Notices
Mid-Atlantic Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Washington D.C.

My engine Blown and Stealership trying to back out of it.

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 10:43 AM
Nicolasr21

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by derekinthez
If you're gonna do your own maintenance you gotta keep your own records.
I think I just learned that...thanks for the reminder.
I've always done maintanence in every car I've owned, and it never occured to me to keep receipts. It just didn't.

Originally Posted by Skv012a
Try to hit up Nissan in Chantilly, VA because they're fairly cool with us Z/G/GT-R guys.
Thats a good idea.

But if anyone has any recipts that they purchased oil in the last 2 yrs that they wana share I don't mind sending a few bones your way.
I'm sure someone is more organized than my absent minded self.
Old 11-02-2010, 04:21 PM
jeffie7

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Nicolasr21
I think I just learned that...thanks for the reminder.
I've always done maintanence in every car I've owned, and it never occured to me to keep receipts. It just didn't.
Don't worry, even if you had them, the dealership would say something about them being not enough.

Bottom line, unless they can prove that you neglected your car, they have to fix your car if its under warranty.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:57 AM
djParis
Retired Racer

Make an excel spreadsheet with the mileage and services performed. Include other stupid stuff as well such as emissions tests, state inspections, even wiper blades etc. When it really comes down to it having receipts for oil/filters doesn't do anything but prove that you purchased them, whether or not they were installed/changed is another story. Leave the ball in their court to prove otherwise.
Old 11-03-2010, 02:25 PM
Greddytwin350Z

Man I feel the same way. I never drive my car to worry about servicing it but I do all the maintainence on my fiances car 07 Maxima. I truly think no matter what you show them they will find a reason not to fix it. Thats how they make money. Most people would say jsut go ahead and fix and they would bill you. I would immediately call Nissan and file a complaint. Good luck.
Old 11-03-2010, 06:05 PM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I never logged a single oil change, luckily my warranty is expired (and VOIDED) so it doesn't matter any more.

I'm curious how you blew a stock engine... it typically takes F/I or zero oil to completely blow a VQ.
Old 11-04-2010, 04:06 PM
Lemans350zTT

Hello 350z peps,

I have a 05' Touring Model.
40k Miles
Engine is bone Stock
I did oil and filter change every 2500miles+/- with FULL Synthetic Royal Purple or Mobile 1 and K&N filter or Mobile 1 filter.

I need help, ideas, suggestions: The engine in my car blew, I did all maintenance ie oil/filter/spark/belt/etc changes, my self, my car is to low to take to jiffy lube or any other shop. I bought oil, filter, etc and did it my self. But I never kept the receipts. Stealership wants proof of maintenance. What can I do?
I already flipped my house upside down, and didn't find 1 oil/filter purchase receipt. Do any of you have any receipts laying around that I could borrow lol?
Or do you know anyone that could write up a receipt saying that they sold me oil?

The Stealership says that they might cover but they need some kinda proof of maintenance.

I don't know what to do.

Sup man not sure if im to late to help...Im the GSM at a nissan dealer in chantilly. The dealerships are going to give you a hard time it is what it is they dont want to work for free. anyway if you want to shoot me your vin# i can check and see if your z falls into the Oil comsuption problem that the 350z had and that may be help. if you want. other wise good luck man.
Old 11-26-2010, 07:40 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Question

My engine Blown is pretty vague. Blown engine like a hole in the bottom? Did you get the car up and running?
Old 12-14-2010, 05:07 PM
Nicolasr21

I hardly log in here...

So this is what happened. I provided a "Record" of maintenance to the Stealership, Receipts contained name, info, mileage, model, year, price paid for service. shop info ect.
Stealership came back saying that since the Shop didn't put VIN# they deemed the "Record" invalid.
They offered as the only option sign a paper stating that I would authorize them taking apart the engine, if they noticed lack of maintenance then SOL and I would cover the tear down of 400$. Since they didn't accept the record provided I accepted.

Turns out that the cause of engine failure was due to the OIL PUMP....and well you can only imagine how much damage was done. There ordering the "Long Block" anyone know what that actually means?
All expenses will be covered under warranty, I got lucky. But at first they really did give me a huge hassle for not providing maintenance record and what I provided they considered not valid since the receipts didn't have a VIN#
-Has anyone ever heard of this?
-Maintenance records from another shop not valid due to VIN# not being included in the Receipts?
Old 12-14-2010, 06:41 PM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Received 118 Likes on 63 Posts

Long block is an assembled engine. The lack of oil pressure probably destroyed the heads and all......
Old 12-14-2010, 06:57 PM
stein

Glad it's working out to your favor. Too bad you couldn't have taken it to another dealership that wasn't such dicks about it!
Old 12-14-2010, 07:59 PM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Received 118 Likes on 63 Posts

I am surprised Frederick Nissan was giving you the run around.....they are usually very good, and I generally hate stealerships.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:22 AM
Nicolasr21

Yeah I was thinking the same overall Frederick Nissan has been covering other miscelanious stuff under warranty no problem. But faced with the posibility of a new engine I guess them and Nissan Corp wanted to cover all bases. I just picked up my Z about 1hr ago. So glad that I don't have to ryde my mortocycle to&from work in this beautiful climate.

Nissan dealership just put in a long block into the engine to replace the last one which blew due to oil pump going out. My question is:

Do I need to break in the engine as I would a new car?

I asked the dealership they said no.

If I do have to break in the engine what would that consist of
Old 12-20-2010, 11:37 AM
abui01

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

breaking in the engine is a controversial topic. No one knows the "real" answer but I can tell you the one that makes most sense to me:

A new engine needs to be broken in under all RPM ranges from 0 to 7k. The BEST way to do it: on a dyno. The most critical break-in period is the 0 to 15 mile mark - break that portion in correctly and you'll be golden. Whatever you do, just don't "baby it" like most people suggest, this will cause you more harm than good as the rings won't seal properly if it only sees 3k RPMs.

On a side note: Gene (owner of Frederick Nissan) just dropped by to visit me as I was writing this post, LOL. What a coincidence.

Last edited by abui01; 12-20-2010 at 11:39 AM.
Old 12-20-2010, 11:49 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

what shop other than a nissan dealership puts the vin on a car oil change, or anything for that matter...

That dealership was just blowing crap up your azz........they didnt want to cover it and thats that..........you got lucky as the failed oil pump must be covered under warranty....

-J
Old 12-29-2010, 08:30 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Yeah I was thinking the same overall Frederick Nissan has been covering other miscelanious stuff under warranty no problem. But faced with the posibility of a new engine I guess them and Nissan Corp wanted to cover all bases. I just picked up my Z about 1hr ago. So glad that I don't have to ryde my mortocycle to&from work in this beautiful climate.

Nissan dealership just put in a long block into the engine to replace the last one which blew due to oil pump going out. My question is:

Do I need to break in the engine as I would a new car?

I asked the dealership they said no.

If I do have to break in the engine what would that consist of
The break in procedure is outlined in your owners manual.