35 PM
Barnabas

Originally Posted by Dixeydarlin86
Meh. I've always had a truck/suv and a car. And I beat the **** out of my trucks. I've never had much luck with jeeps. But, flame it all you want, ford trucks/suvs are out of this world. I have a 97 explorer with 240,000 miles and I haven't done much more then scheduled maintenance. I have an 02 f150 xl heavyhalf with a bunch of mods on it and again, never any troubles. But then again, even though both my jeeps were fails, my best friend has an 08 Wrangler and she loves it. SO it's really the person.
Old 10-21-2009 | 08:57 PM
Chen

Get a Ford diesel. Make sure it has the 7.3liter(i think) motor. You'll never have any issues what so ever.

Quick Reply: Gonna buy a jeep