Notices
Mid-Atlantic Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Washington D.C.

How strict are the laws in VA?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 04:10 PM
Deedilus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How strict are the laws in VA?

A Texan up here in Virginia. Oh brother. Hows it going everyone, I was curious about the laws up in Virginia. I'm out here working on a film until December, and before we start production I'm thinking of flying back to Texas and driving my Z out here so that (if) I get some free time I can try and hit up a open track day at one of your guys' tracks out here.

I was just curious as to how strict they are with laws regarding cars out here, a friend told me the cops watch out for out-of-state license plates and I haven't seen a single modded car out here in the month and a half or so that I've been out here, so just wondering if they've got strict anti-awesome-ification laws or anything. My only concerns are my Z is pretty damn low and I have test pipes (which I know is already a black flag, but out in San Antonio we're one of the few that don't have to deal with that but even in Austin you can find shops that will pass inspections and such anyway).

Opinions? Really wanting to get the Z out here, mainly for VIR. Omnomnom....

Last edited by Deedilus; 07-15-2011 at 02:43 PM.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:12 PM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Received 118 Likes on 63 Posts

Virginia has a hatred for the automobile.....VIR is worth it though. What film?
Old 07-14-2011, 04:16 PM
Deedilus

I can't really say much (confidentiality agreement in place atm). We filmed another movie out here last year called Alone, Yet Not Alone which was just finished being edited today. Love Virginia! Def wanna hit up VIR...

Last edited by Deedilus; 07-15-2011 at 02:42 PM.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:48 PM
WYZIWYG

Received 207 Likes on 154 Posts

http://suttlefilm.com/archives/209

Some of us MD folks avoid VA like the plague...or fat women...or fat women with the plague. Most of us have TPs, but as long as you have TX plates I doubt they'll mess with you unless you do something stupid while driving.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:52 PM
jeffie7

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There's nothing wrong with 90% of Virginia, only real thing I can flaw is no radar detectors.

NVA (Northern VA) on the other hand is in its own world.... If you go there, don't do chit, don't speed, don't change lanes without a blinker, don't ever make a right turn on red (up to I believe a $2500.00 ticket for that) and thankfully they got rid of the $3000.00 speed tickets.

God NVA sucks.

Great for food, and lots of places to go, but from a car stand point..... F no.
Old 07-14-2011, 10:15 PM
abui01

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No one in VA has seen my Z, it only makes brief appearances in MD
Old 07-14-2011, 10:33 PM
atomicgoofball
defies gravity

Originally Posted by Deedilus
A Texan up here in Virginia. Oh brother. Hows it going everyone, I was curious about the laws up in Virginia. I'm out here working on a film until December, and before we start production I'm thinking of flying back to Texas and driving my Z out here so that (if) I get some free time I can try and hit up a open track day at one of your guys' tracks out here.

I was just curious as to how strict they are with laws regarding cars out here, a friend told me the cops watch out for out-of-state license plates and I haven't seen a single modded car out here in the month and a half or so that I've been out here, so just wondering if they've got strict anti-awesome-ification laws or anything. My only concerns are my Z is pretty damn low and I have test pipes (which I know is already a black flag, but out in San Antonio we're one of the few that don't have to deal with that and even in Austin and stuff you can find shops that will pass inspections and such anyway).

Opinions? Really wanting to get the Z out here, mainly for VIR. Omnomnom....

awesome dude! are you an actor, director, producer, PA?

I've had my hands in the industry here and there, we should work together sometime!
Old 07-14-2011, 11:10 PM
Deedilus

Originally Posted by atomicgoofball
awesome dude! are you an actor, director, producer, PA?

I've had my hands in the industry here and there, we should work together sometime!
Pretty much just doing a whole buncha ****, haha. Assistant to the Director and basically just a part of the AD team. Also in charge of media development for our company so I'll be making the website and posters when we finish up.

Yeah man that would be fun! I'm loving VA so far, definitely want to come back sometime for some chill time.

Originally Posted by jeffie7
There's nothing wrong with 90% of Virginia, only real thing I can flaw is no radar detectors.

