Motorsports The Z in its Natural Habitat

Mid-Atlantic Zers: Summit Point April 11

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2002, 06:31 PM
commasense

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mid-Atlantic Zers: Summit Point April 11

Hey guys!

We have a unique opportunity to get a bunch of us together at Summit Point for Friday at the Track early next year. The situation is this: the track hasn't officially announced its 2003 schedule yet, but I've found out that the first three dates will be March 7, April 11, and May 9.

Which means that if a bunch of us call now and sign up, we can avoid the rush that usually fills up the sessions (for the novice groups) months in advance. It would be really cool to have 10 or 15 Z's there at once.

I suggest we gather at the April 11 session, which I think has a lower chance of rain than March. (I plan to be at all of them.)

If you've never done a High Performance Driver's Ed event, this is a great place to start. It's reasonably priced ($175), well-run, and centrally located near Charles Town, WV, less than two hours from most places in Maryland, Northern Virginia, West Virginia, and central Pennsylvania. For detailed info about the course and track, go here:

http://www.bsr-inc.com/FATT.HTM

The downside: you must call SOON! Like before Christmas. I spoke to the track today, and they said they expect to post the 2003 schedule in the next few days. Once they do, the first six months or more could fill up almost immediately. So forget about giving your wife/girlfriend that gold necklace for Christmas. You've got something better to do with that $175. Call (304) 725-6512 instead.

BTW, since this is instruction, not racing, your insurance should cover you in case of a mishap. Check with your agent to be sure, and make it clear that it is NOT competition. Also, if there's someone you trust to drive your car, two people can run in the same car (in different sessions) on the same day.

Call them NOW, and then let us know if we'll be seeing you there!

Here's a shot from one of my first FATT's three years ago.
Attached Thumbnails Mid-Atlantic Zers: Summit Point April 11-miata9a.jpg  
Old 12-19-2002, 04:14 AM
BigBadBuford

I will probably sign up for this day as well. My brother will probably bring his T/A WS6 and my friend wants to run his 300ZX TT. It will be cool if we can get a large group of 350Zs together. We should also try working on getting some other track dates together for next year, maybe go to Cecil again or an Auto-X. I've heard Englishtown is building a road course which I wouldn't mind trying out. Hopefully I can get that driving school in before we go to the track so I can start pushing the limits of the Z.
Old 12-19-2002, 04:28 AM
John

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I may be there, but I can't commit to anything until I switch jobs (for better pay)... hopefully that will materialize this week... Plus I may go to Mid-Ohio the weekend before, so I may give my car a little rest...

Exactly how many minutes of track time do you get at FATTs?

Last edited by John; 12-19-2002 at 04:58 AM.
Old 12-19-2002, 05:48 AM
commasense

Plus I may go to Mid-Ohio the weekend before, so I may give my car a little rest...
What event at Mid-Ohio?

Exactly how many minutes of track time do you get at FATTs?
Four sessions, 20-25 minutes each.
Old 12-19-2002, 06:41 AM
John

Mid-Ohio w/ NASA OH/IN April 5-6...
Old 12-19-2002, 06:46 AM
noahbuddy

Singed up for Apr 11. Sweeeeeet. My first track event.

The wife and I both will be driving in different sessions...
I know, I know... but it's her car.
Old 12-19-2002, 07:37 AM
commasense

BigBadBuford said:

Hopefully I can get that driving school in before we go to the track so I can start pushing the limits of the Z.
Actually, I'd suggest doing it the other way round: hold off on the driving school until you have a few track days and/or autocrosses under your belt. That way you'll be able to get more out of that Barber Dodge (or whatever) racing car.

I had been doing FATT and Seat Time (and a couple of autocrosses) for a year and a half before doing Skip B. I think I would have been more intimidated by the power of the race car, and less able to use its capabilities if I hadn't had the sense of car control and knowledge of racing lines, braking techniques, etc., that I got from driving my own car on the track first.

Of course, I'm an old fart and you're a young hot dog, so maybe you wouldn't have that problem.
Old 12-19-2002, 08:46 AM
BigBadBuford

Originally posted by commasense
BigBadBuford said:

Actually, I'd suggest doing it the other way round: hold off on the driving school until you have a few track days and/or autocrosses under your belt. That way you'll be able to get more out of that Barber Dodge (or whatever) racing car.

I had been doing FATT and Seat Time (and a couple of autocrosses) for a year and a half before doing Skip B. I think I would have been more intimidated by the power of the race car, and less able to use its capabilities if I hadn't had the sense of car control and knowledge of racing lines, braking techniques, etc., that I got from driving my own car on the track first.

Of course, I'm an old fart and you're a young hot dog, so maybe you wouldn't have that problem.
I've done an auto-X back in October, so I have a little bit of experience. My parents wanted to pay for us to go to a racing school for X-mas, but they thought they were only a few hundered dollars, so I think I will just ask them to pay for one of these sessions instead since it is instructional.
Old 12-19-2002, 09:41 AM
John

AutoX's are completely different than road racing... you have to learn to be much smoother on a road course... As I recommended to you before, get some actual track experience before you move up to a racing school... If I was going to do it all over, I probably would have bought a Miata to learn how to carry as much momentum through a turn, then move up a more powerful car (like the Z). I'm sure your parents will still pay for a school, even if you take it after some more track experience (kinda like an IOU).
Old 12-19-2002, 11:34 AM
Gfactor

I was going to wait until after the New Year to sign up, but now I guess I better do it soon.

