Notices
Mid-Atlantic Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Washington D.C.

Who got bushings?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 10:32 AM
vtchang

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Who got bushings?

So, after doing the whole "slammed" thing with springs, im ready to move on to something more 'practical'. I am tired of destroying my Y pipe and not being able to park in parking garages so i picked up a set of coilovers.

What does this have to do with bushings? Well many on the forum have sworn by bushings but I'd like a first/second hand experience with/in a car with bushings. As much as I enjoy working on the Z, I have other projects to work on so i want to do it right for the last time.

Does anybody in the Fairfax area with bushings want a free lunch in exchange for a ride along? Plenty of on/off ramps around where I live so it won't take long.
Old 05-17-2010, 10:36 AM
abui01

Get the Nismo Bushing set - very few people have this, but it's an awesome mod but really tedious to install.

SPL Parts differential bushing set (solid aluminum) you totally will not regret this purchase.
Old 05-17-2010, 09:50 PM
vtchang

^Thanks for the input.

Nobody else with bushings?
Old 05-17-2010, 09:58 PM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Received 117 Likes on 63 Posts

My bushings are pretty wrecked....I'll be putting the SPL's in. It's a major PITA to install......particularly the rear diff bushing.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:29 AM
vtchang

Apparently Whiteline also makes bushings for the rear diff for 1/4 the cost of SPL. It could be a happy compromise for cheap Asians like myself.

Based on the FSM it looks straight forward but we all know the Z has hidden treasures.
03threefiftyz, you should write a DIY with pictures

I'll get you started

Remove the mid pipe and exhaust
disconnect the rear propeller shaft
remove the rear sway
disconnect the rear axles
disconnect the wheel sensors
drop the bad boy and press the bushings out.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:28 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ive been wanting to replace all the suspension bushings due to age/wear and tear as well. I was going to look into Whiteline but have yet to. Id be interested in any feedback for those.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:33 AM
AcidJake75
Living in 350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im getting the whitelines this thursday and working on a subframe replacement as well..

Berto - will let you know if they help.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:41 AM
lgear080

this is in my future too - post followup insight after any installs...
Old 05-18-2010, 01:24 PM
vtchang

Rear sub frame can't be fun to replace.

Interested in feedback as well.
Old 05-19-2010, 04:43 AM
bdavids1

The worst part of replacing the rear subframe was getting the exhaust off. Second worst was getting the car lifted high enough on jackstands to allow me to pull the differential out, and pull the subframe out. I did have an impact wrench. I think I would have hated life if I had to do it with just a breaker bar. I didn't have to screw with bushings, so I don't have any feedback on that part.
Old 05-19-2010, 05:06 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Bushings:

SUSPENSION BUSHINGS TO WATCH/REPLACE, ETC:
https://my350z.com/forum/8293650-post23.html
IMHO on suspension bushings, the dammn 'compression arm to car' side bushing is my most hated!!!

The translink front is the known 'to be a failure' but its not expensive to replace with whiteline or spl replacements.

REAR DIFF:
SPL
www.splparts.com
Like mentioned, SPL sells the bushings for the 3 locations on the Z rear diff. (two ears at front of the diff and one at rear subframe diff STUD). If you call SPL you can possibly get them to sell you only the rear subframe bushing alone, but they typically dont want to as going solid rear with out front can lead to diff doing a "diving board" motion which is NOT wanted!!!

350z motorsports:
http://www.350zmotorsports.com/featu...l-bushing.html
They sell the rear only if anyone wants ONLY the rear:

SPL two front ear solid bushings:

SPL rear solid diff bushing in subframe - rear diff STUD:

WHITELINE - from what i see only offers the two front ears for the diff, they dont offer a rear bushing........
Whiteline bushings shown in one of the front ears:

PREVENTATIVE MAINTENANCE - REAR BUSHING IS NOT BLOWN:
So, if your rear sub frame bushing is NOT oozing crappy silicone everywhere another option is to install whiteline front ear bushings or ONLY the front SPL bushings and then maybe sound performance diff brace: (installing front is NOT labor intensive)
SOUND PERFORMANCE BRACE:

https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-...brace-kit.html
OR
INJECTED PERFORMANCE PASSENGER SIDE BRACE:

https://my350z.com/forum/drivetrain/...brace-new.html

ALSO,
SUBFRAME BUSHINGS:
Whiteline - 4 each upper supframe to unibody mount locations:

you can see the spl solid subframe bushing in also in that pic.