NVA (Northern VA) on the other hand is in its own world.... If you go there, don't do chit, don't speed, don't change lanes without a blinker, don't ever make a right turn on red (up to I believe a $2500.00 ticket for that) and thankfully they got rid of the $3000.00 speed tickets.

God NVA sucks.

Great for food, and lots of places to go, but from a car stand point..... F no.
Oh my dear god, don't say that! I'm in the Williamsburg area, I don't have to worry correct? So far I'm worried about how much I'm going to scrape, lots of roads out here so far are very... wavy. Haha.

Originally Posted by WYZIWYG
http://suttlefilm.com/archives/209

Some of us MD folks avoid VA like the plague...or fat women...or fat women with the plague. Most of us have TPs, but as long as you have TX plates I doubt they'll mess with you unless you do something stupid while driving.
That's the one! I work for the company that took over the entire film halfway through pretty much. "fun" stuff.

Alright so basically I should be okay yeah? I just got my car running 3 weeks before I left after it was out for a year and got my coilovers on it 4 days before I left, so I'm dying to drive it and I think VIR is callin mah name!
Old 07-15-2011, 05:56 AM
jeffie7

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Deedilus

Oh my dear god, don't say that! I'm in the Williamsburg area, I don't have to worry correct? So far I'm worried about how much I'm going to scrape, lots of roads out here so far are very... wavy. Haha.

You should be fine, it's nicer down there. Just avoid fairfax county.

www.youtube.com/jeffie7

let me know if you need any music stuff.

Last edited by jeffie7; 07-15-2011 at 05:57 AM.
Old 07-15-2011, 07:39 AM
insocova

true about out of state license plates. As far as too low/loud, other than some crappy roads, the cops around Wburg shouldn't mess with you. I drive between Franklin and Hampton Roads (Norfolk, Va Bch, etc.) and never have heard of modded cars/trucks getting messed with. I don't think a Z can get as loud as many of the lifted up full size trucks in my area and most people I know that have them don't get pulled for that. Most cops in VA do not have a tint meter in thier car. I might get a window tint ticket every other year or so but if you are out of state, they can't even enforce it on you.

Out towards VIR is fine. Just watch the speed limit on Hwy 58. They love to run radar sitting in the medians catching cars coming over the hills.
Old 07-15-2011, 09:58 AM
ZRuggernDC

Virginia Laws ****ING SUCK
Old 07-15-2011, 12:58 PM
Driven1
Professional

Don't speed or drive reckless and you're fine.

LOVE VIR.
Old 07-15-2011, 02:50 PM
Deedilus

Originally Posted by jeffie7
You should be fine, it's nicer down there. Just avoid fairfax county.

www.youtube.com/jeffie7

let me know if you need any music stuff.
Score, thanks for the info! And def man, stuff sounds great. Could never figure piano out, always made me get confused after doing two little verses so I just stuck with guitar, haha.

Originally Posted by insocova
true about out of state license plates. As far as too low/loud, other than some crappy roads, the cops around Wburg shouldn't mess with you. I drive between Franklin and Hampton Roads (Norfolk, Va Bch, etc.) and never have heard of modded cars/trucks getting messed with. I don't think a Z can get as loud as many of the lifted up full size trucks in my area and most people I know that have them don't get pulled for that. Most cops in VA do not have a tint meter in thier car. I might get a window tint ticket every other year or so but if you are out of state, they can't even enforce it on you.

Out towards VIR is fine. Just watch the speed limit on Hwy 58. They love to run radar sitting in the medians catching cars coming over the hills.
Score, good to know it's not as bad as everyone is saying it is. My exhaust setup is only loud when I'm on it, when I just cruise it it's very tolerable... When I'm on it is when it's ridiculously loud, but I rarely get on it in cities. Too scared of cops, hahah. My tint wasn't legal in even San Antonio, had to peel it off when I went to get the car inspected after I got it running, haven't put any more on so I'm safe there. I actually kinda like it better O.o

Originally Posted by Driven1
Don't speed or drive reckless and you're fine.

LOVE VIR.
Understood, sir.

So far it seems like the general opinion is down here in South/South-East (probably wrong, my sense of direction is about as terrible as James May's) it's not that bad, and that VIR is the all epic awesomeness. I definitely think I'm going to be flying back to drive the Z up now. Thanks for the info everyone!