I ended up with a S2000 instead of a Track Z (it was mostly a financial decision) it should be interesting to see how the cars actually match up on a race circuit.

Hopefully I won’t be regretting my decision too much

I do have about 800 or so miles of bike track days at the Point, should give me a slight advantage.

George
Old 12-19-2002, 12:33 PM
noahbuddy

I had asked before but didn't really get a response...

but, does anyone know of a racing game that has Summit Point?

I know GT3 had one being developed but it's been abandoned.

Just thought it might be a good idea to get a little familiar with the layout before hand.
Old 12-19-2002, 01:05 PM
Gfactor

I don't know of any game, but you can order a on-board video from Porsche Racer Keith Peare (he has a whole series, Lime Rock, Mosport, Pocono etc)

I bought mine at the Summit Point store; there is a number on the back of the tape to order 1-877-377-0022

He is doing 1:18 laps on the main course, that is flying on that course.

It’s a really clear view of the track and corners, very good for learning the track.

George
Old 01-07-2003, 09:14 PM
commasense

Default Sign up soon!

The Summit Point Web site has posted the dates for the first four Fridays at the track, so they will probably start to fill up soon.

It looks like there are already three or four of us Zers signed up for April 11, and it would be great to have a whole gang.

So if you've always wanted to do this, now's the time. The price is only $175. Don't worry about schedule conflicts: if you can't make it, they let you transfer to a later class.

If you can't make April 11, sign up for any other date: I'm hoping to go to most of them.

You gotta do it: it's the most fun you can have with your pants on. See you there.
Old 01-18-2003, 05:58 PM
commasense

Default Change of date

Summit Point has changed the April 11 date to April 18.

I hope that doesn't kill it for anyone.

Still time to sign up before the sessions fill up, but don't wait too long. Let's have a really nice 350Z turnout.

See you there. (Or on March 7 or May 9.)
Old 01-23-2003, 08:38 PM
commasense

Default Don't delay

Summit Point's March 7 Friday at the Track is already full in the Novice group, so the April 18 session will fill up very soon. If you want to join us, act now!

They've added May 23 and June 20 dates.

See you there!
Old 04-20-2003, 10:24 AM
commasense

Default Where was everyone?

So Noahbuddy, and others: did the rain scare you off? I was the only Z at Summit Point's FATT on April 18. I had a good time, despite a damp/wet track. And at 45-50 degrees, it was much warmer than Mid-Ohio two weeks ago! Sorry you couldn't make it.

fluids_gts (Celica GT-S) was there and came over to say hi, and reminded me that several of you guys said you'd be coming.

If you're putting it off until May 9, I may not see you. I'm thinking about going to the NASA event at BeaveRun that weekend, although if I decide against going to PA, I may go to FATT, unless work keeps me from doing either.

But I'm definitely on for May 23, with a friend who's coming out for his first time. And I'll probably be out for the June and July dates, FATT and Seat Time.

BTW, I was watching the History Channel show about the Z cars yesterday, and found a great connection between our car and Summit Point: the first race won by a 280ZX was at Summit Point in 1979, driven by no less than Paul Newman!.

The show had a lot of other interesting info, but unfortunately, it was made in 1996, and so it had nothing about the 350Z. And I noticed that the historical adviser was my old boss at the National Air and Space Museum, Walter Boyne.

BTW, the Shenandoah track (SP's third circuit, now under construction), is coming along well. You can see the earth being moved around as you leave the gate near the office. The first session on it is scheduled for Aug 1, and I've signed up already. It'll be great to have two tracks so close by.

Here's a shot from Friday, taken by David Newman, a pro track photog. (Yes, I actually passed the Pantera.)

See you next time!
Attached Thumbnails Mid-Atlantic Zers: Summit Point April 11-summit-2003alr.jpg  
Old 04-21-2003, 02:39 AM
fluids_gts

Thumbs up

Had a good day at the track, despite the wet start and cooler weather (although it sounds warmer than the Ohio event). Actually, I found the wet helped me progress a lot with finesse and smooth transitions since I tended to run slower and the consequences of mistakes were more readily apparent.

It was nice to get a chance to meet you commasense... hope to see you again as time permits back at Summit Point along with the rest of the 350z crowd! Maybe sometime I can beg a ride off you... I have been dying to sit in one.
Old 04-24-2003, 05:47 AM
noahbuddy

Yep, the rain did us in. We rescheduled, but it was filled until Aug 1. Good thing though, I'm still finishing up the stereo install. I took it to Mobile Audio on Backlick Rd. for some custom sub enclosures and a Nismo replica wing install. They had the car for two weeks while we where on vacation and when we went to pick it up the Saturday before the FATT, they hadn't done crap with the car. Pissed us off!!! So it's a good thing we rescheduled, cause they probably would have not let us race with all the guts of the Z removed and the stereo parts laying around.