Also, check your sway bar bushings, steering rack and transmission mount bushing...

-J
Attached Thumbnails Who got bushings?-img_2118.jpg   Who got bushings?-img_2164.jpg   Who got bushings?-new12509-058.jpg   Who got bushings?-spdiffbrace1.jpg  

Last edited by JasonZ-YA; 06-25-2010 at 04:37 AM.
Old 05-19-2010, 05:26 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Would also like to say..........the diff bushings, most people blow the rear subframe and silicone comes running down the diff housing.....

replacing ONLY the rear diff subframe bushing to solid isnt a good idea.....the diff can deflect up and down if the front two ears are not replaced as well.........

SPL is the only one i know of to make all 3 solid....

whiteline makes the fronts, but of course doesnt make the rear because urethane isnt the material of choice back there........would need to be solid.....

i have yet to see anyone do SPL rear, and whiteline front, but its better than not doing front at all i would say.............

and doing whiteline front or only spl solid front and SoundPer brace rear OR Injected Per "IF" you still have a good rear OEM subframe bushing may be fine, but who's to say you may not ever blow the rear one.

This would however could be good preventative maintenance for someone that doesn't have the technical know how to remove the rear diff subframe oem bushing and press in the spl solid - because installing the front ears and SP rear brace looks to be a easy job for sure..............

food for thought......I bet it would be fine, cause it takes "time" for the rear one to go out, and that correlates to sag/age from the front ones and aggressive driving..

-J

Last edited by JasonZ-YA; 06-07-2010 at 04:13 AM.
The following users liked this post:
PaulBJrZ33 (05-21-2019)
Old 05-19-2010, 05:30 AM
AcidJake75
Living in 350Z

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by JasonZ-YA
i have yet to see anyone do SPL rear, and whiteline front, but its better than not doing front at all i would say.............
-J
Already in progress..
Old 05-19-2010, 05:46 AM
4SHIZZIL

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I have started the SPL aluminum set on my G....good bye flex....hello Vibration!

Alberto...talk to NYCQueens he has them all from SPL...his car is at franks, he is in Baghdad right now but frank can tell you how they feel. I would assume all would be tollerable but scared of that center rear solid diff one...I bet that vibration is crazy and I also wonder if it would increase or introduce wheel hop?

Last edited by 4SHIZZIL; 05-19-2010 at 05:48 AM.
Old 05-19-2010, 05:49 AM
AcidJake75
Living in 350Z

Originally Posted by 4SHIZZIL
.I bet that vibration is crazy and I also wounder if it would increase or introduce wheel hop?
its actually supposed to DECREASE it - I got my hop once that bushing failed and I got liquid all over my subframe...been that way since.. if it aint broke dont fix it - however if it is broke - then solid bushings are the way to go..vibration or not..
Old 05-19-2010, 06:07 AM
Barnabas
National Z Club President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 4SHIZZIL
I have started the SPL aluminum set on my G....good bye flex....hello Vibration!

Alberto...talk to NYCQueens he has them all from SPL...his car is at franks, he is in Baghdad right now but frank can tell you how they feel. I would assume all would be tollerable but scared of that center rear solid diff one...I bet that vibration is crazy and I also wonder if it would increase or introduce wheel hop?
My full set from SPL is being installed this week...

Allan (H.M.F.I.C) had his put on and loves it!!

Frank loves the way lances car feels said it got rid of all the play in the rear.
Old 05-19-2010, 06:43 AM
4SHIZZIL

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks all....next mod for me....lol
Old 05-19-2010, 07:05 AM
Kwame

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by bdavids1
The worst part of replacing the rear subframe was getting the exhaust off. Second worst was getting the car lifted high enough on jackstands to allow me to pull the differential out, and pull the subframe out. I did have an impact wrench. I think I would have hated life if I had to do it with just a breaker bar. I didn't have to screw with bushings, so I don't have any feedback on that part.
I'd also like to add that a case of "nuts off," a transmission/differential jack and extra deep impact sockets will aid in removing the rear subframe.
Old 05-19-2010, 08:02 AM
vtchang

^ All great information. This is why I come here. Nothing will ever replace experience.

I wonder how many people we need to get a group buy. Looks like we have a fair amount of interesting.
Old 05-19-2010, 08:07 AM
lek at ngc

^^ group buy ftw!!

Quick Reply: Who got bushings?